Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Winchester 296 powder (Read 1827 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Winchester 296 powder
Feb 2nd, 2023 at 11:01am
Print Post  
I've got an unopened 8 lb. container of Win. 296, and don't own any magnum pistols that it seems it's best used in. But in looking at the latest burn rate charts it appears W296 is right next to 4227, and I couldn't help but wonder if it might be close enough to use with 4227 low end charge data?
With powders being tough to find, and expensive I was going to take this to our next gun show and try to trade it for something I could use. But if it's a viable option to use, I might break the seal and try working up some loads with it.
Any input would be great!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Winchester 296 powder
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2023 at 11:13am
Print Post  
Our sadly missing friend, Frank Elliot, used 296 for some loads like we prefer in our sort of shooting. I'd expressed some fear of the dreaded secondary explosion problem touted in all the old loading manuals. Enough that I didn't even trust is with the heavy loads it was loved by many for. Frank explained it and made me believe. But, I still have not done it- someday?
Anyhow, I think he wrote about it on the forum here as well. Can't say for certain, but a search may get what you are asking about, Vall. Good luck.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2023 at 11:25am
Print Post  
Vall,
I have used it breech seating in my 32-40. It worked just fine a similar load levels to 4227.  I only have a pound and have moved on to 300 MP for BS.  I would not be too concerned about shooting it fixed.   

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

Tom_Trevor assra life no.71
Oldtimer

Tom Trevor

Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2023 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Years ago someone said it was  H-110 in a different can? Used it as well as H-110 for many years.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2023 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Thanks everyone! 
I think I'll go ahead and keep it, and break the seal on it. I still have a 4 lb. jug of 4759 also that will soon get opened as my last 1 lb. can is almost empty.
Finally found 4198 and an 8 lb. jug is scheduled for delivery today!

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2023 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
In the Cast Bullet Sssociation a little over 20 years ago it was quite popular in the 30-30 and 308. Ed Harris sent Winchester the loads for the  testing in the 308 and they were uncomfortable with the variation in pressures and did not recommend it. I can dig up some old fouling shots and get you the load data for 30-30.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #6 - Feb 3rd, 2023 at 12:37am
Print Post  
Cbashooter wrote on Feb 2nd, 2023 at 10:26pm:
In the Cast Bullet Sssociation a little over 20 years ago it was quite popular in the 30-30 and 308. Ed Harris sent Winchester the loads for the  testing in the 308 and they were uncomfortable with the variation in pressures and did not recommend it. I can dig up some old fouling shots and get you the load data for 30-30.

Thanks, but I don't own a .30-30 anymore. Closest thing I have is a .25-36 Marlin, and I use 2400 in it.
My jug of IMR4198 arrived. UPS said it required an adult signature, and proof of age. But we heard a knock on the door, and went to open the door and heard the UPS guy holler from his truck, "You have a package!" So much for all the adult signatures.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 3rd, 2023 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
I had to sign for a box of primers from FedEx. Of course, with the fingernail on the mini screen, I could have written Alfred E Neuman;-)

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Feb 3rd, 2023 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
296 is still being used here for breech seating purposes. 
Was actually quite popular in the 32-40 and a friend I still believe is using it his 28-35 with good competitive success. 
It was also basically the only Powder that Rick MacHale also used and he was extremely competitive both here and at the ISSA National matches at Raton. 
If memory serves me right and in a 32-40 CPA his powder charge was 15.1 grains.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

BudHyett
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Feb 3rd, 2023 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
The only times I've been where a rifle blew up to freeze the bolt was with W-W 296 and IMR 4227. The reference to the CBA writings is true. 

At the Le Brea club one morning, two people holding the rifle, one person holding a 2X4 against the bolt and one person beating on the 2X4 with a big hammer was needed to open the bolt on a Remington 700 when the 296 load escalated pressure. Strong recommendation for the Remington 700 action, but a greater warning for this powder. 

Use the powder as recommended or trade to someone who can use it as recommended. No one looks good with a bolt or breech block sticking from their forehead.
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2023 at 5:56pm by BudHyett »  

Country boy from Illinois living in the magical Pacific Northwest
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Feb 3rd, 2023 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Sounds like it was a bolt actioned rife and they were also shooting fixed.
Also please correct me if I am wrong. I have heard of pressure spikes with H-110 for our breech seating use and damage occuring. But not with 296 and yet allot of folks will still claim that they are both exactly the same. 

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Feb 3rd, 2023 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
For some reason I have always been leery of using H110 (aka W296) in anything but full mag level pistol loads. I'm surprised those guys got the Rem 700 bolt opened. A friend tried that and ended up with the bolt still in the rifle and the brazed on bolt handle on the next bench.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Feb 3rd, 2023 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Oneatatime I used allot of 296 in various load development outings. 
But I have not tried or would I ever try using H-110 as some of its spicking issues that I am very personally aware taking place here. 
Not sure who is making it now but back then H-110 was a Hogdon product and 296 was one of Winchester's at the time. 
They might actually now be the same but I cannot believe that they were way back when.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #13 - Feb 3rd, 2023 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
I really like the Rem. 700, but they are known to have weak extractors, and weak bolt handles. Never broken either in any of mine, but I also have never had issues extracting cases.

IP Logged

BudHyett
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Feb 3rd, 2023 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Feb 3rd, 2023 at 1:58pm:
Sounds like it was a bolt actioned rife and they were also shooting fixed.

Also please correct me if I am wrong. I have heard of pressure spikes with H-110 for our breech seating use and damage occurring. But not with 296 and yet allot of folks will still claim that they are both exactly the same. 

Yes, this was a bolt action rifle and they were shooting fixed ammunition. However, the message is the unexpected pressure spike. 

My thought is using 296 in reduced charges is like playing Russian Roulette with a submachine gun.

Country boy from Illinois living in the magical Pacific Northwest
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint