Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Rosie in the rain (Read 2316 times)
RBKenn

Rosie in the rain
Dec 18th, 2022 at 2:54am
Print Post  
Just returned from a Roosevelt Elk hunt in coastal Oregon.  Knight muzzle loading rifle.  Wind and rain made things interesting to say the least.   94 yards with a No Excuse 420 grain bullet.  Two days cutting and wrapping the meat.  Fine eating.  Filled the freezer to the door.  Will certainly have all I need for the winter.

IP Logged

singleshotsam
Oldtimer

Re: Rosie in the rain
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2022 at 9:32am
Print Post  
Congratulations Kenn, nice bull and lots of good eating. Anxious to hear the details of the hunt.

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2022 at 9:35am
Print Post  
Congratulations on your successful hunt! Smiley

IP Logged

Timetripper

Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2022 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
Well done! It was good that you didn't have a flintlock in that weather!

John

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Dec 19th, 2022 at 9:38am
Print Post  
Very nice elk Ken! I've contemplated a muzzleloader hunt here in Oregon, but never yet done one.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

RBKenn

Reply #5 - Dec 19th, 2022 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
I would heartily recommend it.
The fibre optic sights are wonderful!!!    Old eyes and dim light can make the dark timber and days ends a bit challenging with traditional iron Rendezvous rifle sights.

IP Logged

Timetripper

Reply #6 - Dec 19th, 2022 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
Have yet to put fiber optics on my long rifle. I am in the denial stage.  Wink
The late flintlock season in Pennsylvania is coming up after Christmas. I'm hoping for snow this year, not the frozen slop of the past few years.

John

IP Logged

Otony

Reply #7 - Dec 19th, 2022 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Without giving away specific details, whereabouts on the Oregon Coast did you hunt?

I ask because we are relocating to Bandon soon, and I’ve seen the elk herds between Eugene and Reedsport. Makes me wonder if you were anywhere nearby.

Otony

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #8 - Dec 20th, 2022 at 11:23am
Print Post  
RBKenn wrote on Dec 19th, 2022 at 6:05pm:
I would heartily recommend it.
The fibre optic sights are wonderful!!!    Old eyes and dim light can make the dark timber and days ends a bit challenging with traditional iron Rendezvous rifle sights.

Oregon's decision in recent years to relax ML regulations has made hunting with a ML much more attractive. Previous "traditional only" rules made it a real challenge to do this hunt. Back when only traditional style rifles, and sights were allowed it made hunting in rainy November weather a real challenge. Not that it's easy now, but at least rifles are better to use now.

IP Logged

RBKenn

Reply #9 - Dec 20th, 2022 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
I was contemplating putting the fibre optic sights on one of my traditional .54 Hawkens. Just couldn't bring my self to do it.
The Knight rifle I used belongs to the outfitter.   

As for location, we were just east of Coos Bay near Coquille in the steep coastal mountains, (is there any other kind) hunting timber company leases.  Observed a good number of elk daily.
Passed on one big bull that was in a deep hole because it would have taken about 3 hours per load (multiple loads) of meat to get him out.  At my age there are concessions to make to the hunting gods.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Dec 20th, 2022 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
It is my understanding that the reason for a primitive "traditional" big game season, was to allow those to hunt with said rifles, without the woods being overrun by hunters with high powered rifles. Thus giving those hunters a more level playing field and enjoyment of a beautiful time of year to spend in the outdoors and enjoy their choice of firearm(an inch)and they will find a way to take (a mile). My definition of primitive does not include saboted bullets, primer ignition, bolt action breech loading, modern high power scopes and on and on. I believe that some of the blame rests with the game departments, as they see it as a way to sell more licences to bring in more revenue. That not being the original intent for their existence. Some still hunt with a traditional rifle, and I applaud them.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #11 - Dec 20th, 2022 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
rkba2nd wrote on Dec 20th, 2022 at 2:07pm:
It is my understanding that the reason for a primitive "traditional" big game season, was to allow those to hunt with said rifles, without the woods being overrun by hunters with high powered rifles. Thus giving those hunters a more level playing field and enjoyment of a beautiful time of year to spend in the outdoors and enjoy their choice of firearm(an inch)and they will find a way to take (a mile). My definition of primitive does not include saboted bullets, primer ignition, bolt action breech loading, modern high power scopes and on and on. I believe that some of the blame rests with the game departments, as they see it as a way to sell more licences to bring in more revenue. That not being the original intent for their existence. Some still hunt with a traditional rifle, and I applaud them.

Here in Oregon traditional ML season was simply to allow people who hunted with ML to actually use 100% true originals, or replicas of the same. It required the hunters to use iron sights that were traditional, and also rifles of percussion or flintlock, with open ignition systems.
So a number of people hunting this season were challenged by what our typical November/December rainy weather could add to the challenge. Most had no problem with the sight rule, but both flintlocks, and percussions could result in missed shots when those types of ignition systems got wet. I have a friend who hunts this season every chance he gets and told me he uses a piece of masking tape over the muzzle, and some saran wrap over his cap and nipple when he's hunting in wet weather. He removes the saran wrap to shoot, but just lets the powder bow the tape off the crown.
I'm not sure if our rules allow sabots now that they're relaxed or not? They changed a couple years ago, and again for this year to loosen up rules some more. But still have to use a muzzle loader, so there's nobody running around this season with cartridge guns.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Dec 20th, 2022 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
Here's the rules for Colorado ML:
2. MUZZLELOADING RIFLES & SMOOTHBORE MUSKETS
a. Only legal muzzleloaders allowed in muzzleloading seasons.
b. In-line muzzleloaders are legal.
c. Must be a single barrel that fires a single round ball or conical projectile.
d. To hunt deer, pronghorn or bear, conical bullets must be a minimum of .40
caliber, and round-ball bullets must be a minimum of .50 caliber.
e. To hunt elk or moose, conical bullets must be a minimum of .50 caliber, and
round-ball bullets must be a minimum of .54 caliber.
f. From .40 caliber to .50 caliber, bullets must weigh a minimum of 170 grains.
g. If greater than .50 caliber, bullets must weigh a minimum of 210 grains.
h. Shotshell primers and B.O.R. Lock MZ System bullets are legal.
i. Pelletized powder systems are prohibited during muzzleloading seasons.
j. Cannot be loaded from the breech during muzzleloading seasons.
k. Only open or iron sights allowed in muzzleloading seasons. Fiber optics
and fluorescent paint incorporated into or on open or iron sights are legal.
Scopes or any sighting device using artificial light, batteries and electronic
gear are prohibited during muzzleloading seasons.
l. Sabots are prohibited during muzzleloading seasons. Cloth patches are not sabots.
m. Smokeless powder is prohibited in muzzleloading seasons. Black powder
and black-powder substitutes are legal.
n. Electronic or battery-powered devices cannot be incorporated into or at-
tached to muzzleloader during muzzleloading seasons.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Dec 20th, 2022 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
There are many states that allow much of what I mentioned. To my way of thinking, not in the spirit or original intention. But I don't make the laws.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Dec 20th, 2022 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
Marlinguy, Does Oregon have a special season for muzzle loading rifles only?

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Otony

Reply #15 - Dec 20th, 2022 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
RBKenn wrote on Dec 20th, 2022 at 2:05pm:
I was contemplating putting the fibre optic sights on one of my traditional .54 Hawkens. Just couldn't bring my self to do it.
The Knight rifle I used belongs to the outfitter.  

As for location, we were just east of Coos Bay near Coquille in the steep coastal mountains, (is there any other kind) hunting timber company leases.  Observed a good number of elk daily.
Passed on one big bull that was in a deep hole because it would have taken about 3 hours per load (multiple loads) of meat to get him out.  At my age there are concessions to make to the hunting gods.

I thank you! We are 30 minutes south of Coos Bay, Coquille is approximately midway. I’ve looked at some of that area, and noticed a LOT of deep holes. I’m afraid at my age and the state of my health, I would be doing a whole lot more passing than shooting, but I’m still going to try.

Otony

IP Logged

Timetripper

Reply #16 - Dec 21st, 2022 at 8:22am
Print Post  
Pennsylvania has two seasons. The early season in October is a 1 week long, antlerless only hunt that allow pretty much any type of muzzle loading set up: inline, caplock, flintlock. Scopes are allowed as well. It requires an antlerless tag to participate. 
The original season started way back in the mid 1970s and occurs after Christmas. This three week late season is a flintlock only hunt with traditional sighting. No scopes allowed though I see peeps are now permitted. Buck or doe can be tagged with an unused regular antlered tag or doe with a antlerless tag. 
Any regular rifle season allows the use of any type of muzzle loader of the specified minimum caliber: .44 or larger rifles or .50 and up pistol. 
I started hunting with a flintlock in the regular firearms seasons in the early 1970s. Pennsylvania has its share of wet sloppy weather which makes it a challenge to use a flintlock, let alone a traditional percussion gun. Let's face it gents, back in the 1700 and early 1800s they didn't hunt in the rain, but holed up instead to wait it out for better weather. Nowadays we hunt on a schedule and have no choice. But at least we have better clothing ... and meds!
My coonskin cap is off to Ken for his achievement, regardless of the century.

John   

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #17 - Dec 21st, 2022 at 11:57am
Print Post  
rkba2nd wrote on Dec 20th, 2022 at 6:56pm:
Marlinguy, Does Oregon have a special season for muzzle loading rifles only?

Yes, the ML only season is after almost all the regular seasons are over. Nov. 5th-Dec. 11th this year for buck deer. But antlerless deer runs before regular rifle season, and continues long after rifle season is over. Both are controlled hunts requiring a draw tag.
For elk the season overlaps the regular rifle season, but starts Sept. 1st and goes to Nov. 30th. This is part of Oregon's "Premium Tag" draw, and is tough to win. But allows the hunter a long time and great choices.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Dec 21st, 2022 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Marlinguy, thanks for the reply.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

RBKenn

Reply #19 - Dec 22nd, 2022 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
The Oregon season I hunted was muzzleloader only.
No scopes, no sabots, loose black powder only, no 409s only flint or traditional caps.
Washington on the other hand allows the 409 primer system

IP Logged

flint45
Participating Member

Reply #20 - Dec 25th, 2022 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Congratulations on a nice bull elk.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint