Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Primer Power .? (Read 2803 times)
texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Primer Power .?
Reply #15 - Jan 20th, 2023 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
About 10 yrs ago I ran a quick experiment.  At the time I was testing some primers & wondered how far the primer alone would push a PJ Creedmoor, 427 gr, 25:1 alloy, 0.4095” driving band bullet up the bore of my .40-65 with respective bore and groove diameters of 0.4008” & 0.4091”. I slip fitted the bullet in the case so it touched the leade and fired away. It only moved about 0.2” with the 2nd band lightly engraved by the rifling. Surprised, surprised! Based on the previous primer tests I’d expected the bullet to end up much further down the bore. But it obviously requires a good deal of energy to drive an oversize, although relatively soft, bullet even partly down a tight bore.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jan 20th, 2023 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
Years ago, Charlie Dell did a batch of experiments on primer "power", without much success.  He was propelling air-gun projectiles and measuring their velocity.
My impression at the time was that he was looking for UNIFORM performance of the primers.

CHRIS

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jan 20th, 2023 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
Barry Darr and an Engineer did make a fixture for such tests but unfortunately that information is now gone since he has now passed.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jan 20th, 2023 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
All this measures only the explosion pressure, not the heat transfer, which is what lights up the powder charge.

<div class=

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jan 20th, 2023 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Jan 20th, 2023 at 8:46pm:
All this measures only the explosion pressure...

Which is the question RJ-35-40 asked in his posting that started this thread.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #20 - Jan 21st, 2023 at 11:19am
Print Post  
One of the issues you'll run into when trying to make up sub sonic loads is the danger of not sealing the chamber. If the pressures aren't high enough to expand the case and seal the chamber the powder will blow back around the case and may hit the shooter's face.
Back when I shot bullseye matches in our local league I was experimenting with how slow I could make my .45ACP rounds to allow my 185 SWC bullets have as little recoil as possible, and allow me to get back on target for timed and rapid fire stages. I was getting some help from S&W tech who sent me a set of various springs to allow my 745 IPSC pistol to cycle properly with light loads. 
The testing of lighter and lighter loads went great until I reached a load light enough to not seal the chamber, and got sprayed in the face with burnt gunpowder. I picked up my ejected brass and saw it was black with burnt powder. So I stopped at that point and went back to the next hotter load of about 50 fps faster. It had slight blackening outside the case mouth, but never anything getting past the case. 
So if you mess with squib loads, just be sure to wear good eye protection, and even a grinding shield might not be a bad idea as you're working down to lower levels.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

RJ-35-40

Reply #21 - Jan 21st, 2023 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Val,

Good advise

I have a Winchester 94 in 45 Colt.
Many years ago, One of the most accurate loads was a a very light charge of 700X.

The cases did not seal the chamber as they were black and there was a a fair amount of un burned powder in the bore but it was surprisingly accurate. 

marlinguy wrote on Jan 21st, 2023 at 11:19am:
One of the issues you'll run into when trying to make up sub sonic loads is the danger of not sealing the chamber. If the pressures aren't high enough to expand the case and seal the chamber the powder will blow back around the case and may hit the shooter's face.
Back when I shot bullseye matches in our local league I was experimenting with how slow I could make my .45ACP rounds to allow my 185 SWC bullets have as little recoil as possible, and allow me to get back on target for timed and rapid fire stages. I was getting some help from S&W tech who sent me a set of various springs to allow my 745 IPSC pistol to cycle properly with light loads. 
The testing of lighter and lighter loads went great until I reached a load light enough to not seal the chamber, and got sprayed in the face with burnt gunpowder. I picked up my ejected brass and saw it was black with burnt powder. So I stopped at that point and went back to the next hotter load of about 50 fps faster. It had slight blackening outside the case mouth, but never anything getting past the case. 
So if you mess with squib loads, just be sure to wear good eye protection, and even a grinding shield might not be a bad idea as you're working down to lower levels.

IP Logged

RJ-35-40

Reply #22 - Jan 21st, 2023 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Wayne, et.al

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for.

So as I start to experiment with breech seating
your information and that offered by others (Val) (thanks) provide some helpful and information on the subject.

Given that approximately .2" of increased case volume
is  relatively small I would assume there is an insignificant decrease in chamber pressure as a result of the primer induced projectile movement. 

Bob

texasmac wrote on Jan 20th, 2023 at 7:43pm:
About 10 yrs ago I ran a quick experiment.  At the time I was testing some primers & wondered how far the primer alone would push a PJ Creedmoor, 427 gr, 25:1 alloy, 0.4095” driving band bullet up the bore of my .40-65 with respective bore and groove diameters of 0.4008” & 0.4091”. I slip fitted the bullet in the case so it touched the leade and fired away. It only moved about 0.2” with the 2nd band lightly engraved by the rifling. Surprised, surprised! Based on the previous primer tests I’d expected the bullet to end up much further down the bore. But it obviously requires a good deal of energy to drive an oversize, although relatively soft, bullet even partly down a tight bore.

Wayne

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Jan 21st, 2023 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
For those of you interested in the results of primer power testing I offer the following attachments.

The results influenced my decision to use Federal large pistol match (GM150M) primers in my BPCR rifles.

Wayne

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 23 KB | 19 Downloads )
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 113 KB | 15 Downloads )

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #24 - Jan 21st, 2023 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
Bob, 
I also experimented with the .45 Colt in my S&W Model 25 that I used for practical pistol events. Like you I found those very low velocity loads extremely accurate, but also blackened cases when firing them. They never resulted in powder or gas back in my face with a little blackening, and both recoil and accuracy were great at that point.

IP Logged

RJ-35-40

Reply #25 - Jan 21st, 2023 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
Wayne ,

Thanks for sharing the information.
I've quite enjoyed reading your many articles about all aspects of the sport over the years.

This most recent linked article saved me a lot of time as I was contemplating something very similar although loading the cases with inert materials was something I had not thought of... 

For those who have not had the pleasure of reading Wayne's published articles go to his website

It is a treasure trove of information about BPCR as well as his  "The Browning Model 1885 Rifle."

Well worth it.

Thanks Wayne
texasmac wrote on Jan 21st, 2023 at 1:00pm:
For those of you interested in the results of primer power testing I offer the following attachments.

The results influenced my decision to use Federal large pistol match (GM150M) primers in my BPCR rifles.

Wayne

IP Logged

RJ-35-40

Reply #26 - Jan 23rd, 2023 at 10:40am
Print Post  
John,

Thanks for posting the link to the primer pics...and your observations,

RE: "In German's testing he found that the smallest primer flash provided him with the most consistent powder burn / accuracy."

Back when I was experimenting with a 45-70 
(Swiss 1 1/2F)
My lowest ES and SD was using large pistol primers and a news print disk over the primer.

My next experiment will be shooting a 32-40 using 30 American cases with the small primer pocket & opening. 

Thanks again

Bob
JLouis wrote on Jan 20th, 2023 at 1:43pm:
If one looks at the Rem. 91/2 primer flash and a non magnum primer one might tend to have a different different opinion. 
In German's testing he found that the smallest primer flash provided him with the most consistent powder burn / accuracy. 
He had also found that a primer such as the 91/2 would start a bullet moving prior to the powder achieving a full burn. 
This he found added to the inconsistent powder burning and effecting his accuracy.
But on the other hand for my own use I have found finding the right primer to use with a given powder and cartridge design does indeed make a very big difference in accuracy. 
Damn near impossible to do now due to the limited availability if any for any type of primers for the sole purpose of testing. 

IP Logged

Grumpy gumpy

Reply #27 - Jan 23rd, 2023 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
I’ve got an article somewhere, I think it was written by the lone star rolling block chap before he died, where he recommended opening up the flash hole slightly larger and a newspaper disk over the primer,  but that was 45/70 and black powder, so that could be the reason 
Gumpy

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Jan 23rd, 2023 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jan 20th, 2023 at 11:12am:
A sample of primer brisance  photos. There was a full testing and written review that used to be on Greman's web site. But he took it down because he decided to write a book. 
Also if you do a search power measuring tests have also been done.

See the attached articles which may be the ones your are referring to.
Wayne

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 388 KB | 8 Downloads )
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 162 KB | 5 Downloads )

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Jan 23rd, 2023 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Wayne thank you for also sharing all of that information as well. 
Most folks tend to think that all primers are actually close to being the same and by no means is that actually the truth. 
If anyone one wants to learn about all of hie own personal competitive accomplishments just do a search and unfortunately he is also no longer with us and he has since passed.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint