Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Re: Using a pipe clamp for holding a spotting scope (Read 2637 times)
RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Using a pipe clamp for holding a spotting scope
Feb 23rd, 2023 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Try Larry Baker at:
blackpowderspg.com
As I recall he used to list a pipe clamp stand similar to the pic you posted. I've been using one for years. An essential piece of range gear IMO.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2023 at 10:57am
Print Post  
Basically a head off a tripod. Here are some available or might give you some inspiration. 

The rest would use a similar mount to the pipe clamp. I think freelands offers that also.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2023 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
I have a homemade one I use. Basically it is a 3/4 brass pipe T. I bored out the long way so it would slide easily on the 3/4 pipe, drilled and taped a hole for a clamp screw, put a padded 6 inch 3/4 pipe nipple in the remaining threaded portion. Works great.
Mike

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2023 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
Made mine from a Harbor Freight 3/4" pipe clamp for $12, and a homemade bracket with 1/4" stud and wingnut to adjust with.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2023 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
Gerald, 

I don’t know what tools you have or have access to, but 30 years ago when I made mine, I used an aluminum bar about 6” X 2” X 3/4” thick. Drilled a hole for the pipe stand at one end, then drilled the other end for the top section of a Freeland’s scope stand (the old style). For my powder measure to clamp to, I used a slightly smaller bar and just drilled it once for the pipe stand. Both plates had holes drilled and threaded for locking screws to hold them in place on the pole. 

Finally, I took a T junction for the pipe stand and bored it through for the pipe to slide then screwed in a short section of the same pipe and covered it with foam insulation.  Of course I was fortunate to have access to Charlie Dell’s shop back then, making it much easier than what I could do today. Smiley

Froggie

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2023 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
Pipe clamp stand and scope I have used for 30 years participating in the Schuetzen game.

You can slide up and down the pipe to shoot offhand or lower for bench shooting.

Scope base swivels to adjust right or left. 

The pivot adjustments allows you to move up or down.

I also have a cross bar that slides up and down on the pipe stand to rest the rifle on between offhand shots. 
However I prefer to set the rifle in the sandbags allowing me a better rest between shots plus it is easier to reload.
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2023 at 3:53pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Feb 23rd, 2023 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Here is my short one that uses 1/2" pipe and pony clamps.  You can get PVC threaded pieces that are 1/2" ID and screw into a 3/4" pipe coupler or 'T'.  This one uses an eBay window mount head that clamps on a 1/4" tick aluminum square.  I have another that uses a 'T' that is drilled for a 1/4 hole for mounting a tripod head.  It is longer and has another 'T' at the top that is padded for an offhand rest.

Jack

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
Plethora?  You say I have a plethora?.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #7 - Feb 23rd, 2023 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
I used to have my spotting scope on a stand like the ones above but it was never steady. For the last fifteen plus years I've used a tripod.  My setup just wasn't beefy enough and the spotting scope always seemed to be in the way.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Feb 24th, 2023 at 9:26am
Print Post  
Damn...you caught me asleep at the wheel. I can get you another closeup  of the table mount .Have built two like this.
Pipe clamp,black pipe polished on lathe (to look cool).A Bogen Manfrotto 3030 head,find em on Ebay used for pretty cheap. The aluminum square 2x2x3" high I bored on mill. Pete

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

4060may

Reply #9 - Feb 24th, 2023 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
one I made of wood for Jerry D. (RIP)
who was my ever diligent spotter

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Feb 24th, 2023 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
Some pics.Nice thing with the Bogan,you get a base to attach to scope for quick release and A lock so it cant fall out of mount...

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

oldman46
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Feb 25th, 2023 at 12:24am
Print Post  
The orange pipe clamps are usually Jorgeson (spelling) are are at either Home depot or Lowe's. As is the 3/4" pipe. Course Harbor Freight are cheaper. Frank

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Feb 25th, 2023 at 12:53am
Print Post  
Thinking about it and comparing the results to my 60 years of experience with camera tripods, thin pipe has to be about the worst thing you could use for a stand. A very gentle tap with the tip of your finger will set off a vibration that will continue for a long time. Of course, wind will cause the same vibration to begin and perpetuate. The best material for one of these stands would actually be wood.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Feb 25th, 2023 at 4:37am
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Feb 25th, 2023 at 12:53am:
Thinking about it and comparing the results to my 60 years of experience with camera tripods, thin pipe has to be about the worst thing you could use for a stand. A very gentle tap with the tip of your finger will set off a vibration that will continue for a long time. Of course, wind will cause the same vibration to begin and perpetuate. The best material for one of these stands would actually be wood.

The best tripod I have is an old Keuffel & Esser. Wood, weighs a ton, got it at an auction.  

But we can't all be that lucky, so I find the pipe clamp idea an ingenious solution.  My K&E takes up about an acre of floor space; this one doesn't.

<div class=

IP Logged

Gerald
Participating Member

Reply #14 - Feb 25th, 2023 at 7:26am
Print Post  
Thank you to all that have helped mw track down the components needed to us the standard pipe clamp securing the scope and rest. 
I just placed my order through the SPG website and once the maker has his shop set up and running orders will be fulfilled.
Thanks again all.

Gerald

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint