Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Denver Show Heeren revisited (Read 2998 times)
oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Denver Show Heeren revisited
Reply #15 - May 23rd, 2023 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
OK, here it is. Half round, full matted rib. A slightly shorter and lighter barrel than the 7mm one on the rifle. Dies (6.5x57 Hornady) and brass (7x57R Prvi) are on the way so I'm being optimistic that it will fit the action. The scope is adjusted for windage by driving the dovetails. It has a post and horizntal crosshair. I'm guessing about 2 1/2x. It was proofed in Suhl in August 1933 with a 123 grain bullet..

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - May 27th, 2023 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Py golly, dot's de same Zeiss scope as is on a light-weight German 8x57R falling-block I have. Never dreamed I'd see another.   

Rifle is a WW2 bringback; I bought it from the original soldier 24 years ago.  No I.D. on it except nitro proofed in Zella-Mehlis in 1912.

<div class=

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - May 28th, 2023 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
The Zeiss ZielKlein was the German equivalent of our Lyman Alaskan. It is apparently 2.25x and came out around 1930. To focus it, you slightly loosen the 2 screws on the eyepiece and just give it a few degrees turn until sharp and resnug the 2 screws. It is still clear as a bell after 90 years. It was used on the German sniper rifles in WWII and because of that brings a premium when it shows up on the market. I just remembered I have a German over-the-shoulder pigskin scope case that was made for a claw mounted scope and I checked the length and it is perfect and oblong in shape to clear the mounts. I won't need it until I have to take the scope off to see if the barrel will fit my action. Fingers crossed.

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - May 30th, 2023 at 3:38am
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on May 16th, 2023 at 2:05pm:
Thanks for the info SS. I suppose the 25-35 doesn't come up to the current minimum power levels in Austria/Germany that now exist (but took many a roebuck or chamois back in the day!). Achhh, I'm getting dyslexic in my old age! It wasn't a 6.5x52R but a 5.6x52R. Instead of a 25-35 it was a 22 Savage Hi-Power and that may explain why it got no bids  in Germany although I'm sure their are folks on this list who would have no problem working with that.

According to the advertisement from Frankonia Jagd the 5,6 x 52R delivers 1,290 Joules at 100m exceeding the requirement for Reh (Roe) of 1,000 Joules.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #19 - Jul 6th, 2023 at 11:34am
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Jan 30th, 2023 at 4:37pm:
... the Heeren I had picked up...

How smoothly does a Heeren cycle, say compared to a Ruger No.1 or a Hagn? I've never handled one, but I do admire the compact design.

Karl
IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jul 7th, 2023 at 12:28am
Print Post  
I've never handled a Hagn and it has been a while since I had a Ruger but since the recocking and extraction (and ejection if you do it quickly) is handled on the opening (the thumb movement is quick) and the closing is just that with no resistance, I suppose you could call it smooth. I guess I've never really thought about "smoothness" in anything but a self loader. I'll have to pay more attention.

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #21 - Jul 8th, 2023 at 12:39am
Print Post  
Thanks for the description. The Hagn seems effortless, with no stages, if I can describe it so. The Ruger is low effort, but you feel a few stages, the last one with the lever going limp. The short throw on the Heeren suggests it will be stiff, but there appears to be a few variations in how the mainspring is done in the Heeren as made by various makers.

You mention opening it with the thumb. Oddly, I always imagined opening the action by flicking the wrist forward and having the trigger finger unlock and throw the action. Depending on how stiff is the mainspring, I can see doing it so could soon make the side of the finger sore.

Karl
IP Logged

scharfe
Oldtimer

A good plan today beats
a perfect plan tomorrow.

Reply #22 - Jul 8th, 2023 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
FYI
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint