Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Which of the CPA buttplate offerings…. (Read 686 times)
Otony

Which of the CPA buttplate offerings….
Oct 23rd, 2022 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
…..would be most suitable for a German Martini Schuetzen rifle.

The barreled action I picked up here 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

is going to need a complete stock, and I want to use the most appropriate buttplate to fit the what would have been the original style. Any suggestions? Is there another place to shop besides CPA, perhaps one of the suppliers of muzzleloader parts?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Re: Which of the CPA buttplate offerings….
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2022 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
If it was me I would pull a rifle from the closet that feels good to me and lay it on a big poster board. Mark the centerline of the bore, drop in the stick, comb, LOP etc and draw it out on the poster board. Then take your new martini barreled action and lay it on there and design your new stock to come as close to what you have on your favorite gun as you can. Use the centerline of the bore and the location of the triggers as reference points. Have some sharp pencils and lots of erasers.  Then decide what buttplate best fits that design. Id rather build a gun to feel good when shooting then to look like the original. Its amazing how even a common factory gun can be stocked in a way as to make it unshootable. I have a low wall thats like that. Shooting it is like kissing your sister.

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2022 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
sorry Zach but I got to ask hows she kiss?  Grin Cheesy Wink

IP Logged

moodyholler
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Oct 23rd, 2022 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
Covered dog in tea on that one and I'm from WV. moodyholler

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Oct 24th, 2022 at 12:00am
Print Post  
Haha one of my old mentors used to say that now and then. He would say (in a very thick Chilean accent) “oh man it is like kissing your sister”- then if anyone asked what he meant he would say “wonderful anticipation ruined by the fact that she looks so much like you.”

IP Logged

Otony

Reply #5 - Oct 24th, 2022 at 12:59am
Print Post  
ssdave wrote on Oct 24th, 2022 at 12:20am:
I didn't know you knew my sister, Zack?

You're right about the best way to do the stock.  Personally, I'd build a softwood stock,  fit and glass bed it to exact fit, try it on for fit, add bondo where needed to make it fit better, mess with it and shoot it, add and subtract bondo/wood until it fit, and then use that pattern stock to duplicate one in walnut.

Not everyone wants to do it the hard way for a better product in the long run.  Not sure what the OP intends.  I looked at his link to the rifle, and it will certainly be a challenging stock to make.

I have several friends who are stock makers, Ron Scott amongst them. Ron’s forte is building very high end flintlocks, usually in a Germanic style. He is very well known as a superb craftsman. Given that the lines of the Martini schuetzen one piece stock still carries strong indicators of its foregoing flint and percussion ancestors, he may be agreeable to working on this.

I am going to approach him about this first, but I have another friend, Warren Adair, who is more than capable and might be inclined to be more interested. And that particular friend just happens to have a duplicating machine, so the idea of a soft wood stock first is quite appropriate. Believe me, there has been a lot of bondo used over the years on patterns in his shop.

Between the two of them, I am fairly sure they can handle this, and as they are also close friends with one another, it may prove to be a joint project. I have two other fellows in mind, but doubt it will need to go that far.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Oct 24th, 2022 at 11:06am
Print Post  
For an offhand German rifle I would choose the Ballard Schuetzen CPA offers.

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Oct 24th, 2022 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
Another thing to consider is that you dont have to make this gun with a Schuetzen style buttplate. Its a fine sporting cartridge and you could take some liberties in the design. A shotgun butt gives a lot of design freedom and more wiggle room when it comes to fit. I used to hoard track  of the wolf catalogs as the listed parts were displayed actual size so you could cut them out and lay them right on your stock or your rough drawing and see how everything fit.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint