Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Primer Power .? (Read 2787 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Primer Power .?
Reply #30 - Jan 23rd, 2023 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
One could only hope that the Moderator's would keep this as Sticky for everyone's future use. 

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Jan 24th, 2023 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
See attachments for two good article on primer testing.  Note, the articles are not dated but after a little research I found one was published on 1/2011 and the other on 3/2012.

The comments in the first part of the articles are almost identical but some of the testing and primers are different.

Wayne
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2023 at 11:11pm by texasmac »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 439 KB | 16 Downloads )
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 471 KB | 5 Downloads )

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Jan 26th, 2023 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
Guys,

See the attached article dated 1-2011 in my previous post.  Note that sorting primers by weight is mentioned.  I’ve previously seen it suggested in jest here & on some of the other forums, but after additional research I’ve found that some of the precision high-power match shooters are actually sorting primers.  So for grins I sorted 10ea. of the following on a laboratory analytical scale that has a resolution of 0.001gram (1mg or 1 milligram) although not to the precision/resolution mentioned in the article.

CCI 350 LP Mag: 296 – 305mg (difference of 9mg)
CCI 550 SP Mag: 223 – 229mg (difference of 6mg)
Win LR: 341 – 350mg (difference of 09mg)
Fed 215 LR Mag: 362 – 369mg (difference of 7mg)
Fed GM215M LR Mag Match: 363 – 367mg (difference of 4mg)
Fed GM150M LP Match: 305 – 308mg (difference of 3mg).  This is the stuff I use for BPCR silhouette.

I know some of you have wondered what the difference is in standard vs. match primers & are the additional prices of match primers worth it?  Of course a much larger sampling would be required and a better scale, but even this very limited sampling suggests that the Federal match stuff is more consistent, although the same may not apply to other manufacturers. 

I have read that the difference in standard vs. match is the experience of the operators applying the primer solution in the cups.  One manufacturer said they rotate operators on the cup and anvil machines but not the primer solution squeegee station when making match primers.  Apparently there are little or no weight variances when punching out the cups and anvils, so it’s not operator critical.  Applying the primer solution is the critical step which makes sense if you think about it.  In any case I’m sticking with match primers.  And nope, I’m not planning on sorting primers as standard practice.

Wayne

« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2023 at 12:01am by texasmac »  

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Jan 26th, 2023 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
I have sorted primers in the past by weight and what a pain in the A__s. 
I also could not see any worth while difference but it t didn't hurt to give it a try.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Jan 26th, 2023 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Wayne, just for the record, there are 1000mg in 1g. So .1g is 100mg.

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Jan 27th, 2023 at 12:04am
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Jan 26th, 2023 at 7:39pm:
Wayne, just for the record, there are 1000mg in 1g. So .1g is 100mg.

Thanks for identifying the typo.  It should have read as ... has a resolution of 0.001gm.  I just corrected it in the posting.

Wayne

IP Logged

hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #36 - Jan 27th, 2023 at 9:14am
Print Post  
Has anyone ever weighed the separate components of a primer? I wonder what percent of the total weight that the explosive material represents. Perhaps the majority of the difference in the weight of weighed primers is more in the metal components, than in the metal components, and therefore this might explain the reason that lighter and heavier primers do not really make a difference in accuracy?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Jan 27th, 2023 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Yes Barry Darr did extensive tests on all of a primers components. 
If I remember right during our discussions on this subject I believe he was trying to narrow it down to any priming charge variations.   
As far as the cups and the anvils themselves there was quite a bit of variation but I don't now exactly recall the variations in just the priming charges. 

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Jan 27th, 2023 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
If you run a google search on "weighing rifle primer cups & anvil" you'll find that several have weighed them.  All the results I've read are the weights of the cups & anvils from the same brand are very consistent, it's the priming compound that can vary, which I've verified via my limited testing.

A couple of experimenting precision shooters collected a bunch of fired primers, cleaned them in a solution to remove any of the fired residue & weighed them separately.  There was essentially no differences in the weights within the same brand/type.

Wayne

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Jan 27th, 2023 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
Only difference might have been in that Barry did the disassembly before being fired
Might also add that he was also an engineer and maybe just unknown to most.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint