Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic little tool post grinder (Read 1024 times)
gwahir
Senior Forum Member

Ve gets too soon olt und
too late shmart.

little tool post grinder
Mar 31st, 2023 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

This little lathe setup does a great deal of work for me. I use it several times each day. Along with a dial indicator I can shorten a screw, or whatever, to a gnats hair. I wish I could tell you where I got that dremel tool holder, but do not remember. I adapted it to the tool post.
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2023 at 9:26am by gwahir »  

IP Logged

n.r.davis
Oldtimer

Re: little tool post grinder
Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2023 at 11:10am
Print Post  
Get e'r Done 👍.  Looks like it may have been part of a Hand Routing Attachment, just a guess.  Next step up I'm thinking of a little Trim Router.  About $100 or so new. David 😎

IP Logged

gwahir
Senior Forum Member

Ve gets too soon olt und
too late shmart.

Reply #2 - Apr 1st, 2023 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
n.r.davis wrote on Apr 1st, 2023 at 11:10am:
Get e'r Done 👍.  Looks like it may have been part of a Hand Routing Attachment, just a guess.  Next step up I'm thinking of a little Trim Router.  About $100 or so new. David 😎

Thanks, Davld. I will check that out. I have a regular Dumore tool post grinder that I use for the serious stiff. Anymore, I don't do a lot of serious stuff!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2023 at 11:01am
Print Post  
I use a piece of 1/8" and another piece of 1/4" steel flat bar to do my screw shortening. I haven't got a good way to hold screws, and after losing more than one trying to shorten them with my flex shaft Foredom tool, I gave up. I tap the flat bar for a number of thread sizes, and put the screws in the plate to cut them off. Then finish off the ends, and remove them from the plate. 
My cheap Chinese lathe isn't very good for small screw diameters, and the plates actually do a better job for me.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Apr 2nd, 2023 at 11:23am
Print Post  
That's a neat mount there.   I've made an adapter for my South Bend 10" Heavy to hold the handpiece from a Dremel flex-shaft grinder that I bought when I was porting 2-stroke cylinders for race bikes.  Haven't used it much; the spindle bearings are too small and weak, so it can't give a good surface finish, but it's done a couple of I.D. jobs that I couldn't do any other way.

I have used my regular Dremel, hand-held with a cutoff disk, to roughly cut off hard steel stuff like piano wire many times.  Then square up or taper the end as needed with a normal wheel.  This on a bench lathe that will run backward, which my South Bend won't. 

For shortening smalls screws, I use marlinman's method.

<div class=

IP Logged

gwahir
Senior Forum Member

Ve gets too soon olt und
too late shmart.

Reply #5 - May 25th, 2023 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
About cutting screw slots...  I used my little 'tool post grinder' in a rather unique setup. I unplugged the lathe and rotated the chuck, back and forth, by hand; saved me from hitting the wrong button!

I used the dial indicator to center on the part. As the cutting disk thickness is 20 thou. and the slot needed to be 40 thou. I had to move things back and forth a bit.

Here is the screw in a gibbs. There will need to be some swoopy contour work on it. As soon as that is finished, and before I get a chance to muck it up with a screw driver, it will be hardened.

« Last Edit: May 25th, 2023 at 8:05pm by gwahir »  

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - May 25th, 2023 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
It looks as though I might be able to do something similar with my large Foredom flex shaft. Thanks, I will work on it.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint