Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Marlin Firearms Co. bullets (Read 413 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Marlin Firearms Co. bullets
Mar 18th, 2023 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
I attended the annual Cartridge Collectors Show in Castle Rock, Wa. this morning, and stopped to talk to my friend Ralph who came down from Canada to set up a table. He has some very cool stuff, and I'd have bought almost everything he had if I wasn't watching my pennies. 
He had a very interesting box of .38-55 UMC bullets that were "254 grain" marked on the box! Never seen any in this oddball weight? He also had a box of JM Marlin marked .38-55 255 gr., but I have the same box in nicer shape. Then I spotted two boxes that caught my eye! Both .40 caliber, paper patched, with one being 285 gr. and the other 330 gr.! So we worked a deal and I brought both home. 
These would have been for either Marlin Ballard single shots in a few different cartridge chamberings, like .40-63B, .40-85B, or .40-65B chamberings, or even the 1881 lever action model in .40-60M cartridge. I always look for Marlin marked ammo, or bullets, but rarely see any in recent years. Didn't see a lot decades ago either, but they've really dried up now.
Of course these wont ever be loaded up! Wink

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2023 at 3:19pm by marlinguy »  

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: JM Marlin bullets
Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2023 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
nice find!

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: JM Marlin bullets
Reply #2 - Mar 18th, 2023 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Rebel wrote on Mar 18th, 2023 at 3:19pm:
nice find!

Thanks! These should date to post 1881 when the company name changed from JM Marlin to Marlin Firearms Co.

IP Logged

ballard 6

Re: Marlin Firearms Co. bullets
Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2023 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
These bullets may be appropriate for the .40-60 2 1/8 Everlasting case.  My #6 is chambered for this cartridge and is an early one, Swiss Pattern with straight octagonal barrel and plain frame, serial number 2600 something.  I should check the twist.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint