Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) High Wall SST wont set (Read 1091 times)
chawk

High Wall SST wont set
May 4th, 2023 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
I have a flat spring highwall with a SST but it wont set.  Everything works as a normal trigger however.   

Here is the embarrassing thing: a few years ago I wanted to see if a double set trigger assembly would fit.  I tried to swap some parts, saw that it wouldn't work, and then swapped them back.  At least I think I swapped them back correctly.  I can't remember if this problem started at that time or not, all I know is it isn't working now.  Looking at the SST diagram I think I have the right parts installed.   

Any advice is appreciated.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: High Wall SST wont set
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2023 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
I assume the adjustment screw is in place.  If it is screwed in too far the trigger will not set.  That is the first thing to check.  You can pull the lower tang and play with the trigger if needed.

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

chawk

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2023 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
I have removed the trigger assembly from that gun as well as a functioning low wall.  The high wall trigger can now be set, but it doesn't 'click' when set.  It also relies on gravity to lower the knockoff or else nothing will catch.  The low wall trigger makes a nice solid 'click' and can be set in any orientation.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2023 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Is the knockoff engaged with the trigger?  There is a cross pin in the knockoff that fits into the grooves in the trigger.  The knockoff should move up and down when the trigger moves.

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

chawk

Reply #4 - May 4th, 2023 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
The knockoff moves with the trigger just as in the functioning low wall.

Thanks for helping out.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 4th, 2023 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
OK, 
I hesitate to tell you this method of fixing a high wall set trigger, but here I go.

Step 1: Sacrifice a chicken.
Step 2: decide if you really want to not sell your soul!

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - May 5th, 2023 at 8:48am
Print Post  
I've spent countless hours working on Winchester single set triggers and found that each one is unique. The last one I worked on, I made from an original trigger by drilling it out and filing the little notch for the trigger catch. I finally had to take some off the bottom of the hook to make it work. I found that even changing out knockouts will either make the trigger work or not. It's just a matter of a thousandth or two of an inch. I haven't found a good replacement knock-off spring yet that I'm satisfied with. The last good ones I had were made by the now defunct Ballard Rifle Company.  It's really hard to give advice unless you have the trigger and tang in hand

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #7 - May 8th, 2023 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
I got a SST on a flat spring high wall I bought from Clark Bros Gun Shop as a pile of parts with a barreled receiver. It works as reliably as an old time freight train.  Smiley
I also have a SST that I got as parts (from a trusted source) that I added to my low wall musket when it was converted to Special Sporter configuration… it is an ongoing source of frustration as it just will not stay adjusted.  Smiley
I would agree that each and every Winchester SST is a law unto itself.  Roll Eyes
Froggie

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - May 8th, 2023 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
chawk wrote on May 4th, 2023 at 6:24pm:
I have a flat spring highwall with a SST but it wont set.  Everything works as a normal trigger however.   

Here is the embarrassing thing: a few years ago I wanted to see if a double set trigger assembly would fit.  I tried to swap some parts, saw that it wouldn't work, and then swapped them back.  At least I think I swapped them back correctly.  I can't remember if this problem started at that time or not, all I know is it isn't working now.  Looking at the SST diagram I think I have the right parts installed.   

Any advice is appreciated.

Are these all original parts or replacements?

IP Logged

chawk

Reply #9 - May 8th, 2023 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
All parts are original.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - May 9th, 2023 at 7:10am
Print Post  
Since these are original parts and we're once working, I don't suggest you remove any metal from anything or try to make adjustments by bending the knock off spring. The 2 most common things you can do is back off the little set screw in the trigger about a quarter of a turn and see if that helps but I suspect you've already done that. The the other thing that you can do is to back off the knock off spring screw about a 1/2 a turn and see if that helps.  Normally that screw should be in all the way but sometimes it helps to back it off.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint