Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Stevens Favorite Help (Read 1614 times)
burntwater
Senior Forum Member

Stevens Favorite Help
May 5th, 2023 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
I ran into a little Favorite in 22 long or should I say it ran into me. Anyway I bought it sight unseen thinking it was a candidate for my young nephew. Well let’s cut to the chase. It’s  seen better days, it ser# 450 so old but it’s loose and the barrel absorbs most of the light. 

I’d like to get the rifle accurate enough to interest this kid. Extractor is chewed up, the lever sort of dangles, quite bit of play side to side on the block and the barrel is awful. So I need a doctor who can help. I never seem to remember the shops who re-line and work on these. So asking for recommendations 

Rick

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Stevens Favorite Help
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2023 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
John Taylor, who posts here, is your man.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

He doesn't work or answer requests for work Friday night and Saturday, so be patient in contacting him.

dave

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - May 5th, 2023 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
Stevens favorites have a simple action and are pretty easy to work on. I can’t recommend a smith, but it sounds like it is in need of a new link and link pins to tighten up the action, along with a new extractor and a liner. Jack First gun parts and Wisners have most of the parts you’ll need, made from better steel. You might possibly get by with new oversized link pins and I would then recommend hardening the original link. Only the earliest favorites have an actual serial number, most favorites have a three digit code with a letter prefix, supposedly repeated. (Assembly code) You didn’t say which model favorite that you have. There are many different variations in favorites with two basic models of the original favorites made from 1894 to 1939, the 1894 or 1915 model. Once rebuilt I would only use standard velocity ammo in it, since it’s somewhat of a weak action.
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2023 at 9:27pm by Sure shot »  

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 5th, 2023 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
Pretty much agree with Sureshot.  Except that the original link can only be case hardened - they were just a mild steel stamping.

O.P. doesn't say what tools and skills he may have.  Oversize link pins are easy if you have a mill or a sturdy drill press, but he'll be buying about $50 worth of reamers to do it right.   

A liner in the barrel will cost almost as much as the little rifle is worth, though.  He should have a look at what they are going for on Gunbroker, before he talks to John.  (I used to do .22 liners myself, but now I give them to John; he has better tools and does a better job.)

<div class=

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - May 5th, 2023 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Post a picture as soon as you can, so we'll know what model you have.

<div class=

IP Logged

burntwater
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - May 5th, 2023 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
I need to thank you all for the info so far. Links, firing pins simple partsi ca do if parts are indeed available. But a liner I believe is necessary. This barrel is loose. I can push a patch through it with very little feel. Same with a 22 brush so it will take a 25 brush with a bit of push but it ain’t right

Rick

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - May 5th, 2023 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
I don't know that anybody is selling links.  It's a tricky part in that the hole spacing is critical.  Having measured a few in the course of planning to make some, the variance left me half convinced that they were a "selective fit" item at the factory. 

Any gate, John Taylor can deal with that, too.

<div class=

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - May 6th, 2023 at 4:20am
Print Post  
Jack First gun parts has the new made links for the 1894 and 1915 favorites.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - May 6th, 2023 at 4:27am
Print Post  
Catalog says the 1894 style is "original, used", but the 1915 link is "tool steel, heat treated" which is a definite improvement.

(what are we both doing, awake at this hour?)

<div class=

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - May 6th, 2023 at 7:43am
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on May 6th, 2023 at 4:27am:
Catalog says the 1894 style is "original, used", but the 1915 link is "tool steel, heat treated" which is a definite improvement.

(what are we both doing, awake at this hour?)

I guess I need to read rather than just look at the pictures! Grin
I’m usually up by 4 o’clock my bladder wakes me up.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - May 6th, 2023 at 8:21am
Print Post  
Hmm, ditto.  Ain't getting old wonderful?

Hopefully the O.P. will let us know soon which model he's got.

<div class=

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - May 7th, 2023 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
I had a Favorite given to me in pieces. The link was damaged so I copied it as close as I could, installed a liner and a few other repairs. I must have been a few thou off on the hole spacing because it locks up a little tighter than I would like. Plan on taking a few thou off the length of the barrel to make it operate a little easier. They are a fun little rifle and I have had many come through the shop for liners

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - May 7th, 2023 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
Or add a shim between the barrel shoulder and the receiver face.  Then if it loosens up later on, you can just take out the shim.

I think it was Allyn Tedmon who told the story of having Axel Petersen fit up a Favorite for his young daughter, with which she gave the adults a run for their money at 200 yards.
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2023 at 8:07pm by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

cedestech
Participating Member

Reply #13 - May 7th, 2023 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Mr. Taylor (John Taylor, Taylor Machine) rebuilt mine from the ground up including making a new barrel for it. Shoots fantastic. He does fantastic work at a more then fair price. 

Smiley

IP Logged

burntwater
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - May 8th, 2023 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
It’s age, experience and wisdom that yields tempered but accurate truth. Any of you old birds know what I’m talking about ? 

The model of this ‘ Favorite ‘ is a bit difficult for me to determine. ser# is 446, barrel stamped J. Stevens A & T Co. Chicopee Falls, MA. Barrel and lower tang. No serial stamping on the bottom of the barrel. Barrel is 1/2 Octagon 22” long no ‘ Favorite ‘ stamping on top of barrel. Has the black old style hard rubber butt stock plate marked “ Stevens Favorite “. My guess is this rifle is a Model 17 ?  In reviewing de Hass he notes with these rifles “ it is my understanding that the next attempt to prevent a droppy finger lever was a small flat spring - - - “ some dropped lever is a known issue apparently. 

I’m going to spend some hours chasing the barrel clean but I’ve done quite a few old pipes and after 30-50 cycles thru the barrel I’ll know if further labor is worth it. But first I need to get some weather and see how it shoots. 

It needs an extractor which I have no problems fitting up but my concern is the cost to reline this barrel. Not looking for a Walther liner but want enough accuracy to promote marksmanship in a kid who’s interested. I know growing up most all the 22’s I shot had two things in common. Really heavy triggers and poor accuracy. We blamed ourselves then left the range for baseball where you had some control. I don’t want that 
So ballpark lining costs will give me the tilt number of go or no got 

Rick

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint