Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) It is a good day to be alive... (Read 2653 times)
ISS
Oldtimer

It is a good day to be alive...
Sep 2nd, 2022 at 1:26am
Print Post  
This spring I bought a Wickliffe SS here in 45-120.  Pretty inexpensive.

I shipped it over to Oregon to JES Reboring to be bored to .50 caliber, and chambered in 50-140-3 1/4" Sharps cartridge.

I got a call from Jess Thursday.  He had never seen one before, and was unsure not about how to take it apart, no issues there, but to put it back together.  He was going to check with a gunsmith friend, and get back with me.

The good news; he called me back Friday afternoon.  He got it figured out, and apart.  By next Thursday it will bored to .502" and .512" with a 1:18" twist and chambered for the 140.  And, on its' way back to Idaho.

Monday my Mi-Hec 2 cavity HP/SP 497gr/525gr brass mold came.  All the way from Slovenia in five days from order.

In two weeks I will probably be scheduling Rotator Cuff surgery at the VA.  In the old days I would have tried to match .500 Nitro Express 3" case velocities (2100fps with a 570 gr soft/solid).  I still have a couple boxes of Woodleighs left.

take care gentlemen,

Rich

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

axman
Participating Member

Re: It is a good day to be alive...
Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2022 at 9:39am
Print Post  
Fast turn around, keep us informed on the work.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2022 at 9:48am
Print Post  
Can't imagine shooting a .50-140 after rotator cup surgery? It would be brutal with a good shoulder, let alone a repaired one! Hope the surgery goes well, and the shoulder holds up to this cartridge, and load!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

ISS
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2022 at 5:07am
Print Post  
I meant firing would probably lead to the indicated surgery...

Rich

Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2022 at 9:38am
Print Post  
I'll bet firing this won't lead to rotator cuff surgery, but I'm thinking detached retina, eventually a couple of fused vertebra in your neck and repetitive gunshot recoil can impose neurometabolic change resulting in concussion like symptoms or traumatic brain injury (TBI).  Grin Cheesy 
I use this last one as an excuse for my shooting behavior and gun buying fetish. Wink   I blame it on the .577, the 4 bore, and the .700 nitro - once.  So... Welcome.
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2022 at 11:38am
Print Post  
I've been working up BP and smokeless loads for my Freund Sharps in .50-140 using Swiss 1 1/2, and amaranth seed as a filler. So far early testing has shown my loads are actually a bit too mild in my 16 lb. rifle. I'm at 75 grs. of Swiss, and the filler, with a 425 gr. bullet currently. I plan to load the next batch at 90 grs., and of course less filler to test accuracy, and recoil. Expect it to still be very tolerable, but hoping groups will be tighter with a larger charge.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Nov 16th, 2022 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
I once shot a pretty light-weight .458 using a factory load. I hope you both get snot and blood on your stock like I did. Great fun= one time.

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Nov 16th, 2022 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
I've seen cumulative effects leading to brain maladies in a couple guys from shooting trap loads week in and week out. It's a real thing. My orthopedic guy told me the scoliosis in my neck certainly wasn't helped by years of skeet/trap shooting - and those loads don't compare to the nasty stuff being discussed here!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #8 - Nov 16th, 2022 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
Anything in either of these cartridges can hurt the shooter in full loads. But just like any big cartridge, reloaders have ways to tame these things by loading smaller charges, and lighter bullets. Yes, you could simply chamber a gun in a less abusive cartridge, but we don't always have those options when buying used firearms. If you love everything about a particular gun, except the chambering, it isn't the end of the world.
I bought a Ruger #1 Tropical in .458 Win Mag too, and bought some factory ammo to get the brass. I fired a round, and went home and pulled all the bullets, and reloaded the brass to .45-70 specs, with a 405 gr. bullet, and never shot another factory load in it.
I'd think this group (who almost all reload) would figure out how to tame a big boomer when making up ammo, and not end up abusing their bodies with hot rounds.

IP Logged

moodyholler
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Nov 16th, 2022 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
Something to think about, when I had my first brain bleed I was shooting a 450 nitro Westley Richard's Deeley and Edge action weighed 7 lbs with 140 grains FG and 550 grain bullet, a 7 gauge mmuzzleloader weighed 7 lbs with 200 grains FG and 200 grains shot, and an Alfred Lancaster 500 3 inch double that regulated 440 Woodlieghs at 2400 fps. Weighed 12lbs. Paraplegic, blind, and couldn't talk for 11 days after bleed. 16 surgeries later I'm only shooting 32-40 and down.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

oldman46
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Nov 17th, 2022 at 12:44am
Print Post  
I have a Ruger #1 in 45/70 and loaded some warm loads with the 405 grain jacketed bullet. That mild mannered rifle became a bucking bronco. Never did fire off the rest of my ammo. Came home and disassembled them and back to trapdoor levels. Frank

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Nov 17th, 2022 at 8:54am
Print Post  
Guns and rounds such as this weren't made for a 40 round match. I have a friend who waited three years for a long range express Shiloh in 45-120. By the time it arrived he had all the fixins for about 60 rounds. He loaded them with 2F and 405 grain bullets. He shot it in one match. We all shot it that day. Beautiful gun and accurate too. About a year later it reappeared as a 45-70. He had sent it back to Shiloh for a rebarrel. Anyone need a slightly used Shiloh 45-120 barrel...?

JMH

IP Logged

ISS
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Nov 17th, 2022 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
Kirk at Shiloh Rifle told me one year at Quigley that about 2/3rds of the 45-120's and about 3/4ths of the 50-140's they sold came back within a year to be rebarreled.

I had a Shiloh rebarreled from 40-65 to the WCF 38-72.  That year at Quigley I got squadded between my brother's 50-90 and a guy from Watertown with a 10 1/2 pound 50-140.  Concussive Blast pretty much described the experience.

I expect to start my 50-140 loading experience at about 100gr of 1F.

Rich

* no smiley faces here, it was not remotely hunorous.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #13 - Nov 18th, 2022 at 11:04am
Print Post  
ISS wrote on Nov 17th, 2022 at 11:33pm:
Kirk at Shiloh Rifle told me one year at Quigley that about 2/3rds of the 45-120's and about 3/4ths of the 50-140's they sold came back within a year to be rebarreled.

I had a Shiloh rebarreled from 40-65 to the WCF 38-72.  That year at Quigley I got squadded between my brother's 50-90 and a guy from Watertown with a 10 1/2 pound 50-140.  Concussive Blast pretty much described the experience.

I expect to start my 50-140 loading experience at about 100gr of 1F.

Rich

* no smiley faces here, it was not remotely hunorous.

I didn't know Shiloh had ever offered a Sharps in .50-140?

What do you plan to do with the air gap between powder and bullet using 100 grs. of 1f?

IP Logged

Grumpy gumpy

Reply #14 - Nov 19th, 2022 at 12:05am
Print Post  
I’ve got a 458win mag and shoot coated 560gn hard cast at 2200 fps, recoil could explain a lot about me......(those who know me will get it)  Cheesy
I may be odd, but I’m not sure about 50/140......
Gumpy

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #15 - Nov 19th, 2022 at 2:03am
Print Post  
I have a Win 458 also.  Have shot it with factory 500 grain full metal jacketed bullets. The rifle has a White Line recoil pad and a long pull so you don't get your thumb stuck in your eye.   Built it for my dad about 1984. It has a total of forty rounds through it. I'd post a picture but it's not a single shot.   

Real handy here if I get any Elefinks trampling the garden.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Grumpy gumpy

Reply #16 - Nov 19th, 2022 at 2:54am
Print Post  
I built mine from various bits, also a bolt gun, though I did use it as a single shot with black powder, so that may count....
Mine was to deter elefinks too, since I’ve had it there haven’t been any here.
Gumpy 

Should add, I want to see this thing(50-140) go bang....

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #17 - Nov 19th, 2022 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Here's an example of the .50-140 in full BP loads. I watched this when I got mine, and immediately knew reduced loads were in my future.

IP Logged

Grumpy gumpy

Reply #18 - Nov 19th, 2022 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Nov 19th, 2022 at 11:17am:
Here's an example of the .50-140 in full BP loads. I watched this when I got mine, and immediately knew reduced loads were in my future.

That hurt my shoulder just watching it 
Gumpy

IP Logged

ISS
Oldtimer

Reply #19 - Nov 19th, 2022 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
50-110's are pretty neat.  I have a double SxS rifle in that chambering.  Great stinky fun with 110gr of 2F and a 570gr RFN from the same mold I used for my old 500 NE 3".

I will have my nephew make a video when I shoot the 50-140 in the Wickliffe.  Monday I go to the eye surgeon to find out how long I have to wait.  I'll hold off the smokeless HV loads for awhile.

Rich

Smiley
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2022 at 12:54am by ISS »  

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #20 - Nov 19th, 2022 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Grumpy gumpy wrote on Nov 19th, 2022 at 2:54am:
I built mine from various bits, also a bolt gun, though I did use it as a single shot with black powder, so that may count....
Mine was to deter elefinks too, since I’ve had it there haven’t been any here.
Gumpy 

Should add, I want to see this thing(50-140) go bang....

Show me yours and I'll show you mine.  In a PM of course.  Smiley

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Nov 19th, 2022 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Show me yours and I'll show you mine.  In a PM of course.   

short barrel I guess

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

Grumpy gumpy

Reply #22 - Nov 19th, 2022 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
Rebel wrote on Nov 19th, 2022 at 9:08pm:
Show me yours and I'll show you mine.  In a PM of course.  

short barrel I guess

Jealous...... Cheesy

Gumpy

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #23 - Nov 22nd, 2022 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
In the late sixties I had a prewar mod 70 magnum action and chambered it in .458 Win. With a twenty inch bbl. It was going to be a back up rifle for bear hunting in Alaska (another story) it had a ramp front and Redfield rear and weighed in the neighborhood of 7.5-8 pounds I decided it needed more oomph so Keith Francis ground a .450 Ackley reamer for me as I had a couple of hundred Norma cylindrical brass with .300 H&H head size and old man Barnes made a bunch of .600 gn spitzer bullets for it...it was lights out for elk. But wound up shooting jack rabbits with it using 500 gn lead bullets at around 2200 FPS..surprisingly it would skin out a Jack reabbit with that load. As I recall recoil was not too bad Wish I still had that rifle.
Cheers Richard

IP Logged

ISS
Oldtimer

Reply #24 - Nov 23rd, 2022 at 12:57am
Print Post  
As soon as I get some 50-caliber bullets to load.  My nephew is dying to film me shooting the monster...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint