Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hunting from a lemonaid stand on stilts (Read 848 times)
desert-dude
Senior Forum Member

Hunting from a lemonaid stand on stilts
Oct 25th, 2022 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
A bit off topic but ... 
the lemonaid stand is 5' x 6' and sitting on 6' of construction scaffolding. 
Works for an emergency stand in an area where shots are geometrically restricted.
Property is 200' wide 1000+ long bounded by parallel 200' strips on either side.
A hiking trail is next to the far boundary. We need to be high enough to preclude bouncing lead into the trail. Makes for careful thought about shot placement. 
Game unit is muzzleloader only but WA rules for modern season are pretty liberal. 
Ignition can be anything from matchlock up to a modern primer. One must use blackpowder or a bp substitute. I used a Wolf which is the light end of the CVA line. Ordered it after a restless night so was fuzzy headed at the time. If I'd been fully awake I'd gotten something with a heavier barrel, etc. 
"All's well that end well" so a 220 gr FN .401 Pb bullet .400/.500  sabot pushed by 80 gr of BH209 did the job with impact 2" to the rear of the skull. After the smoke cleared I couldn't see a deer....
hmmmm... climbed down and went to investigate ... dead deer... had dropped in it's tracks and the  grass was just high enough to obscure the result. 
Been 60 years since I'd been brave enough to try a neck shot. 

Next year I will have a CPA 44-1/2 with a .327 federal mag brass as ignition and maybe go to a Cu slug. Experimenting is half the fun. 
Thanks for your patience.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Hunting from a lemonaid stand on stilts
Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2022 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Nice shooting! Hunting with a front stuffer is another way to enjoy deer hunting!
Washington has really loosened up their muzzleloader rules in the last year or two. My nephew has a similar shaped piece of property over here on the wet side of Washington, and because of county rules he can't hunt with a rifle on his property. So he too bought a newer inline ML to hunt his place. His son is 12 yrs. old, so he's letting him use the ML to take a doe. They saw a small group of a half dozen, but the doe close enough for a shot had two fawns, so he had to pass. Hopefully they'll get another chance before the season closes.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2022 at 7:49am
Print Post  
Was back home this past weekend doing a little hunting with some friends of mine.   They were getting ready for their upcoming Montana hunt.  My buddy had a new CVA Paramount muzzleloader. It was a 40 Caliber shooting a sabot bullet that weighed 225 grains with 105 grains of high velocity Black Horn powder. It shot well out to 500 yards. Velocity was 2600 ft per second. BDC scope.  Longshot Ultra HD camera so you could see where they were hitting. I couldn't stop babbling for a half an hour, I was so amazed.

IP Logged

kootne
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Oct 27th, 2022 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Old-Win wrote on Oct 26th, 2022 at 7:49am:
Was back home this past weekend doing a little hunting with some friends of mine.   They were getting ready for their upcoming Montana hunt.  My buddy had a new CVA Paramount muzzleloader. It was a 40 Caliber shooting a sabot bullet that weighed 225 grains with 105 grains of high velocity Black Horn powder. It shot well out to 500 yards. Velocity was 2600 ft per second. BDC scope.  Longshot Ultra HD camera so you could see where they were hitting. I couldn't stop babbling for a half an hour, I was so amazed.

General season in Montana they can use that rifle, but it violates nearly all the rules for the muzzleloader season.

You can't make good decisions without good information.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Oct 27th, 2022 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
kootne wrote on Oct 27th, 2022 at 3:23pm:
Old-Win wrote on Oct 26th, 2022 at 7:49am:

General season in Montana they can use that rifle, but it violates nearly all the rules for the muzzleloader season.

I can believe it.  The definition of muzzleloader has changed rapidly in the last 20 or so years.  Where I'm from, it use to be primitive, then went to inlines, then added scopes and now these Paramounts are legal.  Southern part of MN always used to be slug only, now Contenders in rifle calibers and next year, they're talking about including all rifles in the corn belt

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint