Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Modifying collectible rifles to make shooters. (Read 6968 times)
MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Re: Modifying collectible rifles to make shooters.
Reply #30 - Apr 10th, 2023 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
All righty, fellow ASSRA followers, who could so this .25-25 chamber rebuild - i.e., who has the reamer?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Apr 10th, 2023 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
Not I, but Dave Manson could whip one up for $200 or so.  In the cause of restoring that rare rifle, a mere pittance.

<div class=

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Apr 11th, 2023 at 10:02am
Print Post  
I sold my .25-25 reamer to somebody several years ago.  You might post a WTB/B/R and see if he’s still around and done with it.  Can’t remember if it was here or Cast Boolits.

I would think somebody good with boring tools (like a lathebore mould maker) could reproduce the straight taper in the rear of your sleeved chamber and blend it in with the remaining front part.  Or you could make a “D” reamer to accomplish same.

I fixed the mangled rear of a .22-15-60 chamber by drilling/boring the bad part out to fit a 3/8” diameter piece of turned .22 caliber barrel steel.  It was maybe 1” long, turned concentric with the worn-out bore.

I turned a piece of graphite rod (“borrowed” from our Glass Shop) to fit the remaining chamber and bore, and to fit the .22 barrel.  I tinned the surfaces, put in the graphite rod, heated the pieces, and pressed the bushing home, with the graphite keeping everything concentric.

When the setup was cool, I drilled/busted the graphite up, set the lathe compound to the angle specified on the .22-15 chamber drawing in Kelver’s Pope book and bored it out until it was continuous with the remaining chamber in front.  The rim seat was cut with a lathe tool as well.

I had to make a reamer of sorts to take out an invisible obstruction (best guess a little solder that had come up out of the front of the bushing), but after that, my precious hoard of shells chambered, fired and extracted normally and with no marks on them.

I will have to say, as an Experienced Shooter of the class of freakishly long cartridges (.22-15-60, .25-25 and .40-90-3-1/4”), trying to make target quality loads in these calibers will soon dispel any anguish about how Original the specimen you’re playing around with is.  You will have other and much more annoying fish to fry. Wink
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2023 at 10:22pm by Bent_Ramrod »  

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #33 - May 1st, 2023 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
Thirty plus years ago when I first got interested in this game I happened upon a very nice early production high wall in 32-20, completely unmolested and a very nice Stevens 44 1/2 in 32-40, just the basic plain sporting rifles, but both in nice original condition.  I couldn’t bear to tear them up so I sold them and picked up several incomplete or otherwise abused high- and low walls in order to build the shooters I desired.   

In the process, I even “rescued” a couple of these sad examples by finding original parts to return them to their “original” state. One in particular got a careful once over (or two) from none other than John Campbell between his two books on the subject.  I was very gratified when he said that other than the front (globe) sight looking “too new”, in his opinion it would pass for all original.  Needless to say, that one was neither altered nor sold!

Froggie

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - May 4th, 2023 at 12:59am
Print Post  
Try John Taylor

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #35 - May 4th, 2023 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
I always looked for altered Highwalls with set triggers with damaged original barrels since I would always modify them for precision shooting:

Alterations to my Highwalls were:

- Ron Smith gain twist choked barrel
- bushed block with Niedner firing pin conversion
- free floating forearm on a hanger
- scope rail designed for both scope and iron sight switch
- through tang bolt for rear stock tightening
- coil hammer spring conversion

I did not wish to destroy the collector value of an original so I looked for Bubba modified rifles to convert.

IP Logged

wesg
Senior Forum Member

Reply #36 - Jul 8th, 2023 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
I think that 25-20 SS Dave has was mine. I remember shipping something to Oregon. Got that at a shop on the Nevada side of Lake Tahoe.

A friend of mine was immediately telling me I should rebuild it into 'something useful' ... 40-65, 45-70. Whatever ...

I shot it a little bit. Bertram brass available at the time was useless.

Irrelevant with regard to this ... but a gun shop we frequented had 2 Ruger 30 carbine Blackhawks, old models. Store policy was any old models traded in went to Ruger for the mod'. We each bought one. After picking them up, back to his house, he immediately got his screwdrivers out to put the original parts back in. Kept telling me, 'you gotta switch yours too' ... umm, why? I was dry firing it, thinking it's the best SA trigger I've ever felt. I'm not touching it. And it's a 3 digit SN.

Last step of assy was the cylinder, when he discovered the base pin was from a Single Six ... put the 'original' in instead. Horrible trigger pull, timing seemed 'iffy' ...

He decided they must throw the original parts in a bin and pull the correct number of each at random to ship them back.

He didn't even put the conversion parts back in, just threw it in his safe ... disgusted. I should have offered to buy it from him ... on 'payments' ... after I checked it out with the conversion parts back in.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Aug 15th, 2023 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
Poison Slinger wrote on Apr 9th, 2023 at 3:44pm:
Not in the least trying to hijack this thread into a one-up your bad modifying collectables...  But I ran across this poor old warrior that someone put in the most god-awful dress I have ever seen…. 

I almost wanted to buy it to give it back its dignity….  This has to be one of the worst examples of what Dave is talking about when he started this thread! 

If that one had come my way, I'd grab it.  Been looking for one modified by Eric Farr.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Aug 15th, 2023 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Waterman here's my high wall by Farr. Otony, the reason for it was simple. Back in the late 30's and early 40's when the woodchuck hunters turned to target shooting against each other in the off seasons, the bolt actions were outshooting the singleshots and Farr found the answer was to put one piece stocks on the high walls. Mine, in 30-40, while obviously not for woodchucks, was made up as a nice light weight accurate (5/8 inch at 100 with the iron sights) hunting rifle. It came from a serious single shot rifle collector's collection a few years ago.

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Aug 16th, 2023 at 3:43am
Print Post  
Some of this discussion is a bit similar to the dilemma the old car guys discuss; to drive their frightfully expensive conserved cars or not, preserving them for the future. Some say not driving them is like not having sex with your girlfriend saving her for the next guy. My car is a January 65 Mustang Fastback and along the way it had a professional color change (Gold to Black) engine change to a 1979 302 (containing some unknown performance parts to include Weber carburation) and some racing suspension components that makes it go around corners like a go cart. Although it is highly modified and the value of the parts far exceed its value it is still close to worth the value of the restored original, to the right buyer  Grin..

Anyway, how is a High Wall bedded into the Farr stock? If I were to do that I think I would float the action and bed the barrel with silicon...

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #40 - Aug 16th, 2023 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
SS, there is no obvious sign of glass bedding (which would have been a later mod) but note that it shot so well as is that I have not taken the chance of removing the stock to see how it was done. The tangs have been shortened.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #41 - Aug 16th, 2023 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
My Borchardt has a Winchester #4 barrel 32 inches long that has a liner in it. It has not been drilled and tapped for scope blocks. Being that it's no longer original, should I, should I do it?  Huh

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #42 - Aug 16th, 2023 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
If that # 4 barrel is still 32" long after being fitted to the Borchardt, it makes me sad to think how long - and rare- it was beforehand.

In any case, and despite my surprise that you of all people would pose your question, I'd say that scope blocks could only enhance the rifle's value as a shooter.  And since the itss value as a collectible has already been seriously compromised, that enhancement would certainly be justifiable.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #43 - Aug 16th, 2023 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
31 3/4 now, Bill.  I can't put scope blocks on it. I want to but I just can't.

Back at the turn of the last century when these now collectable rifles were in vogue, they were very often equipped with telescopic sights. Many are still around so no need to molest original factory pieces.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #44 - Aug 16th, 2023 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Ah, this gives me an opportunity to wax poetic. My father had a few single-shots but the only one I remember shooting very much was an 1884 Springfield, which as I recall, shot very well. Sometime later, in the 1970's I decided that I wanted a proper single-shot preferably a schuetzen model, but those were not usually available. Undaunted, and constantly inundated by creepy lying grasping losers "ohyeahlemeseethat!" I was able to procure a Winchester Hiwall barreled action in 32-40, and with the help of Paul Shuttleworth, I stocked it up with a Laudensack stock. It actually came out pretty nicely. I started shooting my new rifle, and people often yelled strange things at me "whakinaguniszat?" "I ain't never seen no Winchester that looked that!" "That ain't original!" I got the impression that most of the folks out there were hardcore assholes! And yaknow, I was right. But I digress, that was fifty years ago. There are very few factory original rifles (single-shot rifles) out there. Most guns I owned were abused by some of the idiots I described above. I know that some of the "original" rifles in collections have been around the bubba-barn a few times. Oh well....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint