Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Modifying collectible rifles to make shooters. (Read 6999 times)
uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Modifying collectible rifles to make shooters.
Reply #15 - Apr 9th, 2023 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
One of the reasons I gave up on the Vintage BMW Owners Association, (of which I was a plank owner), was having two snobs walk by my '67 R69S at rally and criticize it because I had replaced some fender mount bolts with stainless.  That kind of people I don't need in my life.   

I've got a couple of Stevenses that are all original, and the only reason I wouldn't modify one is because they are functional just as they are.  AFAIC properly drilled holes for scope blocks are a plus if it was done in the distant past by a gunsmith to enhance the utility of the gun, and it does. What I DO hate seeing is a refinished gun (often garishly) presented as original.  Especially when the mechanics of the gun have been ignored.   

My $0.05 worth.

<div class=

IP Logged

scharfe
Oldtimer

A good plan today beats
a perfect plan tomorrow.

Reply #16 - Apr 9th, 2023 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
I've been running a rifle orphanage for years. The problem that I have is when I see a rifle that is nice but misidentified and outrageously priced.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #17 - Apr 10th, 2023 at 12:36am
Print Post  
scharfe wrote on Apr 9th, 2023 at 10:32pm:
I've been running a rifle orphanage for years. The problem that I have is when I see a rifle that is nice but misidentified and outrageously priced.

Old guns are often misidentified for a couple reasons. First being a seller whose not knowledgeable, and sees a similar model that's got a higher value, so he's convinced his is that model.
Second is a seller who knows better, but is hoping a buyer doesn't.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Apr 10th, 2023 at 8:44am
Print Post  
I just bought a one of a kind Prototype rifle, certainly a rarety. It has been drilled and tapped and had the scope blocks in place. Didn't bother me a bit as I planned to shoot it and already have. I would not have done it if it had been left original but someone else wanted a scope on it.

I have other rifles that I would not modify. On one Maynard I made a new barrel for it so I could drill and tap the new barrel and leave the super nice original barrel intact. They are so easy to change out and not change the original configuration at all.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Apr 10th, 2023 at 9:00am
Print Post  
I think it was James Grant who mentioned that the person who insists upon the ultimate in finish and originality will never have a representative collection, just a lot of very fine pieces.

At my purchasing power level, if I see that somebody in the past was excited enough about his rifle’s accuracy potential to spend the money (considerable back then) to mount a scope on it, it is liable to be a great shooter.  The rest of the transaction is dictated by price and “need” considerations.

I find the few pristine originals I have spend most of their time in the safe.  If I was only interested in how the cash value of my accumulation might go up or down, I’d probably be buying stocks and bonds, rather than Single Shot rifles.

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #20 - Apr 10th, 2023 at 9:43am
Print Post  
Deadeye Bly wrote on Apr 10th, 2023 at 8:44am:
I just bought a one of a kind Prototype rifle, certainly a rarety. It has been drilled and tapped and had the scope blocks in place. Didn't bother me a bit as I planned to shoot it and already have. I would not have done it if it had been left original but someone else wanted a scope on it.

I have other rifles that I would not modify. On one Maynard I made a new barrel for it so I could drill and tap the new barrel and leave the super nice original barrel intact. They are so easy to change out and not change the original configuration at all.

If your one of a kind prototype rifle is the same one in Grant’s book, it was drilled and tapped for scope blocks pre 1967, as the rifle pictured in the book has scope blocks on it.

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Apr 10th, 2023 at 11:38am
Print Post  
Here is a heartbreaker. This is a Remington #2 sporting rifle originally chambered in .25-25 Stevens - an extremely rare chambering for these rifles. It has an excellent bore too.  But some knuckle dragging neanderthal ran what appears to be a .25-20 WCF chamber reamer into it in the misguided hope of using more commonly available ammunition in it.  It is of course ruined  Embarrassed

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Apr 10th, 2023 at 11:43am
Print Post  
ndnchf wrote on Apr 10th, 2023 at 11:38am:
Here is a heartbreaker. This is a Remington #2 sporting rifle originally chambered in .25-25 Stevens - an extremely rare chambering for these rifles. It has an excellent bore too.  But some knuckle dragging neanderthal ran what appears to be a .25-20 WCF chamber reamer into it in the misguided hope of using more commonly available ammunition in it.  It is of course ruined  Embarrassed   

Should be able to reline the chamber only to get it back working in original caliber.

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Apr 10th, 2023 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
ssdave wrote on Apr 10th, 2023 at 11:43am:
ndnchf wrote on Apr 10th, 2023 at 11:38am:

Should be able to reline the chamber only to get it back working in original caliber.

Possibly, but .25.25 reamers are not easy to find, nor is brass. It will never be original again...

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Apr 10th, 2023 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
SSDave, how is a chamber re-lining done?  I have super nice left handed 1885 Special Single Shot in 32-40 that is in excellent shape other than the fact that someone damaged the chamber.  Maybe multiple case head separations or something.  The chamber looks quite bad,  not rings, but gouges and what might be gas cuts in the steel. The rifle does shoot and eject brass just fine when loaded with black powder, but I'm hesitant to even try light loads of 4227 in it.   

Chris.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #25 - Apr 10th, 2023 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
I've had a chamber sleeve done on a rifle, and if you're going for the same cartridge as before, or a longer cartridge in the same bore size, it is much cheaper. 
Depending on the gunsmith, the chamber is bored and sleeved and the sleeve can be threaded in, or more often Loctite or soldered in. Then a reamer run in to bring it back to the same cartridge, or a longer cartridge.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #26 - Apr 10th, 2023 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
Sad story, in 1990 I decided my wife needed an offhand rifle. This started life as a DST 22lr ladies model, I think that was a model 56.
It is now a 28-30 and she does not shoot it as it is too heavy for her.
Mike

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Apr 10th, 2023 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
Yes, that is the rifle. I have a reprint of the book Boy's Rifles coming but don't have it yet. When I get the book I plan to take a few pictures and do a short write-up on the rifle. I want to see what Grant had to say first.

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #28 - Apr 10th, 2023 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
It is of course ruined.

If you're talking only about about originality, perhaps "ruined" is justified.  But even in that sense, I'd be another who would have the chamber sleeved and reamed back to .25-25.  My logic would be "It's the least destructive way to return the rifle to its original (and rare) caliber."

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Apr 10th, 2023 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
MrTipUp wrote on Apr 10th, 2023 at 7:55pm:
It is of course ruined.

If you're talking only about about originality, perhaps "ruined" is justified.  But even in that sense, I'd be another who would have the chamber sleeved and reamed back to .25-25.  My logic would be "It's the least destructive way to return the rifle to its original (and rare) caliber."

Bill Lawrence

Yes, I was referring to originallity.  I would consider having the chamber sleeved and rechambered back to .25-25. But I don't know who could do it and who also has a .25-25 reamer on hand. It likely would take a custom made reamer. I thought maybe CPA would have a reamer. But according to their website, no. The closest they have is .25-21  Undecided   

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint