Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) German Schuetzen Ammunition... (Read 3143 times)
ISS
Oldtimer

German Schuetzen Ammunition...
Mar 14th, 2023 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
Learned something else.  The Germans mostly shot fixed ammunition, 8,15x46R from the factories according to some catalogs I got.
I have five or six wooden boxes/cases full.  They open from the side, like from the spine of a book.  Trays slide out, and they hold various amounts of ammunition.

Another "WOW"!.

Rich

They are for sale to a collector at a reasonable price.
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2023 at 2:02am by ISS »  

IP Logged

FourBird
Participating Member

Re: German Schuetzen Ammunition...
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2023 at 8:43am
Print Post  
PM Sent

Limit Politicians to two terms:  Office immediately followed by Prison (life w/out parole).

IP Logged

Old_No7

Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2023 at 10:04am
Print Post  
ISS wrote on Mar 14th, 2023 at 10:36pm:
Learned something else.  The Germans mostly shot fixed ammunition, 8,15x46R from the factories...

That is interesting, as I recall reading (per info from GGCA, German Gun Collectors Assn) that with the "stop ring" bullets which were used, reloading was typically done at the bench using pre-measured powder charges and simple hand dies, and that a shooter would shoot the whole match using just 1 case.

Perhaps the difference is a hunter with a stalking rifle in 8.15x46R using factory loads, and a Schuetzen target shooter doing the reloading at the bench.

I guess, like other things in this sport, this just goes to show that there are few absolutes and a wide variety of uses and opinions.

Old No7

"Freedom and the Second Amendment...  One cannot exist without the other."  © 2000 DTH&&

IP Logged

GunBum

Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2023 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
I have several friends and family members in Germany who shoot competitively.  On my last trip to Germany in December, I asked them about Schutzen Rifles and Matches.  They all drew a blank.  I had to show pictures of rifles and describe the matches as best I could.  That didn’t help clear it up.  It seems like a lost art over there.  They thought the concept of breech seating was barbaric.   

Unfortunately on that trip it was too cold and snowy to get any shooting done, and my wife was with me so she wanted to visit Christmas Markets.

IP Logged

Old_No7

Reply #4 - Mar 16th, 2023 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
GunBum wrote on Mar 15th, 2023 at 3:25pm:

...and my wife was with me so she wanted to visit Christmas Markets.

That sounds very similar to this...  Huh

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(Sorry for the large image size!!!)

Anyway...

I do know there's a German gunsmith who has teamed up with a retired Army doctor or dentist who have made it their mission to "Save The Guns" in Germany that are turned in by wives or families after the older shooter passes away; if these 2 don't buy those guns for resale to the U.S. -- they get scrapped.

And we're talking about some VERY nice old Drillings, Stalking Rifles and Bockbuschflintes too.

I'm told by friends who live/work there, that the gun culture over there is declining as the older shooters die away.

Old No7

"Freedom and the Second Amendment...  One cannot exist without the other."  © 2000 DTH&&

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 16th, 2023 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
There is a good book out on the history and use of the 8.15x47R cartridge.  I have a copy, but don't have it at hand, so can't tell you exactly what it is.   In German, also, but has everything you want/need to know about the history and use of that cartridge, plus a few others.  Casting bullets was little practiced -  but you could buy bullets of a wide array of selections, and also powder charges made up in "cigarette papers", for loading.

Since the shooting was entirely from offhand with iron sights, they were not concerned with the very finest accuracy, as we are, but the rifles are capable of very fine work when properly loaded and handled.   There has been a lot of good information on this forum about shooting German rifles.   

CHRIS

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #6 - Mar 16th, 2023 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
I personally shoot stop ring bullets because I am lazy. I shoot for fun, so pinpoint accuracy is not important. I believe I read current schuetzen shooters in Germany use fixed ammunition.
Mike

IP Logged

GunBum

Reply #7 - Mar 16th, 2023 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
Old_No7 wrote on Mar 16th, 2023 at 1:50pm:

I'm told by friends who live/work there, that the gun culture over there is declining as the older shooters die away.

Old No7

That is true.  There are a LOT of hoops to jump through in order to own firearms, and it takes years and thousands of Euros to qualify.  It’s very difficult if you don’t have a friend to tag along with at the beginning.  Young people just don’t have the excess money to play the game.

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Mar 16th, 2023 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
Gun ownership in Germany:

A German visitor who is a collector/shooter told me that he had to get a special permit from the police so that his wife could enter his gun-storage room and empty the water from the dehumidifier, while he was out of the country.

It seems that everything that is not MANDATORY, is PROHIBITED.

CHRIS

IP Logged

CharleHunter
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Mar 19th, 2023 at 5:54am
Print Post  
rgchristensen wrote on Mar 16th, 2023 at 10:31pm:

A German visitor who is a collector/shooter told me that he had to get a special permit from the police so that his wife could enter his gun-storage room and empty the water from the dehumidifier, while he was out of the country.

CHRIS

NO different than South Australia. My wife can't enter my gun room by herself as she is not licensed.

Steve

IP Logged

gewehrfreund
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Mar 19th, 2023 at 9:40am
Print Post  

CHRIS

CharleHunter wrote on Mar 19th, 2023 at 5:54am:
rgchristensen wrote on Mar 16th, 2023 at 10:31pm:

CHRIS

NO different than South Australia. My wife can't enter my gun room by herself as she is not licensed.

Steve

Not to disparage any country, its customs, etc., but please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks this is entirely ridiculous! It has nothing to do with safety or crime prevention and everything to do with government overreach and control with a capital C. And their citizens allow/encourage it.  Shocked Cry

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Mar 19th, 2023 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Sounds quite familiar to me.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #12 - Mar 20th, 2023 at 6:34am
Print Post  
When a rifle is transported in Germany it has to be in a case and the case has to be padlocked. It can be a soft case. The case has two zippers and the slider tabs are locked together with a small padlock.   

The last few soft cases I've purchased have two slider tabs on them.   Huh

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Old_No7

Reply #13 - Mar 20th, 2023 at 10:24am
Print Post  
gewehrfreund wrote on Mar 19th, 2023 at 9:40am:

Not to disparage any country, its customs, etc., but please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks this is entirely ridiculous! It has nothing to do with safety or crime prevention and everything to do with government overreach and control with a capital C. And their citizens allow/encourage it.  Shocked Cry

That's why we in the U.S. say that:

"Gun Control is NOT about guns -- It's all about CONTROL."

Old No7

IP Logged

craigster
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Apr 11th, 2023 at 12:56am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Mar 20th, 2023 at 6:34am:
When a rifle is transported in Germany it has to be in a case and the case has to be padlocked. It can be a soft case. The case has two zippers and the slider tabs are locked together with a small padlock.   

The last few soft cases I've purchased have two slider tabs on them.   Huh

A padlock on a soft case is like a screen door on a submarine,

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint