Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) about the 25 hornet (Read 2848 times)
uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: about the 25 hornet
Reply #15 - Jan 24th, 2023 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
That comports with the 1896 Ideal Handbook (reprint) that I have.  Stevens 17, Remington 16.

<div class=

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jan 24th, 2023 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
BTW only thing I know about 25 Hornet is that deHaas claimed that he didn't get good results from it. But I'm pretty sure he was using metal patch bullets.

<div class=

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #17 - Jan 24th, 2023 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Smoke wrote on Jan 24th, 2023 at 1:24pm:
Ah, wasn't this started for info on the .25 Hornet?

I was hoping that it might, eventually, get around to that.

I hope to add to this soon. Right now in-between filling bullet orders my better half has me changing over a faulty water heater.  That 40 gallons of water has to be hauled upstairs out of the basement before I can move the old tank.  Its hard to see any break time to get some bullets cast from the mold that came with the rifle.  Be patient and Lord willing we will get there.

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #18 - Jan 24th, 2023 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
ndnchf wrote on Jan 24th, 2023 at 2:08pm:
FWIW, my .25 rimfire Remingtons are 1-16 twist. They shoot the 72gr Arsenal 257420 bullet just fine out to 50 yards (that's as far as I've tried).  They stabilize fine, delivering nice round holes.

Are you shooting that bullet with or without gas checks.  We did an informal study documented on our forum about using gas check type bullets without gas checks.  What we found was that when velocity was held below 1500 fps or maybe not much over 1400 fps that those bullets grouped better without the gas checks.  Once velocity reached about 1500 fps accuracy went south without the gas check.

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jan 24th, 2023 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
bullshop wrote on Jan 24th, 2023 at 3:45pm:
ndnchf wrote on Jan 24th, 2023 at 2:08pm:
FWIW, my .25 rimfire Remingtons are 1-16 twist. They shoot the 72gr Arsenal 257420 bullet just fine out to 50 yards (that's as far as I've tried).  They stabilize fine, delivering nice round holes.

Are you shooting that bullet with or without gas checks.  We did an informal study documented on our forum about using gas check type bullets without gas checks.  What we found was that when velocity was held below 1500 fps or maybe not much over 1400 fps that those bullets grouped better without the gas checks.  Once velocity reached about 1500 fps accuracy went south without the gas check.

Without gas checks, at anout 1200fps. I also use the 63gr NOE bullets I got from you. They shoot great too.

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #20 - Jan 24th, 2023 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Today was a busy day filling bullets orders, making lube, and draining the water heater tank I have to replace.  There was no time for casting today so I am still ignorant about what dimensions will be from the bullets cast with the supplied mold.  I did however shoot the rifle.  It was a very quick  (I was afraid of getting caught) informal test.  I mounted an old El Paso Weaver steel tube K-10.  I like those old K-10's for the long tube.  I ran both adjusters to about center of adjustment range. I had four cartridges loaded with 2 grain of Trail Boss and the NOE 63gn PB.   I rested over a pile of garbage that was in the PU bound for the dump.  A large cardboard box at about 30 yards with about an inch black square was the target.  The ammo had to be neck sized in a .269" sizer to chamber freely. The first shot was a couple inches low and right a good sign for having turrets at near center of adjustments.  A quick adjustment put the next three shots in about a 35 caliber hole. That seems really encouraging to me.  Now that I have that HAVE TO SHOOT IT thingy out of the way and since tomorrow is one of my two days per week off I hope to get some bullets cast with the mold that the gun is intended to shoot and load them the way they are intended to be loaded. The prey has been spotted and the chase begun!

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Jan 24th, 2023 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Good to see a man enjoying himself, (water heaters aside).

Phil

<div class=

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jan 24th, 2023 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
I think you should try that 40 rod bullet you have. Might surprise you. 

It’s one I’ve thought about, but never got around to ordering

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #23 - Jan 24th, 2023 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Dellet wrote on Jan 24th, 2023 at 9:14pm:
I think you should try that 40 rod bullet you have. Might surprise you. 

It’s one I’ve thought about, but never got around to ordering

It is on my list of things to try. Cast soft it should breach seat easily.  It is about the same length as from the mold that came with the gun maybe a wee bit shorter and is also a spitzer. The mold that came with the rifle is for a tapered bullet .259" at the base and .250" at the lead drive band. Obviously designed for breach seating. 
I didnt know so many of my customers were members here.  I dont come here much but when I need an answer to a question about single shot rifles this is most often where I find it.

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #24 - Jan 25th, 2023 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Today Wednesday was my day off but I still had domestic chores. I had to install a new water heater after emptying and removing the old one. Got that done and BS Mom is enjoying a hot shower as I type. It did cut into my free time but I did manage to get a couple hundred bullets cast for the 25 hornet. With a BHN-9 alloy the tapered spitzer bullets weigh 122 grain. At first the mold was not venting well causing bullet bases to be less than perfect. I shut down for a bit and filed a bevel at the top parting line and from then on bases were well filled with clean sharp edges, perfect. For this project anything less than perfect is unacceptable.
I was probably right about the twist being 1/10" because this bullet at 122 grain is pretty long. When I got the rifle there was some charged primed brass but because of how it was loaded I decided to break them down and just use the primed brass. What I didnt like about it was there was a Styrofoam disc tamped down on the powder leaving nearly half the case length empty so a good jump from the disc location to the bullet base. That is precisely the recipe for a bulged chamber which I think may have already started because case extraction from the chamber is harder than it should be. I will have to live with that but I wont allow it to progress further. I may be wrong but it is possible or it could just be a quirk of the gun or case length or something because its all new to me but time will tell.
So anyway I weighed the powder charges that were in the charged cases and they held 7.7 grain of what looks like AA#9. I compared several other similar type powders but AA#9 was the best match. I lubed up some of the bullets with Lotak and after I figured out the breach seater started out loading three rounds with 5 grain of AA#9. At 100 yards the group was perfectly vertical at about 2.5" top to bottom. One of the fired cases collapsed at the mouth I believe indicating insufficent chamber pressure. The next three were with 6gn AA#9 and the POI cam up a couple inches and was round at about an inch or slightly. Another case collapsed at the mouth so pressure is still too low at 6gn. That was the end of daylight for today but I already have four rounds charged with 7gn AA#9 for tomorrow if I can sneak out there between casting sessions. By all indications this thing is going to shoot really well once I get the load dialed in.
The gun is quite heave with a large fat but fairly short barrel. With all the weight recoil is about zero and the target stays in the field of view in the scope. Thats a big help when shooting small pest varmints to be able to spot your shots in the scope. This is certainly not a field piece but once it is set up near a dog town or gopher village anything that pops up within a couple hundred yards will be in a world of hurt.
I have a whole bunch of powders with similar burn rate to AA#9 that in time I hope to try. Two new ones that we just got are AA 11-FS and TCM. Those and a few older similar powders should keep me busy for quite some time.
Another nice plus with this rifle is the very low noise level. The small charges of fairly fast powders are consumed well within the rifle barrel length.
One other observation I wanted to mention is about the Hoch action itself and that is that it is big!!! If its robust size is an indicator of it strength then I would say it a tank. Its it big but also precision made and snuggling up to the beast instills confidence something needed to win matches.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #25 - Sep 10th, 2024 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
Bullshop, I recently acquired a Stevens 44 1/2 in 25 Hornet. This morning I got it shooting perty good with about 1/4 minute of vertical deviation. Used two bullets, a Dave Mos 120 gr and a Pope style bullet at 111 gr. WSR primers, 9 gr H108, no wad, no wind flags and I used iron sights at 200 yards. My rifle has a choked BRC barrel at about 26 inches. Bullet alloy was about 22-1 lead tin. Hope this helps. 
Seems to me the 25 Hornet is rather rare. I like it so far. Sure is cheap to shoot.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

dave j
Participating Member

Reply #26 - Sep 10th, 2024 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
i acquired a Hoch in 25 Hornet a while back and it is working pretty good. Have not worked with it much but it seems to like H108 (WC820) 8.4 gr with a 120 Mos,SPG,7 1/2 primers. easy to fireform. like Joe said it doesn't eat much. Cheesy

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #27 - Sep 10th, 2024 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
Joe and Dave,  What are the twists in your .25 Hornets?

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #28 - Sep 10th, 2024 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
10 twist. My first BRC barrel. Used bpjacks load and it seems to be working. Snuck up on it starting with 8.2 grains. Went to 9 and the groups really shrunk. Hey, that was to easy!  Grin

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #29 - Sep 10th, 2024 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
But we cannot take them back to Etna Green for the Quarter Bore matches. Bummer, we need a clause, A wildcat clause...?  Huh

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint