Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Modifying collectible rifles to make shooters. (Read 6967 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Modifying collectible rifles to make shooters.
Reply #45 - Aug 16th, 2023 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
I have an original Remington #1 Sporting Rifle in .44-77 with single set trigger, and 34" heavy full octagon barrel. I've owned it for sometime now, and right off I noted it was never D&T for a tang sight! Something that was sad because I wanted to wring it out and see how it might shoot at longer distances. But not having been D&T after all these years makes me question my urge to do it vs. keeping it original. I keep telling myself nobody will ever know, since it's not like scope base holes. But I still can't bring myself to changing the old gal after nearly 150 years.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #46 - Aug 16th, 2023 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
I also have one like that but its 40-70 bottle neck. Still like it came from the factory.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #47 - Aug 16th, 2023 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
Schutzenbob wrote on Aug 16th, 2023 at 6:35pm:
Ah, this gives me an opportunity to wax poetic. My father had a few single-shots but the only one I remember shooting very much was an 1884 Springfield, which as I recall, shot very well. Sometime later, in the 1970's I decided that I wanted a proper single-shot preferably a schuetzen model, but those were not usually available. Undaunted, and constantly inundated by creepy lying grasping losers "ohyeahlemeseethat!" I was able to procure a Winchester Hiwall barreled action in 32-40, and with the help of Paul Shuttleworth, I stocked it up with a Laudensack stock. It actually came out pretty nicely. I started shooting my new rifle, and people often yelled strange things at me "whakinaguniszat?" "I ain't never seen no Winchester that looked that!" "That ain't original!" I got the impression that most of the folks out there were hardcore assholes! And yaknow, I was right. But I digress, that was fifty years ago. There are very few factory original rifles (single-shot rifles) out there. Most guns I owned were abused by some of the idiots I described above. I know that some of the "original" rifles in collections have been around the bubba-barn a few times. Oh well....

Bob, what a treat for us to see a picture of that HW!   Smiley
Those old abused abandoned and rusty target rifles are the best kind. Who cares what you do to them.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #48 - Aug 16th, 2023 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Wes, as I recall, I sold that rifle to Wes Miller, but then Wes died and I think Tony Heitz bought it at auction, Tony told me that he sold it to someone in the bay area. It was a nice rifle, #4 half octagon Winchester barrel with a very nice Mann-Niedner firing pin. I don't have any good photos of it, but this is me shooting it at the Coors Match in 1983. Photo was taken by Barry Darr. 
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2023 at 9:01pm by Schutzenbob »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint