Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Webley project (Read 4639 times)
guilty gil
Participating Member

Re: Webley project
Reply #45 - May 16th, 2023 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
That is a much larger action! I was thinking more along the lines of 25 krag or 219 zipper. The older i get the less i like recoil!

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #46 - May 16th, 2023 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Jeff, 
From the measurements I took and compared to dimensions that Wal has in his book on the Webley it is considered a medium action.  I believe with the 1" or 1-1/16" threads it would handle a 470 NE.  Not an everyday gun but definitely comfortable when walking among things that consider us edible.

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

idjeffp
Senior Forum Member

Reply #47 - May 16th, 2023 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Now there ya' go GT... I had a set of .470 Nitro dies a while back... until a friend needed them for a double rifle of his. I know where a set is too Smiley
Wondering what the size of that breech block mortise is? Reminds me of the 1"x1" Borchardt mortise... my good friend was kind enough to share a 1" square broach with me for such.
Jeff P
« Last Edit: May 16th, 2023 at 9:50pm by idjeffp »  

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #48 - May 16th, 2023 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
Gil,
Squaring up a new block and make the mortice to fit may handle a Krag or a Zipper better.  There is a lot of meat behind the block on this and getting away from round and giving the block support like a HW would be positive.  Stress calculations would be something to look at.   You'd have a "rook" square block when you were done, haven't seen one of those before.  Keep us posted.  I may have to do one of those now...
On another note, the "straight on firing pin", the transfer bar, and flat spring from a Chevy are working well.  There's no shortage in positive ignition at least on the 22rf.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #49 - May 17th, 2023 at 9:18am
Print Post  
G Gil.
The one thing I didn't include about the transfer bar modification was changes to the hammer.  The current hammer design struggled making contact with the transfer bar - it was designed to contact the end of the pin.  I added a little beef to the hammer - at the cocking point, throughout the body, and to the head.  The mill work was just free-hand up to scribed lines and finished with smoke and a file.  This gave the hammer a tiny bit more mass.
Greg

IP Logged

guilty gil
Participating Member

Reply #50 - May 18th, 2023 at 9:04am
Print Post  
I thought the hammer would reach the transfer bar so i'm glad you did all the experminting so i can jump in with both feet & be right on first try. Thanks

IP Logged

830singleshot
Senior Forum Member

Reply #51 - May 18th, 2023 at 11:03am
Print Post  
I've thought a transfer bar ignition was a great solution for a number of single shots with angled firing pins.  Way to go!

How about a dual pin system like the TC Contender.  Switch barrel rifle from rimfire/center-fire by swapping the extractor and transfer bars(a different transfer bar for rim/center).   IDK, but it looks workable in my mind's eye 👁️

J. Scott McCash&&New Braunfels, TX&&830-237-2376&&jsmccash@yahoo.com

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #52 - May 18th, 2023 at 11:32am
Print Post  
I had considerable carnage getting to this point, I have the process on the run for the moment though.  I had looked at a fp like TC uses, and switch barrels, but it's more involved than I'm wanting to do, I'll just build another rifle.  I have a CPA and a couple barrels and breech blocks - I can count on one hand how often I've switched setups - just me I'm sure.
This is my rf build and up next is at least one cf build.  The T-slot method of pin retention needs a little refining yet and vent hole location determined.  I think it will end up with the pin in line with ones face and this is still a concern.  On the 22 there is still the rear of the action blocking this, not so sure with a CF.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint