Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Mounting Modern Scope on CPA (Read 1239 times)
Dr.J

Mounting Modern Scope on CPA
May 3rd, 2023 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
I understand that this may be tantamount to heresy, but here goes. Is there a way to mount an internal adjustment scope on a CPA that is currently setup for an external adjustment scope?  My rifle is currently setup for.22 bpcr with an MVA10x Model A scope.  The mount spacing is 12” center to center. Is there a way to mount an internal adjustment scope without drilling more holes? Thanks in advance for your comments. Tom

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Mounting Modern Scope on CPA
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2023 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
I had Steve Earle make me some Unertl type mounts/rails about 4" long, with no cuts for Unertl mounts, just a dovetail rail.   

I use Tasco steel mounts intended for a grooved receiver, they clamp down on the rail perfectly.  I'll attach a picture.

You can use a Weaver or Picatinny rail, just look less attractive.  I did that once on a rolling block when I thought it was needed for load development.  Later I learned I could trust the iron sights, no scope needed.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

watchthewind
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2023 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
CPA produces a base, but they are out of stock.

ASSRA Member # 11408

IP Logged

gewehrfreund
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2023 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
This is how my  44 1/2 Shuttleworth barreled 32-40 came to me, so I had no choice.

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - May 4th, 2023 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Buy some blank picatinny rail and have it drilled.

I did this for a Ruger #1 that was drilled for Unertl/Lyman mounts.  The nice thing about rail is that you can really play around with eye relief and ring placement on the scope.

IP Logged

Dr.J

Reply #5 - May 4th, 2023 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. Tom

IP Logged

GWarden
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - May 6th, 2023 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
go to for sale, single shot products. frnkeore makes what you are looking for. I have a couple of these and they work great.
bob

Game Warden: what boys dream of being and old men wish they could have been

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #7 - May 17th, 2023 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
Yes if your rifle is set up for target blocks.  I simply use a set of one inch rings made for a grooved receiver.  As they are the rings I use are a loose fit so have to be shimmed. The shimming was simple. I found a set of brass letter stencils at the dump. They cut easily with scissors fold easily and are just the right thickness to get a good tight fit of the ring to the base . Just lay your cut out shim material on the base with about a quarter inch overhang on each side.  Press the over hang down on each side as far as you can with your finger then install the ring over the shim and done.  The one issue is the spacing of the target blocks.  They are usually spaced too far apart for modern short scopes. I like the old Weaver K model scopes for this purpose because they have a long tube. Other old model scopes with internal adjustments and long tubes are the Redfield 3200 and 3600 and the Lyman all American in the higher end magnification. I keep several Weaver K-10's on hand for this purpose.  As an example I recently picked up a Stevens rifle with factory target blocks and mounting an old Weaver K-10 in this fashion got me shooting right away.  If your not lucky enough to find a set of letter stencils at the dump then try using a pop can but with that you may have to double the thickness to get a good tight fit.  I can send you one of my stencils if you want.
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2023 at 10:11pm by bullshop »  

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #8 - May 18th, 2023 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
Some of the very early steel tube Weaver T- models also had a fairly long tube.  I have an old T-20 that is quite long and fits the wide spaced target blocks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint