Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Primer Power .? (Read 2781 times)
RJ-35-40

Primer Power .?
Jan 20th, 2023 at 10:44am
Print Post  

So has anyone studied the amount of bullet movement
results from the standard LR primer vs. the Magnum LR primer without any powder.?

I'd guess more if the projectile is fixed vs. breech seated. Assuming the cast bullet is at least .001 larger than groove.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Primer Power .?
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2023 at 11:12am
Print Post  
A sample of primer brisance  photos. There was a full testing and written review that used to be on Greman's web site. But he took it down because he decided to write a book. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Also if you do a search power measuring tests have also been done.
« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2023 at 11:37am by JLouis »  

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2023 at 11:27am
Print Post  
RJ-35-40 wrote on Jan 20th, 2023 at 10:44am:

So has anyone studied the amount of bullet movement
results from the standard LR primer vs. the Magnum LR primer without any powder.?

I'd guess more if the projectile is fixed vs. breech seated. Assuming the cast bullet is at least .001 larger than groove. 

Not sure what you're asking really? How much bullet movement, as in maybe firing a primed case with no powder to see how far it traveled down the bore?
I have done velocity tests on duplicate loads using standard primers vs. magnum primers to see what difference there was in velocity, or accuracy for my loads. I found small increases in velocity, but no discernable differences in accuracy. So I use up my magnum primers for my loads, but just keep them separate from my loads using standard primers.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2023 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
I would also add that if a bullet should get pushed down the bore. Knocking it back can become a big problem. The more you keep knocking / hitting on it the more the bullet expands and the tighter it gets. This based on a personal experience and I was actually quite fortunate to be able to get it back. And more importantly without damaging the lands and it was by no means an easy task and it did become extremely concerning.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2023 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
In a pre-WW2 American Rifleman there was an article describing a crude test.  They fired primer-only loads in a rifle mounted vertically, with a dowel down the bore. They eyeballed how high the dowel was propelled, using a yardstick.  Just though you'd like to know that.    

Driving a lead bullet out isn't any different than slugging a bore. For a decade or more my SOP for slugging has been to fire an oversize plain lead bullet with primer only, or just a grain or two of Bullseye,  so that it stops in the bore.  Tapping it back out is trivial.   With a little fine tuning I can even control whether it stops in the throat or near the muzzle.
« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2023 at 12:26pm by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jan 20th, 2023 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
About 20 years ago I did a lot of testing with my 45-70 Sharps.   One of the things was the difference between magnum and standard large rifle primers.  In that series of tests, the magnum primers consistantly gave lowere velocieties than the standard primers.   This was with various granulations of black powder.     The velocity difference was also found to be the same a couple of years ago when I was chronographing a couple of Spencers.   Magnum primers lower velocity than the standard ones.   

Supposedly magnum promers are supposed to be hotter, so why the lower velocity with black powder?   

George

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jan 20th, 2023 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
magnum primer were never about adding anything to the power of a load- at least not directly. What the purpose was is to provide a longer, heat-generating source of ignition so that the typically slow (harder to ignite) powders would burn consistently. If, for instance, you had a load with slow powder shooting quite well with standard priming, adding a mag primer is most likely to upset that good combination and be poorer performing- accuracy, velocity or both may suffer. My own shooting with magnum rifles. 7mm, .300 and ,375 for the most part have shown this since I am always getting great results with standard priming. Depending on yer own loads you may get the same results.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jan 20th, 2023 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Uscra112 I agree about pushing it out and what I should have done in the first place.  But not the same as knocking it back out especially once it has been bumped up and will no longer move in either direction. Again this only based on my own personal experience and I have no reason to not be truthful.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jan 20th, 2023 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
If one looks at the Rem. 91/2 primer flash and a non magnum primer one might tend to have a different different opinion. 
In German's testing he found that the smallest primer flash provided him with the most consistent powder burn / accuracy. 
He had also found that a primer such as the 91/2 would start a bullet moving prior to the powder achieving a full burn. 
This he found added to the inconsistent powder burning and effecting his accuracy.
But on the other hand for my own use I have found finding the right primer to use with a given powder and cartridge design does indeed make a very big difference in accuracy. 
Damn near impossible to do now due to the limited availability if any for any type of primers for the sole purpose of testing. 

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jan 20th, 2023 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
I succumbed to the "running out of primers" fear and ordered some from Natchez when they had a free hazmat special this week. Going back to my olden days of the 1960s I ordered some Remington 1 1/2 and 5 1/2 primers for $85 a thousand. I figured the 1 1/2 ones would be good for the puny pistols and the 5 1/2 ones could save my Federal Match stock in some loads. We'll see.

IP Logged

Nero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jan 20th, 2023 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Just to muddy the waters a bit can I bring in the cases with the smaller primer hole.
With the smaller flash hole the theory is that the primer flash will go through the powder further and quicker?
Of claims of better accuracy with cases like this, is it the case  that is giving it as like the 222 does.

IP Logged

RJ-35-40

Reply #11 - Jan 20th, 2023 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
Val,

Yes I am curious, purely from academic viewpoint,
How far a bullet travels with no powder.

If the bullet travels 'X' from the primer pressure only how much additional pressure from the powder ignition  would be required to completely burn all the powder and still maintain just under sub sonic velocities and complete obturation in a soft, well fitted, lead projectile. 

I know there are various factors , neck tension, fit etc
============================
Not sure what you're asking really? How much bullet movement, as in maybe firing a primed case with no powder to see how far it traveled down the bore? [/quote]

IP Logged

GWarden
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Jan 20th, 2023 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Reply to Nero on flash hole size being a factor. In the 32/40 using BP and a RMC Everlast case with a small flash hole, the accuracy I get is much improved over using a case with a standard flash hole. But am using Rem 71/2 primers.

Game Warden: what boys dream of being and old men wish they could have been

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jan 20th, 2023 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
The most plausible explanation for the so-called SEE phenomenon in large cases with less-than-full charges of slow powder is that the primer explosion drives the (jacketed) bullet into the leade, where it stops, prior to the full burn of the powder.  The stopped bullet is, of course, your classic bore obstruction.

<div class=

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #14 - Jan 20th, 2023 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
RJ-35-40 wrote on Jan 20th, 2023 at 4:21pm:
Val,

Yes I am curious, purely from academic viewpoint,
How far a bullet travels with no powder.

If the bullet travels 'X' from the primer pressure only how much additional pressure from the powder ignition  would be required to completely burn all the powder and still maintain just under sub sonic velocities and complete obturation in a soft, well fitted, lead projectile. 

I know there are various factors , neck tension, fit etc
============================
Not sure what you're asking really? How much bullet movement, as in maybe firing a primed case with no powder to see how far it traveled down the bore?

[/quote]

a parallel question was answered by an article of the MINIMUM load for a snub-nosed revolver (cast bullets).

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint