Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) pope barrels (Read 2884 times)
Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: pope barrels
Reply #15 - Oct 1st, 2022 at 11:58am
Print Post  
Have made a few barrels. Could make muzzle loader barrels that were better than I could buy.
Single shot barrels are a different story. All mediocre, about 1 1/2 inches.
Tools are slightly more crude than Mr. Pope used. Reaming is the tough issue. Easy to get too much taper in the bore.
Bottom line is it took about three weeks to make a barrel that I could buy for $300 and not any better.
Could probably work out the bugs, but mighty poor wages.
Chuck

IP Logged

ISS
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Nov 16th, 2022 at 4:58am
Print Post  
I happily pay Ron when I want a new gain twist barrel.  Snobbery, perhaps; but there is something about a barrel made just for me, to my specs, that inspires confidence a mass made barrel, to their specs does not.

I can afford a few a year, and they only have to please ME!

Rich

IP Logged

Aussie_Hunter

Reply #17 - Nov 18th, 2022 at 12:58am
Print Post  
All most informative, and I appreciate the time and trouble to answer my question. As a post script , I bought a 40 cal. Krieger bbl in stainless 31" long and 1,1/4" in diameter. As it is to go onto an Husqvana roller, whose action I will get colour cased, I will get the bbl. ceracoted in a rich blue  and hope it looks appropriate, timber hopefully to come from Treebone.

IP Logged

J.Francis

Reply #18 - Nov 18th, 2022 at 8:15am
Print Post  
Each new generation stands on the shoulders of the generation before them. A new Subaru WRX will out accelerate, out brake and out handle a Ferrari GTO; you can buy the Subaru for 31 thousand dollars and the Ferrari for 50 million dollars. The only fair way to make comparisons is with one's contemporaries and under that light, Pope barrels and Ferrari GTO's were the best of the best. Life,time and progress march on.

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #19 - Nov 18th, 2022 at 9:36am
Print Post  
But if you ever felt the pulsing of a Ferrari-Colombo V-12 in your chest you would never opt for the Subaru (cost and availability be darned). Precision only goes so far and then it's a matter of what makes your heart sing!

If we all were merely pursuing accuracy we would be shooting the latest most advanced bolt action benchrest rifles, but they don't have the "soul" of a 120 year old single shot do they? Since we are straddling two different cultures - pure accuracy and vintage single shots - we find ourselves employing the best barrels we may, be they vintage ones from the likes of Shalck, Pope, Shoyen, Peterson, et al, or the likes of modern artists. The result is guns that are way more interesting/fun (to us, anyway).

That Subaru WRX will provide an exhilarating ride (a local buddy drives one and I can personally attest to that) but it pales in the way a vintage Ferrari/AC Cobra/etc. will suffocate all your senses.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #20 - Nov 18th, 2022 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Not sure the car comparison is a good one since many cars are purchased or loved based on much more than performance.

I think it's been proven back when Pope and other extremely good barrel makers were building barrels that Pope was a great barrel maker, but not the only one who made very accurate barrels. So his style of rifling, twist direction, and everything else could be matched by others who did their rifling much differently. 
So he wasn't the only game in town even back in the period his work was highly regarded, and today there are others doing it differently still, and also building extremely good barrels. One thing does remain the same. The barrels that seem to be the most accurate are often those built by small operations, not mass produced barrels.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #21 - Nov 18th, 2022 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
Here ya go.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Aussie_Hunter

Reply #22 - Nov 19th, 2022 at 3:04am
Print Post  
images like the ammoskeg schutzen rifle really get my attention,have more or less decided to go with the best timber I can get and with a pistol grip  stock, the  main remaining variable is  the fore end, as the bbl. is bigger than the action. Haven't ever driven aFerrari, but have driven a Lamborghini Muira, got 182mph out of it, unforgetable (that was in 1970) give me class every time !!

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #23 - Nov 19th, 2022 at 5:59am
Print Post  

Read description:

serial #26538 (Rifle No.22), 22 LR, 30" tapered full-octagon Pope-rifled barrel by Ron Smith with a bright excellent bore. This is an absolutely wonderful offering from Classic Arms Corporation of California once again, utilizing some of the top craftsmen in their fields. A faithful duplication of the Marlin Ballard Model 3F "Gallery" offhand Schuetzen target rifle with accessories and beautifully cased. The barrel retains 99% original blue showing only a few odd light scratches on the right barrel flat just at the front sight. The frame, breechblock, fancy Schalk finger rest lever and hammer exhibit all of their wonderful vibrant color case-hardening, one small flaked spot on the left side of the frame which is unobtrusive. The deeply hooked-style Schuetzen butt has all of its original blue and has small sprays of excellent quality floral scroll at heel and toe. The frame features near full coverage exceptional intertwining scroll engraving with the finest background stippling offsetting the swirls, done by E. L. Peters. The rifle is stocked by James Tucker in highly figured Circassian walnut with a high comb Schuetzen butt with left-side cheekpiece and s-curved pistolgrip, a wonderful schnabel forend with widow’s peak-style horn tip, and detachable knob-style palm rest, all rating excellent to as-new, the buttstock with a tiny rack or handling mark here or there. They feature flawlessly executed checkered panels at the grip, bottom of the pistolgrip and of course forend. The action functions perfectly mechanically and the arm is equipped with double set triggers. Sighted with a globe style front sight with interchangeable inserts (not included), no rear seat, with a beautiful fire-blued Pope tang sight adjustable for windage and elevation with multi-position aperture. The barrel is milled for Pope scope mounts dovetailed directly in the left and right diagonal flats, and the arm comes with a Montana Vintage Arms 6x period-style target scope with fine duplex-style reticle with tiny center circle and bright excellent optics, the scope rating as-new itself. The rifle is beautifully cased in full-length Jatoba wood and leather trunk case by Ray Sterck, with square crystal oil bottle, horn-handled turnscrew, and cleaning rod, set in a very attractive navy blue baize lining with Classic Arms label on the interior lid. The case itself rates about excellent with a few very minor handling marks on the lid, and a very nic

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #24 - Nov 19th, 2022 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Aussie_Hunter wrote on Nov 19th, 2022 at 3:04am:
images like the ammoskeg schutzen rifle really get my attention,have more or less decided to go with the best timber I can get and with a pistol grip  stock, the  main remaining variable is  the fore end, as the bbl. is bigger than the action.

Forearms for very large octagon barrels were usually "splinter" forearms, and only covered the bottom 3 flats. Unlike the usual forearms that cover 5 flats to wrap up around the side flats of barrels. Many factory rifles with #4 or larger barrels got these small forearms on them to solve the issue of forearms being to large on very large diameter barrels.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint