Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Ever hear of a Steigeler German Schuetzen Rifle... (Read 834 times)
ISS
Oldtimer

Ever hear of a Steigeler German Schuetzen Rifle...
Mar 3rd, 2023 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
Don't know if any of you ever shot with Allan Halleck in SoCal 1975-2010 time frame.  He died last summer.  I am helping his daughter sell some of his Schuetzen stuff.

One item is a gorgeous system Aydt 8.15x46R.  It has more engraving than I have ever seen on one, and the stock is about 50% carved and incised.  Has the sights.  Most beautiful SS rifle I have ever seen.

I will post pictures in a couple days.  I just got back from a 600 (one way) drive down to Sausalito to buy some things she had.
A complete set of Shooting and Fishing books, and a lot of other Schuetzen stuff.  Bullet moulds, brass, books and other things.  One is a reprint of the Match Poster celebrating the San Francisco 1906-1916 tenth anniversary.  Medals, tons of stuff.

Woo-Hoo,

Rich
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2023 at 11:12pm by ISS »  

IP Logged

Old_No7

Re: Ever hear of a Steigeler German Schuetzen Rifle...
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2023 at 9:13am
Print Post  
Are you sure about the spelling of that name?

Per the GGCA, German Gun Collectors Association, there was a "Stiegele" in Munich, Germany.

Old No7

Business was founded in 1837 by Carl Anton Stiegele followed by Karl Stiegele Sr. and Karl Stiegele Jr. The first products were Zimmerstutzen (Parlor Rifles) and Bolzenbuechsen (Dart Guns) for indoor shooting. A new lock-up was developed and patented in 1867. This gave the company a substantial lift and a gun factory was built in 1868 at Knoebelstr.

The company exhibited at many Trade- and World Fairs and won numerous awards for the quality and accuracy of their rifles. Stiegele was appointed as gunmaker of many kings, princes and dukes. In 1904 the company built a factory for the production of bullets and loading equipment. Most production records were destroyed during the air raids in World War II and all guns and equipment were confiscated by American troops at the end of the war. Among them were 35 break-open hunting guns without foreends. These forends were stored separately and 23 years later a hunter from Dayton, Ohio inquired about having a new foreend made by the company. It was his luck, that the original foreend was found, but nothing was ever heard of the other rifles without their forends.

In the 1950s the Brandl family, who had worked in the company for three generations, took over the business and founded a subsidiary in the United States in 1954. In May of 1952 a shooting facility was opened in Hallenhofen and the Carl Stiegele hunting and shooting club was founded. An auction house was founded at Maximilian Street in 1985. Master Gunmaker Brandl supervised a modern gunshop that makes guns to order for customers all over the world. The company changed hands again a few years ago.

Stiegele products and inventions: The type 16H bullet Carl Stiegele (1907) considered one of the best for target shooting with the 8.15 x 46 cartridge. The Stiegele Loading Mechanism for Zimmerstutzen was considered one of the best and copied by many. Just like many of today’s gun manufacturers have components made by other manufacturers, even in other countries, so did Stiegele in the past and today get components and services from other makers. Among the suppliers were the Gunmakers Cooperative in Suhl and in Ferlach, Springer in Vienna, Du Moulin in Belgium, as well as independant stock makers and engravers, some of them exclusively working for the Stiegele company.

<<end of part 1 >>

"Freedom and the Second Amendment...  One cannot exist without the other."  © 2000 DTH&&

IP Logged

Old_No7

Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2023 at 9:15am
Print Post  
Continuing with some more info...

I hope you find this info helpful.

Waidmannsheil.

Old No7

<< part 2 >>

Raw actions for double guns and three barrel guns came from the forges in Suhl and in Ferlach. However, all guns got their most important final touch in the Stiegele shop.The classic Stiegle Zimmerstutzen with its patented loading device was always made completely in the Stiegele shops and for this the company had its own forge. These models were still made in house with modern machinery five years ago.

Up to the 1940s, Stiegele also had its own bullet production facility for all Feuerstutzen calibers and for 8mm and 9mm calibers. The company still exists under a new owner, Dr. Aschenbrenner, who is also an auctioneer who specializes in the sale of German hunting and sporting guns.

This information was partly supplied by Tom Rowe, the author of three books about Schützen Rifles and by Victor Brandl, former owner of Stiegele, and is shared without any guarantee for its accuracy.

"Freedom and the Second Amendment...  One cannot exist without the other."  © 2000 DTH&&

IP Logged

TRowe

Reply #3 - Mar 4th, 2023 at 9:35am
Print Post  
Not sure but the last time I was in Germany several people said that the auction business was gone and that was the last gasp of the firm.

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 3rd, 2023 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
I have a Stiegele rifle, and all the screws on it are British Standard threads.  I have inquired of several owners, and they are disinclined to take out screws and measure the threads.   My rifle  has  BSF threads on its various screws,  and the barrel thread into the receiver is a 5/8 British Standard Pipe thread.

Anyone else encountered anything like this?

CHRIS

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint