Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Straight line bullet starters. (Read 665 times)
Mick B
Frequent Elocutionist

Straight line bullet starters.
Apr 5th, 2023 at 5:53am
Print Post  
Just wondering how much of a benefit I would gain by using a straight line starter, such as a Vickerman, which I see advertised. My current load for my 40-65 consists of 60 gr of either Swiss 1 1/2 or the same amount of Wano PP under a BACO 400 gr Money Bullet and a CCI BR2 primer. 
This load in uncompressed, the bullet is finger seated and is an easy slip fit. Sometimes, not always, I apply a light amount of neck tension just to hold the bullet in place to aid handling the loaded round.
Would using a straight line seater be of any benefit at all and warrant the expenditure.
Mike.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Straight line bullet starters.
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2023 at 8:54am
Print Post  
Mick, if your bullet is able to move around in the case as it sounds like it can, I don't see that an alignment die would help with the  seating. It sounds like it can self aline in the barrel now. Are you able to check bullet run out? Bob
« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2023 at 9:34am by Old-Win »  

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2023 at 9:09am
Print Post  
The dies do work well, and you can change calibers by changing the inserts in the die body. Cut the expense for the second caliber.

I guess being an improvement over finger seating, would depend on how well you can control depth and straightness. I would think by fingers it would be pretty hard to put enough pressure on a bullet to deform it or the case mouth. So it may be a trade off using a mechanical seater, until you get the feel of things.

One thing to be aware of is bullet diameter. For jacketed bullets it’s pretty straightforward forward getting a seater that fits the bullet correctly. The diameter of the bore the bullet is guided in. 

In the past when ordering a seater for cast, they would ask bullet diameter and size the bore accordingly. I don’t know if that option is still available through Buffalo Arms.

I will say it’s a lot easier with small bullets to drop the bullet from the top, than get it sitting on the case mouth straight and raising the ram.

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2023 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
I agree with Old-Win.  Since you're finger seating there's no advantage to using a straight-line seating die.  Concerning measuring runout, I doubt there's a benefit since the bullet is finger seated is can move sideways some.  If you were using neck tension than measuring runout can possibly help identify problems & improve your loading process.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

Mick B
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Apr 5th, 2023 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys, that is pretty much what I thought.
Mike.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint