Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) simple repair cost ,does this seem excessive? (Read 3268 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: simple repair cost ,does this seem excessive?
Reply #15 - Sep 9th, 2022 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
The 441/2 is one of the simplest actions for one to personally work on. 
If CPA has the parts one could actually do the work very easily by themselves.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: simple repair cost ,does this seem excessive?les
Reply #16 - Sep 10th, 2022 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
Recent home repair service charges,  plumber pest control air conditioner service all about 125 per hour, all include the technician his truck and tools. Parts extra. Fixed shop cost as much or more than a truck.

More to the cost of gun repair, sending a Beretta 391 sporting gas shotgun to Coles in Maine for a few things. 25 year old target gun heavy use. Used it’s worth more than a new one, worth spending. They are the best with these guns work will be done right.

Price list is, bench work gunsmith 175 hour , bench with machine work 200 hour. Basic cleaning 150 no repairs. Cleaning with repairs 200 plus parts. Coles does take it apart and reassemble with one charge although his total  price if needing repair is almost the same as your bill.

Good work not cheap.

Boats
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2022 at 9:26pm by boats »  

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Sep 10th, 2022 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
I have been making a living by gun smithing for the last 24 years. When I started my wife was an RN so I didn't have to charge very much. We had to move a while back because my wife can no longer work and we could not afford to stay where we were ( also wanted to get back to a red state). The new shop building cost $44,000, and then I had to finish the inside and the electric. The shop has enough machines to do quite a few things, including rifle a barrel. The shop rate is $150 per hour but I very seldom charge that much. When I worked as a mechanic I was making $15 an hour and the shop rate was $30. I took my car in to a shop a few weeks back and the shop rate was close to $300 an hour., I have the same tools as they do plus a bunch of machinery, I should raise my rates.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Sep 11th, 2022 at 6:15am
Print Post  
John - you driving a Mercedes?   Cool

<div class=

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Sep 11th, 2022 at 10:42am
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Sep 11th, 2022 at 6:15am:
John - you driving a Mercedes?   Cool

Kia soul. Up to a few years ago I did all my own work on cars. The sticker shock of having it done in a car dealer shop hurt. When I drove a 1952 Chevy pick-up I did all my own repairs and kept it running for over 20 years, 5 engines, 3 trans missions, two rear ends and one frame . When I bought it for $10 it had a rod sticking through the oil pan. My step-son has it now but I don't think he drives it much. It had 500,000 miles on it when I gave it to him.
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2022 at 10:49am by John Taylor »  

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Sep 11th, 2022 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Wow - that rate for what has to be termed an "economy car".

<div class=

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #21 - Sep 12th, 2022 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
And they wonder why I drive a 20 year old Saab and effect my own repairs. Ditto the 52 year old MG "Sunday go to meeting car".

As for shop work on guns, I'm also glad that there's not much beyond my capabilities and equipment. But I'm self taught on the lathe and there's stuff I can't do. When it comes down to paying shop rates for work I have to think long and hard, and decide how long I can go on beans and hot dogs - stuff's going up at a much faster rate than my retirement income is. It would seem that a fair number of older folks like myself are getting priced out of the game, just when we finally have the time to enjoy it.

IP Logged

50target

Reply #22 - Sep 13th, 2022 at 8:46am
Print Post  
I worked in the finanIcial services industry from 1968 to 2022. My passion was for law enforcement but as I studied on my observation that every first responder I knew had his regular job plus 2-3 side jobs to make ends meet I realized my passion had to take a back seat to family.. if you consider the money tied up in tools and equipment we would be amazed at how low their return is on several business benchmarks, Return on Assets, Return on Equity, etc. It isn't good enough to be attractive. I can't do a lot of things and I've learned that at much expense.
I find the best people that can do what I need. Lesson learned is that when I get a first class job I will never think about the money and if I get a less than first class job I don't think about anything but the money.
I have used two folks highly recommended here, John Taylor and Lee Shaver. When I take that gun to the range I marvel at the finished product and I have such enjoyment. Money is gone but joy is daily when I hold or shoot it. A big Thank You to both for staying with your passion.

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Sep 14th, 2022 at 8:23am
Print Post  
an old saying.  the sweetness of cheap is soon diminished by the taste of poor quality   art

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Sep 14th, 2022 at 10:38am
Print Post  
“I have never had the nerve to charge the time such a job cost.  The result is that when a job took me 20 hours and looked like 2, I have charged about 5 hours and have only received a quarter pay for the job.  To most people it looks like extortion, and yet it has kept me from developing my regular work which is my business.  Repairing is NOT my business...”

Harry Pope, in a letter to a customer on gun repair work.

Obviously, the repair shop above has a “Business Model” that ensures Harry’s problems are not theirs.  I try to do as much of the work as possible on the guns I have, and if I charged twice the above prices to do it for someone else, I’d starve to death in two weeks.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Sep 14th, 2022 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
I started a response to your question it got lengthy, here's a somewhat shorter version...
When my children were small, (they're in their thirties now) I thought the world of gunsmithing would be a good supplement to our income, was I wrong.   
The revenue for the hours I put in didn't come close to the rate at which my current employer paid me for regular time let alone the OT- which this was.   I fully understood the machining end of things as it was similar to the work I was doing everyday, how do the gunsmiths do this faster than I?  Time is money.  A little slow but I figured it out, they weren't.  Clients weren't going to pay me anymore no matter how good I was.  I quit doing this as a side line for about 10 years just to purge the system - personal projects included...  I say no to anyone that even asks now.

Your bill? if the work is quality, they really know and understand what they are doing, it's how they make their living?   

It's a pittance compared to similar crafts/industry.  The market I'm in, those of us willing to work in the trades, get our hands dirty, make our backs, knees, feet hurt at the end of the day... is rapidly diminishing, I charge what my conscience allows and I sleep well. .   

I'm on an advisory board for two different trade schools and the number of interested candidates is on a downward spiral.   

A little story before I go back to work, this happened after I quit all gunwork - there was an individual I did a lot of farm equipment repair on the side and this was traded for access to a prime hunt area - that pulled at him almost as much me doing the work- he wasn't fond of having anyone on his property so there was a bit of an impasse.  He once brought me a high end vintage shotgun and told me to fix it, loose rib, fail to fire, difficulty extracting, a couple other small issues, I really didn't want to do it but I eventually got around to it and the end product really turned out nice.  Up front I had explained that this would come at a cost that exceeded our trading there'd be $$ required.  This old gentlemen was a bit of a skin flint so I figured we'd be at odds when all was said and done.   
I presented him with the final bill for my efforts, didn't include a price, just a comment, "pay me what you feel this was worth and I'll determine whether or not I'll do any work for you in the future".  Needless to say, up until he passed, he's the only individual I ever did gun work for work for.

My 2¢

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Sep 14th, 2022 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
A fellow gun smith told me about a customer complaining about his bill, so he lowered the amount. Then he told the customer to never come back in his shop.
I have had two customers accuse me of steeling parts and replacing them with used parts. First one had me re-barrel a model 700 Rem. and said I switch actions. It was the only 700 I had in the shop in over 4 months. He is no longer a customer. Second one brought in an 1892 basket case and asked me to put it together. It had been stored with a friend of his for several years. When he picked it up he accused me of switching the bolt, told me he had a new bolt. I put the parts together he brought in and I told him he should check out his friend. I can't see how someone would think I could be making money by switching parts. I work on quite a few high end collector guns and if I got the reputation for switching parts I would not have the business I have.

IP Logged

GunBum

Reply #27 - Sep 16th, 2022 at 3:54am
Print Post  
I don’t do gun work for other people.  But if I did, I’d charge a rate similar to what we get for consulting.  We get $200/hr plus travel expenses to tell people what they already know.  After paying liability insurance, taxes, overhead costs, etc…. I get to put about $100/hr in my pocket.  Billing rate and what you make are not the same thing.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #28 - Sep 17th, 2022 at 11:06am
Print Post  
I have a couple friends who are both retired machinists, and one of them was a tool & die maker his last 30 years working. They always built guns for themselves and friends while working, but said they couldn't ever make a living doing it as their sole source of income.
Both of these guys are as busy as they want to be now, and pick and choose who and what they want to do work for. Both in their 80's and still in the shop every day doing what they love. But doing things because they like it, surely not because it pays well.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Sep 17th, 2022 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
Both in their 80's and still in the shop every day doing what they love. But doing things because they like it, surely not because it pays well.

Lucky guys! I loved my job at Winchester, everyday was fun. The pay hardly mattered, I'd have worked there for free.

This is not a poor man's sport, and quality work is hard to find at any price. 

You get what you pay for, but only if you're lucky.

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint