Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Hepburn Creedmoor 44 2.6 suggestions (Read 1350 times)
rifleman

Hepburn Creedmoor 44 2.6 suggestions
Mar 1st, 2023 at 8:28am
Print Post  
I purchased a Hepburn Long range Creedmoor recently. caliber is 44 2 6/10. This is the most obsolete, and first paper patch cartridge I will be loading for.

Bore slugs to .4500

It appears I can back order brass from Starline.

My question is what dies should I be looking for, or what can I ‘make do with’ for now? 

I can find a set of 45 2.6 Sharps Straight dies…would those work?

Please enlighten me.

IP Logged

kensmachine
Oldtimer

Re: Hepburn Creedmoor 44 2.6 suggestions
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2023 at 8:45am
Print Post  
chamber cast frist

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2023 at 8:48am
Print Post  
Don't know if they still do or not but Saeco makes dies for it. CH 4d probably offers dies, and just for kicks and grins it might not hurt to see if Buffalo Arms has a set on hand.
Is your bore .450 or is that the groove diameter?

IP Logged

rifleman

Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2023 at 8:54am
Print Post  
Thats the groove diameter. A chamber cast will give me my dimensions, but what would I compare them against?

IP Logged

nuclearcricket
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2023 at 9:33am
Print Post  
CH may have or can make dies for that, Buffalo Arms may have brass/ammo for it. One of the reamer makers can probably supply you with the proper chamber drawing. Depending on what chamber it is, bottle neck or Remington straight, a quick peek into the chamber with a light will tell you that.  I know the straight can be made from 45-2.6 cases, just a matter of full length resizing.  If its the bottle neck the same 45 case can be used, just necked sized down to form the shoulder and then fire formed. The case will swell to fit the chamber but will leave the web area a bit undersized. Once they are fired twice they should be stable and work just fine, all you would have to do is just neck size the case. If you are lucky the chamber neck will be tight enough that a PP bullet will just be a nice fit in the neck without having to do anything else too it. If the neck area in the chamber is a bit big, a bushing die would be your best bet. 
Sam

IP Logged

rifleman

Reply #5 - Mar 1st, 2023 at 9:39am
Print Post  
Thanks Sam, it is not a bottle neck, which is why I thought perhaps I could get by with what I have. Obviously I would have a better idea once I have some brass in hand.

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Mar 1st, 2023 at 10:37am
Print Post  
A chamber cast will give you the case length, diameter of the throat and if you take an inch or so of the rifling with it will give you the bore and groove diameter. 
From those measurements you can then determine proper case length and bullet diameter.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Mar 1st, 2023 at 11:39am
Print Post  
The dies will be the easy part, as C&H4D has them, or can make them. They wont be cheap at around $265, but if you need them we don't have an option.
The brass is the big issue as I don't know of any donor brass with rim and base diameter that's long enough for the 2.6" case.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

rifleman

Reply #8 - Mar 1st, 2023 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
I am hopeful that Starline allowing me to backorder the brass means they will make a run at some point. Currently they wont let me back order 38/55 brass.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #9 - Mar 1st, 2023 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
It may take a year or more if history at Starline holds true! They have a long history of delays in recent years.

IP Logged

rifleman

Reply #10 - Mar 1st, 2023 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
I wont have time to start dealing with this gun until next winter, so a wait so it hurt me. It will pry keep me from ordering dies. My Cartridges of the World book leads me to believe 45-100 sharps straight dies would work for this 44-100.

IP Logged

nuclearcricket
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Mar 1st, 2023 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
Over on Historic shooting, (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links), I am pretty sure there is a gentleman shooting the 44-90 Rem Straight, and that sounds like what your Hepburn may bell be. I think he is on here but an not positive. Might not hurt to slip on over there and toss out a question about brass and dies. If he pipes up am sure he can help you out with some of your questions. 
Sam

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Mar 1st, 2023 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
If the brass chambers when you get it and you are using paper patched bullets, dies are not required at all.  Stick with black powder and go with a dual diameter paper patched bullet that finger seats into the fired case with just enough tension to hold it in.  The powder charge will hold the bullet from going too deep into the case.  After firing, deprime and clean the brass then prime, charge and finger seat the bullet.  First step is a chamber cast to see how long the freebore is so you can order a mould that the base diameter section is the right length.  Now if the brass needs to be formed then you will need a sizing die but a seating die is not required in my opinion.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

Lead Pot

Reply #13 - Mar 1st, 2023 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
I shoot a .44-Rem straight 2.6 long case. I might be the one Sam is referring to.
I had a cast made from a Rem Hep Creedmoor chamber and had a reamer made for it, Both chamber and one for sizing die to make a sizing die, but I made a change because the Remington was closer to a .45 caliber than a .44. It had a .450" groove so I changed the reamer specs for the now .438/.446" now common. What is the base diameter of your chamber? as well as the neck diameter? Maybe the chamber reamer would be close enough to make a sizing die. But I have a feeling the reamer for the sizing die will be too tight for the original Hep chamber.

Kurt

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #14 - Mar 1st, 2023 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Most of the large capacity .44 cases used a .452" bullet, or close to that. The .450" groove is a little tighter, but not much. 
I have both Ballard and Remington single shots in various .44 cartridges, and all slug to about .452" groove. Most of these used a paper patch bullet of .446" dia. and many modern barrel makers use a .446" groove diameter for the new .44 caliber barrels.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint