Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Rosie in the rain (Read 2315 times)
Otony

Re: Rosie in the rain
Reply #15 - Dec 20th, 2022 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
RBKenn wrote on Dec 20th, 2022 at 2:05pm:
I was contemplating putting the fibre optic sights on one of my traditional .54 Hawkens. Just couldn't bring my self to do it.
The Knight rifle I used belongs to the outfitter.  

As for location, we were just east of Coos Bay near Coquille in the steep coastal mountains, (is there any other kind) hunting timber company leases.  Observed a good number of elk daily.
Passed on one big bull that was in a deep hole because it would have taken about 3 hours per load (multiple loads) of meat to get him out.  At my age there are concessions to make to the hunting gods.

I thank you! We are 30 minutes south of Coos Bay, Coquille is approximately midway. I’ve looked at some of that area, and noticed a LOT of deep holes. I’m afraid at my age and the state of my health, I would be doing a whole lot more passing than shooting, but I’m still going to try.

Otony

IP Logged

Timetripper

Reply #16 - Dec 21st, 2022 at 8:22am
Print Post  
Pennsylvania has two seasons. The early season in October is a 1 week long, antlerless only hunt that allow pretty much any type of muzzle loading set up: inline, caplock, flintlock. Scopes are allowed as well. It requires an antlerless tag to participate. 
The original season started way back in the mid 1970s and occurs after Christmas. This three week late season is a flintlock only hunt with traditional sighting. No scopes allowed though I see peeps are now permitted. Buck or doe can be tagged with an unused regular antlered tag or doe with a antlerless tag. 
Any regular rifle season allows the use of any type of muzzle loader of the specified minimum caliber: .44 or larger rifles or .50 and up pistol. 
I started hunting with a flintlock in the regular firearms seasons in the early 1970s. Pennsylvania has its share of wet sloppy weather which makes it a challenge to use a flintlock, let alone a traditional percussion gun. Let's face it gents, back in the 1700 and early 1800s they didn't hunt in the rain, but holed up instead to wait it out for better weather. Nowadays we hunt on a schedule and have no choice. But at least we have better clothing ... and meds!
My coonskin cap is off to Ken for his achievement, regardless of the century.

John   

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #17 - Dec 21st, 2022 at 11:57am
Print Post  
rkba2nd wrote on Dec 20th, 2022 at 6:56pm:
Marlinguy, Does Oregon have a special season for muzzle loading rifles only?

Yes, the ML only season is after almost all the regular seasons are over. Nov. 5th-Dec. 11th this year for buck deer. But antlerless deer runs before regular rifle season, and continues long after rifle season is over. Both are controlled hunts requiring a draw tag.
For elk the season overlaps the regular rifle season, but starts Sept. 1st and goes to Nov. 30th. This is part of Oregon's "Premium Tag" draw, and is tough to win. But allows the hunter a long time and great choices.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Dec 21st, 2022 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Marlinguy, thanks for the reply.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

RBKenn

Reply #19 - Dec 22nd, 2022 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
The Oregon season I hunted was muzzleloader only.
No scopes, no sabots, loose black powder only, no 409s only flint or traditional caps.
Washington on the other hand allows the 409 primer system

IP Logged

flint45
Participating Member

Reply #20 - Dec 25th, 2022 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Congratulations on a nice bull elk.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint