Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) One great day... (Read 1923 times)
ISS
Oldtimer

One great day...
Sep 28th, 2022 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
I got a marvelous phone call last week.  From Al Story in Silver City, NM.

Nearly five years ago my brother and I had dinner with Al at Quigley.  I ordered an action from him at said dinner.

I was at my Army Ranger Company reunion in Niagara Falls,NY, last week.  We rotate at various Team Members areas each year.  I got a call from Al.  My long awaited complete action with Single Set Target Trigger is finally complete.  Adjustable to down around 8oz.  You could not have seen me then, and you cannot now.  But, as my lovely bride will attest, I was dancing on the ceiling, swinging from a ceiling fan about forty feet off the ground!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tomorrow morning I will get a Bank Check and an FFL and send them off.  In a week, I will have the action in my grubby mitts; to be sent off to the engraver that did my matching BRC rifle.  It, in a weird set of circumstances, had the action separated from its original barrel and stocks and sold.  The one I have is a silouette model in 40-65.  The barrel/stocks are in a Schuetzen M52 pattern in (surprise!) 32-40.  XXX stocks.

In about six months a matching pattern will be on this one, and refinished.

My question for the membership:  the twin rifle is color case hardened.  Should I have it case hardened to match, or in a Silver plate to contrast.  A Pepper and Salt pair, so to speak.

thanks guys,

Rich

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: One great day...
Reply #1 - Sep 28th, 2022 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
Silver turns black unless it’s kept polished.  Especially when exposed to black powder smoke.

I’d go with the case hardening myself, as the colors don’t obscure the engraving.

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 28th, 2022 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
Electroless Nickel would be a good alternative to Silver. More durable also

IP Logged

ISS
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2022 at 4:41am
Print Post  
Yes I know about silver uncared for.  I have a couple CPA's that are silver plated and engraved.  Beautiful to see and hold.
I am tending towards the satin nickel, just as I said: that salt and pepper finish.  The color case hardening on mine is dark enough to make it difficult to see the engraving clearly.
If you go to the BRC url you will see the engraving on the right of two actions, left and right sides.  One of them is mine, and the other "lost in the mists of time...".

thanks to both of you who responded.

Rich

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Sep 29th, 2022 at 8:05am
Print Post  
I know what you mean about color hardening making engraving less impressive. I had a Stevens 0441/2 engraved then color hardened. It is still nice but the engraving doesn't stand out like it did in the white.

IP Logged

chipmaker
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Sep 29th, 2022 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
ISS
If you want a semi stainless look, you might want to look into Mahovsky's Metalife hard chrome plating. 
Because it's only .0002"-.0003" thick, it doesn't materially change dimensions on gun parts or obscure engraving.
Attached is an example of the plating.
Otto

IP Logged

Timetripper

Reply #6 - Sep 29th, 2022 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
It too bad we don't have a "like"option. That receiver engraving is a wonderful piece of the engravers art.

John

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Sep 30th, 2022 at 10:41am
Print Post  
How well engraving stands out can also be determined by the depth of the engraving. The more delicate, and shallow engraving will not show well once color cased. But if it's a bit heavier, or deeper cuts it will still show nicely after color case.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Sep 30th, 2022 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
My two CPA rifles are color cased & engraved. Like Marlinguy said depth needs to be suitable for the actions finish. Having said that I prefer subdued engraving. 

Boats

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Oct 1st, 2022 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Hard chrome will never scratch.

<div class=

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #10 - Oct 2nd, 2022 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
No dog in the fight and only secondary experience to relate, but here goes.  When Dale53 had Ken Hurst create the Frogmoor Ballard he told folks he was going to have Ron Mahovsky give it a Metalife hard chrome finish, they were all horrified... thinking it would look like a chrome bumper.

Once the action was finished and then the rifle was completed, everyone was astounded at how great it looked.  The matte finish set off the detail of Ken's engraving perfectly, and until just recently it served as the focal point of Dale's collection.  I would have loved to own it myself.

Froggie

IP Logged

ISS
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Oct 4th, 2022 at 4:29am
Print Post  
Thanks for the tip gentlemen.  I really want the engraving to be the highlight, not finish.

Rich

PS: It is 2:27am, the 2:29 is nearly ninety seconds early.  Not like the engineer's usual time.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #12 - Oct 4th, 2022 at 11:34am
Print Post  
When I was building my .45-70 Hepburn project I decided to have a local engraver do some work on it before it got finish. I told him I wanted color case hardening, and he said he'd engrave it so the CCH wouldn't hide the engraving. I was very pleased with the results. It's not delicate engraving, but not too heavy handed either.

IP Logged

chipmaker
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Oct 4th, 2022 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
It's hard to predict the effect of CCH on engraving but I don't think that I've ever seen a case, where CCH enhanced the engraving.
Attached are two pictures of machine engraving, before and after CCH. The engraving is relatively deep and the colors are light.
If you are primarily interested in the engraving, I'd stay away from CCH.
Otto
« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2022 at 11:07am by chipmaker »  

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Oct 5th, 2022 at 10:28am
Print Post  
My favorite is is good engraving on somewhat faded casehardening.
Don't know how to get there except age and handling.
Chuck

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint