Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) A new RB stock set (Read 1256 times)
RBKenn
Senior Forum Member

A new RB stock set
Oct 13th, 2022 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
Over the years I have been fascinated by the few walnut stock blanks that featured the graft line between Black and English Walnuts.  Not considered by most, I acquired a few.
George Peterson at Treebone just carved a few of those for me. Here is one I will be using for a new Rolling Block rifle.
Nice dark straight English/French wrist with colorful Claro/Black butt.  Managed to get an early forend from the same blank.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: A new RB stock set
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2022 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
Never even knew such wood existed, or was used for stocks? That's a nice looking set. I really love dark stock wood.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

RBKenn
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2022 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Here are a couple more. Most of the smaller gunstock mills avoided this type of cut because there was only a small demand.  Corporate buyers were not interested  It is a specialty item.

IP Logged

Amoretti

Reply #3 - Oct 13th, 2022 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
I grew up in an orchard in CA.  The walnuts were planted as black walnuts for a strong root system and later grafted to english walnuts for the more desirable nuts  Don't know if they still do this.  Pears the same thing mountain bartletts were grafted to japanese root stock.

IP Logged

RBKenn
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2022 at 1:33am
Print Post  
This stuff was cut and milled in the 1980s when the grafts were about 3 to 4 feet off the ground.  Now the standard graft is just inches from the ground which leaves little room for an ample length of strong claro or black.

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Oct 14th, 2022 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Amoretti wrote on Oct 13th, 2022 at 8:39pm:
I grew up in an orchard in CA.  The walnuts were planted as black walnuts for a strong root system and later grafted to english walnuts for the more desirable nuts  Don't know if they still do this.  Pears the same thing mountain bartletts were grafted to japanese root stock.

yup ,I remember that from way back. thanks for jogging my memory. 

IP Logged

S99VG
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Oct 16th, 2022 at 11:49am
Print Post  

I grew up in the almond and walnut orchards of Chico, CA and I know what you are talking about.  Unfortuately, all those trees have pretty much been replaced by housing tracks in my old stomping grounds on the north side of town.

IP Logged

bluesman

Reply #7 - Oct 16th, 2022 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
S99VG wrote on Oct 16th, 2022 at 11:49am:

I grew up in the almond and walnut orchards of Chico, CA and I know what you are talking about.  Unfortuately, all those trees have pretty much been replaced by housing tracks in my old stomping grounds on the north side of town.

I just bought a house on the north side of Chico out near Nord ave; We were going to rebuild up here in Paradise but the costs are still going up....It's too much. I've found quite a bit of great walnut around here.

IP Logged

Packet

Reply #8 - Oct 16th, 2022 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Those stocks are gonna look great on any roller.

IP Logged

S99VG
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Oct 17th, 2022 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
bluesman wrote on Oct 16th, 2022 at 3:02pm:
S99VG wrote on Oct 16th, 2022 at 11:49am:

I just bought a house on the north side of Chico out near Nord ave; We were going to rebuild up here in Paradise but the costs are still going up....It's too much. I've found quite a bit of great walnut around here.

Nord Ave, I know it well.  My folks built their hose on Sequoyah (not Sequoia after the tree but Sequoyah after the Cherokee) Ave in 1958 and when I was a kid it was all almond and walnut orchards.  Its all houses now with one remnant of an almond orchard on the corner of Holly and West 11th.  We used to get missletoe out of the huge black walnut trees that were on that street.  My grandparents lived right next to the Grange Hall on Alamo.  The house is still there.  Sorry about Paradise, I pretty much grew up in that town too and I hardly have the heart to go look at it now.  Best of luck in your new place!

PS - Chico used to be one of the largest prducers of almonds in the world.  If you are from Chico its pronounced "Ahmond" with an emphasis on the A and not "allmond"  with the emphasis on the "all."  As we used to say - they are "allmonds" on the tree and "Ahmonds" on the ground and they got that way by shaking the L out of them!  
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2022 at 7:44am by S99VG »  

IP Logged

RBKenn
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Oct 18th, 2022 at 6:02am
Print Post  
Brings back a lot of memories. Folks purchased their homestead in 1953.  You can spot a north Sac valley long time resident by the pronunciation Ahmond.  No one else in the world speaks that way.  Started college at Chico State with Fred Huntington's son.  They owned the gun store in Oroville and were in the earlier stages of their world famous reloading die business.

IP Logged

Grumpy gumpy

Reply #11 - Oct 20th, 2022 at 2:59am
Print Post  
Most Australians pronounce it ahmond 
Gumpy

IP Logged

S99VG
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Oct 20th, 2022 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Grumpy gumpy wrote on Oct 20th, 2022 at 2:59am:
Most Australians pronounce it ahmond 
Gumpy

Nice to know.  Looks like I might have a second home in Australia!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint