Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Help loading my first CPA .32-40 (Read 4562 times)
RJ-35-40

Re: Help loading my first CPA .32-40
Reply #30 - Dec 24th, 2022 at 11:15am
Print Post  
RE: "Klein nut driver"

Actually looking at a picture of the "Klein nut driver"
I see 5/16 or .3215 is one of the extension options.
Clever, so what is the OD of the 5/16th extension and do you believe it enters the chamber concentrically ..?

TIA

rj

gunlaker wrote on Dec 24th, 2022 at 9:50am:
I've made similar ones for one of my 38-55 highwalls, but instead of using the action to push the plunger rod, I use a Klein nut driver 😊

I recently bought a seater that bpjack made for my .32-40 highwall.  I like it a lot.

Chris.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Dec 24th, 2022 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
RJ-35-40 wrote on Dec 24th, 2022 at 11:15am:
RE: "Klein nut driver"

Actually looking at a picture of the "Klein nut driver"
I see 5/16 or .3215 is one of the extension options.
Clever, so what is the OD of the 5/16th extension and do you believe it enters the chamber concentrically ..?

TIA

rj

gunlaker wrote on Dec 24th, 2022 at 9:50am:
I've made similar ones for one of my 38-55 highwalls, but instead of using the action to push the plunger rod, I use a Klein nut driver 😊

I recently bought a seater that bpjack made for my .32-40 highwall.  I like it a lot.

Chris.

The way it works is like this.  I have a brass rod at 0.375" which is threaded on one end and slides inside a fireformed 38-55 case.  The threaded end has a long machine screw with two nuts on it (to act like a jam nut for setting seating depth).  The bullet goes into the case like normal and I insert the case into the chamber.  I use the nut driver to push on the head of the machine screw until the jamb nuts bottom out on the case head.  The bullet is now seated concentrically in the bore.

It only works for bullets that can be seated without a lot of effort as it has no real leverage.  I would build something better but have no machining tools other than a drill press and files.   My brother has an old mill which I have some access to, but no lathe.   

Chris.

IP Logged

RJ-35-40

Reply #32 - Jan 3rd, 2023 at 4:36am
Print Post  
Chris,

Thanks for the explanation...
Good idea I'm sure.
In your experience have you ever breech seated a bullet out further than the top of the case?

TIA
RJ

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Jan 3rd, 2023 at 9:05am
Print Post  
RJ-35-40 wrote on Jan 3rd, 2023 at 4:36am:
Chris,

Thanks for the explanation...
Good idea I'm sure.
In your experience have you ever breech seated a bullet out further than the top of the case?

TIA
RJ

Actually I've never breech seated one that wasn't out past the end of the case.  Generally I seat them out to engrave about 1/2 of the base band.   

Chris.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Jan 3rd, 2023 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
Also do not hesitate to also try engraving the bullet just beyond its base. 
It also does matter just how far it sticks out beyond the mouth of the case.
Myself personally I have found increased accuracy by doing just this and even if takes seating the bullet 3/8 of an inch beyond the mouth of the case. 
Every chamber can be very different and for me personally and all though it has always been highly recommended.
Engraving the bullet half way through the baseband has never worked all that well for myself. 
This also holds true for another popular rule and that being 1/16 of an inch beyond the mouth of the case. 
Bullet design , shape, chamber dimensions and etc. can also leave a bullet just barely being engraved. 
One also needs to think about is when a bullet is seated is it actually providing a 100% positive gas seal. 
And just importantly is it also being seated directly in line with the bore. 
These are just things to also think about to achieve the very best of accuracy that your rifle can actually provide for yourself.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

RJ-35-40

Reply #35 - Jan 3rd, 2023 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Thanks, John, Chris et.al,

Obviously I am new to breech seating so all the info and observations are appreciated.

I'm looking forward to the experimentation process. Really wish I had a range out behind my residence as so many others do but I think my condo association might frown on the practice.

IIRC someone spoke about using floral foam in this or a different thread. While a number of suggestions have been made about whether to place it at the case mouth or on an angle near the powder what I don't recall were any comments on which floral foam to use.

Ray H. a local aficionado, good fellow and accomplished shooter here in St. Augustine reminded me to be sure to use 'wet' floral foam as opposed to the other type (dry?), even though the product is not wet per se' I understand it makes a difference.

So thanks for the input from all..

RJ

JLouis wrote on Jan 3rd, 2023 at 1:04pm:
Also do not hesitate to also try engraving the bullet just beyond its base. 
It also does matter just how far it sticks out beyond the mouth of the case.
Myself personally I have found increased accuracy by doing just this and even if takes seating the bullet 3/8 of an inch beyond the mouth of the case. 
Every chamber can be very different and for me personally and all though it has always been highly recommended.
Engraving the bullet half way through the baseband has never worked all that well for myself. 
This also holds true for another popular rule and that being 1/16 of an inch beyond the mouth of the case. 
Bullet design , shape, chamber dimensions and etc. can also leave a bullet just barely being engraved. 
One also needs to think about is when a bullet is seated is it actually providing a 100% positive gas seal. 
And just importantly is it also being seated directly in line with the bore. 
These are just things to also think about to achieve the very best of accuracy that your rifle can actually provide for yourself.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #36 - Jan 3rd, 2023 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
In the targets I posted the base of my bullet was .151" past my .32 RKS case mouth and my bullet base had more than half of it engraved by the rifling.

In other words the bullet base is fully inserted past the leade in front of the case mouth.

It was fully inserted with a Weber adjustable seater so the entire bullet was completely inserted into the rifle's bore.

Most importantly the base was inserted far enough for a complete gas seal preventing any gas starting to cut around the side of the bullet before it starts moving down the bore.

A fully inserted bullet ensures the bullet is better aligned concentrically (which results in much better accuracy).

This is the minimum depth you need to seat your bullet.

You can increase your case volume more by slowly moving the bullet further outwards - this allows you to fine tune your powder load as indicated in the four targets where I resulted in different group sizes by adjusting my Weber seater.

Smaller volume cases (.32 Miller short) benefit more from fine tuning your load than do larger volume cases (.32 RKS).

Smaller volume cases are more sensitive to powder volume changes and require more fine tuning whereas the larger volume cases are not as sensitive to minor powder volume changes.
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2023 at 1:53pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Jan 3rd, 2023 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
Personally would not recommend using any floral foam in your 32-40 it actually does not provide any type of a positive purpose. I
I have personally found that accuracy consistency also suffers. 
Also when inserting your power charged case doing it very gently. 
You want the powder in the case to always to remain in the same orientation. 
In other words if you just shove the case into the chamber and when it stops very suddenly the powder will be moved forward and the ignition consistency will indeed suffer as also well your accuracy.

IP Logged

RayH
Oldtimer

ASSRA # 10880

Reply #38 - Jan 3rd, 2023 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
JLouis, am I correct thinking that, sometime ago, you wrote of a range session during which you gradually seated a bullet more deeply into the rifling until optimum results were obtained? If so, a reprint of that experiment would be timely.
Thanks, and Happy 2023!
Regarding use of a floral foam wad - I shoot a .32-20CPA (much shorter case than .32-40) and find a wad helpful in holding powder in place. Wet floral foam works for me.

In GOD We Trust

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Jan 3rd, 2023 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
Ray I did actually have my own personal process for establishing my own proper bullet seating depth and it was published in one of the past ASSRA Journals. 
I will look to see if I still have copy of it ? and if so any one who still might interested it can email me.
At johnnymlouis@gmail.com and hopefully I can still find it ?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #40 - Jan 3rd, 2023 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
I have also shared my own and very successful CBA experiences along with the ASSRA and ISSA's in the past with folks here and they never appreciated it. 
So now I will only share it in an email with only those who might also want to accomplish / achieve the same themselves.

IP Logged

Chief1966
Participating Member

Reply #41 - Mar 18th, 2023 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
gmkmd wrote on Dec 11th, 2022 at 8:56pm:
I would appreciate advice on starting loads for my CPA, in .32-40.  This is my first foray into Schuetzen loading.  But I’ve done plenty of long-range BPCR.
Anyway, it’s a model 52, and an early one (before they moved to Dingman’s Ferry).  I have a set of reloading dies, which are RCBS Cowboy dies (not sure how they differ from regular dies).  Any suggestions for loads, bullets, etc.?  Many thanks!

I noticed you only received one suggestion for loads, 14gr of 4227.
Anyone have more suggested started loads for the 32-40?

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #42 - Mar 18th, 2023 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
Hey guys, the OP hasn't been back in over 3 months. Did we scare him off?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint