Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) pope barrels (Read 2883 times)
Aussie_Hunter

pope barrels
Sep 22nd, 2022 at 1:33am
Print Post  
Hope this is the correct place for this topic, some years ago I bought a reprint of a Pope-Stevens 1902 catalogue (from Cornwell Publishing), but hadn't bothered to read it until recently. I have often seen references to Pope  bbls  on this forum, and consensus is "they were good!!". Reading the catalogue, gave me a lot of info, and drawings,  and loading techniques by Mr Pope plus his (obviously true) claim as to the excellence of his bbls   My  question is why  is some-one not making this type of bbl now a days ? Thanks for any answers.

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: pope barrels
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2022 at 6:21am
Print Post  
i bet they are making similar barrel quality if you choose to pay the price   just my opinion   art

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2022 at 9:24am
Print Post  
Not that Harry Pope wasn't every bit as good as he said he was - and he did promote himself vigorously.  But there were other very fine barrel makers before, during, and after Harry's time, some so recently that you can either still buy barrels from them or rifles that already have their barrels.  You just have to bother doing the research and spending the time looking for them (with sufficient cash in your pocket, of course; best work is never cheap).

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2022 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
Pope's rifling was a refinement of George Schalck's rifling. Pope's rifling profile made his barrels well suited for muzzle loading which allowed dirty shooting (not cleaning between shots) with straight black powder and duplex loads. This was a perfect fit for the Schuetzen game back in the 1895-1915 era. By the time good smokeless powders became available, the golden years of Schuetzen had passed - therefore no real need for muzzle loading nor Pope's rifling profile.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

Tom_Trevor assra life no.71
Oldtimer

Tom Trevor

Reply #4 - Sep 22nd, 2022 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
One thing overlooked is that while his barrels were very good he tended to sell barrels to VERY GOOD shooters. Joe dub might wait a long time for a barrel while a top shooter might be moved to the top of the line.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Sep 22nd, 2022 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
Tom makes an excellent point. If you're selling almost exclusively to top shooters, then the results posted for your barrels will likely be better average than other barrels sold to anyone who wanted to order from another maker.
Pope barrels were great, and many still are. But not everything he did was proven to really make a significant advantage over others. The left hand twist for instance hasn't been proven to be better. If it was, every barrel maker would be offering left hand twist barrels. But almost all offer right hand twist, so doubt it makes a difference.
The shallow depth of rifling is something many barrel makers felt helped accuracy, as they felt it disturbed the bullet less than deep grooves did. How Pope and others designed the shape of their cutter was unique to each maker, but although each was a bit different, there were a number of them that worked great. But not all were as well known simply because they didn't all promote themselves as well.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Sep 24th, 2022 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Aussie_Hunter wrote on Sep 22nd, 2022 at 1:33am:
My  question is why  is some-one not making this type of bbl now a days ?

Depends on what you mean by "this type of bbl".  If you mean gain twist barrels, there is (was?) Ron Smith of Alberta Canada.  I hear barrels are still available from him, but age is a factor.

There's also the Borchardt Rifle Company, who currently offers gain twist rifles.

Age is also a factor in the market for these barrels.  Most customers for these are at or getting past the point where they're building rifles.

If you're not talking gain twist, there's Shilen, Kreiger, and Lilja, all of whom make barrels that will shoot as well as Pope's stuff.   And they appeal to the affecionados of modern rifles.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #7 - Sep 27th, 2022 at 11:06am
Print Post  
In order to allow for the inability of having a perfect bullet start from stationary to over 1000 fps about instantly, and perfectly follow the turns of the rifling, and all of the other factors of launching a chunk of lead accurately (and repeatably) at a circle on a piece of paper at a distance of 40 rods, Pope, along with his contemporaries did everything as accurately as possible.  To get past the things he couldn’t overcome with accurate machinery he utilized Schalk style rifle grooves to hold the bullet and impart spin to it with as little upset and distortion as possible.  In addition he used gain twist so as the bullet went through the barrel and accelerated, it was distorted less.  Also he used left hand twist and a tapered bore to ensure that each bullet was made to go through the barrel and leave the muzzle as perfectly and consistently as possible. Supposedly he opined that if you eliminated as many variables and did everything as accurately and consistently as possible, you’d have an accurate shot each time.  Smiley

With current barrel steels and modern boring machinery, it would follow that if gain twist and a slight internal taper in the bore are utilized, you should be able to produce by machine what HMP did so laboriously by hand.  Of course all manufacturing has tolerances, so you will still get some good barrels, a few very good barrels and one or two outstanding barrels from each batch.  For best results, get one of those one or two!  Cool

Froggie

PS  The jury is still out on RH vs LH twist… apparently it really doesn’t make that much difference or, as someone already observed, more barrel makers would be using it.  Wink

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Sep 29th, 2022 at 11:02am
Print Post  
Bartlein Barrels will cut High Quality gain twist barrels as well as straight twist. 
Meanwhile, my friends Boots Obermeyer and  John Krieger are convinced a straight twist is as good as a gain. Their barrels as well as Bartlein's straight twist barrels prove it in the very high end F-Class matches with their barrels being used to shoot into no more than 1/3 minute( that is 1 inch) at 300yds as a needed criterion

beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

bohemianway
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Sep 29th, 2022 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
I am familiar with Pope's methods and cutters and it took 5 to 10 times the number of passes vs cut rifling (balanced scrapers vs single point hook). What would that cost at todays labor prices? His method simply did not make duds. So statistically almost all of his barrels where good. You all remember the earlier days of button barrels which where cheaper but statistics where against you getting a good one. Now the technology has been improved so that the statistics are now really in your favor of getting a god one.

Charles

GTalk  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #10 - Sep 30th, 2022 at 10:50am
Print Post  
I recall reading that Pope took two weeks to rifle a barrel? If any maker took two weeks of labor today to rifle a barrel not many could afford the barrel.
Pope used cigarette papers as shims for his cutter. Once the fluid color changed he stopped and added another layer of paper to start cutting (or scraping) again.

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Sep 30th, 2022 at 11:29am
Print Post  
ssdave wrote on Sep 29th, 2022 at 11:50am:
At the risk of being considered a heretic on this board, I'll offer the opinion that Benchmark, Krieger, Bartlein, Lilja, Obermeyer and Chanlynn offer BETTER barrels than Pope did, in quantity, and on demand; without having to deal with a primadonna to get one.

As noted before, Ron Smith and BRC make small quantities of very good barrels also; arguably as good as Pope did and maybe better. 

I think Shilen and Douglas and Pac-nor make barrels that approach Pope quality, with some probably better.  They just make a more commercial product, rather than focusing on one of a kind masterpieces like he tried to. 

I'm sure there's a few others that I've missed that do also.

I'm another heretic and agree with you!

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Sep 30th, 2022 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
Not trying to start discord or arguments but stating that Ron Smith, Benchmark, Krieger, Bartlein, Lilja, Obermeyer, et al. make better barrels than Pope doesn’t really pass the “so what” test. The barrels on which Pope’s reputation was built were made for the Schuetzen game more than 100 years ago (by the 1920s, the big Schuetzen matches were history and the big demand for Pope’s barrels had pretty much dried up). Those would be the barrels he cut for target shooting as breech-muzzle loaders, breech loaders and .22RF. If today’s better barrel makers couldn’t meet or exceed Pope’s level of straightness, quality of rifling cutting, chambering and action fitting, etc. it would not speak well of their abilities. By the standards of machining equipment and tools today, Pope’s tools are laughable. One thing that’s amazing is the quality of barrels he produced on the tools he had.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #13 - Sep 30th, 2022 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
My dad, who was an extremely fine machinist, used to say that too many never learn how to fully use the tools they have.  Clearly he wasn't referring to Harry Pope.

Bill Lawrence
« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2022 at 10:57am by MrTipUp »  

IP Logged

kensmachine
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Sep 30th, 2022 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
I guy I know that makes barrels and looked at the tools in Ray Smiths book and had a cow you cant make good barrels on that shit. but you know Pope,Schoyen, and any # of old makers did .Ken

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #15 - Oct 1st, 2022 at 11:58am
Print Post  
Have made a few barrels. Could make muzzle loader barrels that were better than I could buy.
Single shot barrels are a different story. All mediocre, about 1 1/2 inches.
Tools are slightly more crude than Mr. Pope used. Reaming is the tough issue. Easy to get too much taper in the bore.
Bottom line is it took about three weeks to make a barrel that I could buy for $300 and not any better.
Could probably work out the bugs, but mighty poor wages.
Chuck

IP Logged

ISS
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Nov 16th, 2022 at 4:58am
Print Post  
I happily pay Ron when I want a new gain twist barrel.  Snobbery, perhaps; but there is something about a barrel made just for me, to my specs, that inspires confidence a mass made barrel, to their specs does not.

I can afford a few a year, and they only have to please ME!

Rich

IP Logged

Aussie_Hunter

Reply #17 - Nov 18th, 2022 at 12:58am
Print Post  
All most informative, and I appreciate the time and trouble to answer my question. As a post script , I bought a 40 cal. Krieger bbl in stainless 31" long and 1,1/4" in diameter. As it is to go onto an Husqvana roller, whose action I will get colour cased, I will get the bbl. ceracoted in a rich blue  and hope it looks appropriate, timber hopefully to come from Treebone.

IP Logged

J.Francis

Reply #18 - Nov 18th, 2022 at 8:15am
Print Post  
Each new generation stands on the shoulders of the generation before them. A new Subaru WRX will out accelerate, out brake and out handle a Ferrari GTO; you can buy the Subaru for 31 thousand dollars and the Ferrari for 50 million dollars. The only fair way to make comparisons is with one's contemporaries and under that light, Pope barrels and Ferrari GTO's were the best of the best. Life,time and progress march on.

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #19 - Nov 18th, 2022 at 9:36am
Print Post  
But if you ever felt the pulsing of a Ferrari-Colombo V-12 in your chest you would never opt for the Subaru (cost and availability be darned). Precision only goes so far and then it's a matter of what makes your heart sing!

If we all were merely pursuing accuracy we would be shooting the latest most advanced bolt action benchrest rifles, but they don't have the "soul" of a 120 year old single shot do they? Since we are straddling two different cultures - pure accuracy and vintage single shots - we find ourselves employing the best barrels we may, be they vintage ones from the likes of Shalck, Pope, Shoyen, Peterson, et al, or the likes of modern artists. The result is guns that are way more interesting/fun (to us, anyway).

That Subaru WRX will provide an exhilarating ride (a local buddy drives one and I can personally attest to that) but it pales in the way a vintage Ferrari/AC Cobra/etc. will suffocate all your senses.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #20 - Nov 18th, 2022 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Not sure the car comparison is a good one since many cars are purchased or loved based on much more than performance.

I think it's been proven back when Pope and other extremely good barrel makers were building barrels that Pope was a great barrel maker, but not the only one who made very accurate barrels. So his style of rifling, twist direction, and everything else could be matched by others who did their rifling much differently. 
So he wasn't the only game in town even back in the period his work was highly regarded, and today there are others doing it differently still, and also building extremely good barrels. One thing does remain the same. The barrels that seem to be the most accurate are often those built by small operations, not mass produced barrels.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #21 - Nov 18th, 2022 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
Here ya go.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Aussie_Hunter

Reply #22 - Nov 19th, 2022 at 3:04am
Print Post  
images like the ammoskeg schutzen rifle really get my attention,have more or less decided to go with the best timber I can get and with a pistol grip  stock, the  main remaining variable is  the fore end, as the bbl. is bigger than the action. Haven't ever driven aFerrari, but have driven a Lamborghini Muira, got 182mph out of it, unforgetable (that was in 1970) give me class every time !!

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #23 - Nov 19th, 2022 at 5:59am
Print Post  

Read description:

serial #26538 (Rifle No.22), 22 LR, 30" tapered full-octagon Pope-rifled barrel by Ron Smith with a bright excellent bore. This is an absolutely wonderful offering from Classic Arms Corporation of California once again, utilizing some of the top craftsmen in their fields. A faithful duplication of the Marlin Ballard Model 3F "Gallery" offhand Schuetzen target rifle with accessories and beautifully cased. The barrel retains 99% original blue showing only a few odd light scratches on the right barrel flat just at the front sight. The frame, breechblock, fancy Schalk finger rest lever and hammer exhibit all of their wonderful vibrant color case-hardening, one small flaked spot on the left side of the frame which is unobtrusive. The deeply hooked-style Schuetzen butt has all of its original blue and has small sprays of excellent quality floral scroll at heel and toe. The frame features near full coverage exceptional intertwining scroll engraving with the finest background stippling offsetting the swirls, done by E. L. Peters. The rifle is stocked by James Tucker in highly figured Circassian walnut with a high comb Schuetzen butt with left-side cheekpiece and s-curved pistolgrip, a wonderful schnabel forend with widow’s peak-style horn tip, and detachable knob-style palm rest, all rating excellent to as-new, the buttstock with a tiny rack or handling mark here or there. They feature flawlessly executed checkered panels at the grip, bottom of the pistolgrip and of course forend. The action functions perfectly mechanically and the arm is equipped with double set triggers. Sighted with a globe style front sight with interchangeable inserts (not included), no rear seat, with a beautiful fire-blued Pope tang sight adjustable for windage and elevation with multi-position aperture. The barrel is milled for Pope scope mounts dovetailed directly in the left and right diagonal flats, and the arm comes with a Montana Vintage Arms 6x period-style target scope with fine duplex-style reticle with tiny center circle and bright excellent optics, the scope rating as-new itself. The rifle is beautifully cased in full-length Jatoba wood and leather trunk case by Ray Sterck, with square crystal oil bottle, horn-handled turnscrew, and cleaning rod, set in a very attractive navy blue baize lining with Classic Arms label on the interior lid. The case itself rates about excellent with a few very minor handling marks on the lid, and a very nic

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #24 - Nov 19th, 2022 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Aussie_Hunter wrote on Nov 19th, 2022 at 3:04am:
images like the ammoskeg schutzen rifle really get my attention,have more or less decided to go with the best timber I can get and with a pistol grip  stock, the  main remaining variable is  the fore end, as the bbl. is bigger than the action.

Forearms for very large octagon barrels were usually "splinter" forearms, and only covered the bottom 3 flats. Unlike the usual forearms that cover 5 flats to wrap up around the side flats of barrels. Many factory rifles with #4 or larger barrels got these small forearms on them to solve the issue of forearms being to large on very large diameter barrels.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint