Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Berg Ballard (Read 7589 times)
yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Re: Berg Ballard
Reply #30 - Feb 23rd, 2022 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
You rarely see a European target rifle with a palm rest, some Swiss rifles had a extension on the lever. Most German Schuetzen rifles have a lighter barrel, that moves the balance point closer to the action. Before the photos start popping up, I said most and rarely not all. That being said I have a Franz Sodia schuetzen made in Austria with a barrel that measures 1 inch at muzzle.
Mike

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #31 - Feb 23rd, 2022 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
I've got a Swiss percussion rifle that weighs 17 pounds. Has a palm rest. Many German and Swiss percussion rifles had palm rests. The German breechloader seldom.
Maybe the Berg Ballards were made and used when portable clamp on palm rests were popular ?  Which leads me to ask, were clamp on palm rests used regionally? Wisconsin? Iowa?
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2022 at 7:16pm by westerner »  

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

wcf3840
Senior Forum Member

ASSRA Life #299

Reply #32 - Feb 23rd, 2022 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
My Stevens Pope Berg has a palm rest. It looks like the clamp on one. I'll try to get some pictures.

GTalk  
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #33 - Feb 23rd, 2022 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
MrTipUp wrote on Feb 23rd, 2022 at 4:09pm:
I wonder why so few palm rests on Berg rifles?

Perhaps because from what I've seen, off-hand match shooters in Germany didn't seem to use them much.

Bill Lawrence

Berg rifles were made in America when palm rests were popular.
If you're suggesting it was a carry over from the old country...  Undecided

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #34 - Feb 23rd, 2022 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
Looks like several rifles had the clamp on rests in this picture.

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #35 - Feb 23rd, 2022 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
If you're suggesting it was a carry over from the old country . . .

That's exactly what I'm suggesting.  Indeed, if you trace the history of Germans communities in America, one of the things that stands out is how long and tightly they held on to Old Country ways - spoken German; newspapers, bibles, and so forth printed in German; etc., etc., and etc..  Parts of Pennsylvania, for example, are rife with such examples.  Even here in southern Indiana, the town of Jasper only turned away from English as a second language in the schools when anti-German sentiments became rampant during WWI.  Yet even today, those traditions linger there. The financial cornerstone of Jasper, with branches throughout the area (including my town) still proudly carries the name "German American Bank".

Bill Lawrence
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2022 at 8:43pm by MrTipUp »  

IP Logged

TRowe

Reply #36 - Feb 23rd, 2022 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
I have seen a great number of both European and American Schuetzen rifles. In the American rifles, especially in the percussion era I start to see regional styles developing. When one knows what to look for a NYC rifle or a California rifle is easily identifiable. It seems that clamp on palm rests were most popular in the Mid-west (corn country) but they also a fair amount of use by Eastern shooters in the NY/ Philadelphia area. I have observed several percussion rifles with them including Shalcks. Also a few cartridge rifles. Gute used one.  I don't remember seeing them on West coast rifles, but there's a lot I don't remember. You almost never see a German Schuetzen cartridge rifle with a palm rest. I don't think they were allowed.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #37 - Feb 23rd, 2022 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
MrTipUp wrote on Feb 23rd, 2022 at 7:55pm:
If you're suggesting it was a carry over from the old country . . .

That's exactly what I'm suggesting.  Indeed, if you trace the history of Germans communities in America, one of the things that stands out is how long and tightly they held on to Old Country ways - spoken German; newspapers, bibles, and so forth printed in German; etc., etc., and etc..  Parts of Pennsylvania, for example, are redolent with such examples.  Even here in southern Indiana, the town of Jasper only turned away from English as a second language in the schools when anti-German sentiments became rampant during WWI.  Yet even today, those traditions linger there. The financial cornerstone of Jasper, with branches throughout the area (including my town) still proudly carries the name "German American Bank".

Bill Lawrence

You may be correct, Bill. Maybe the detachable palm rests came in after Berg rifles were made. Fads can appear quickly and fade just as fast.   
I have a Schalk rifle without the palm rest. I could never shoot it OH well as there is no forestock. Just a brass cover for the wiping rod. I do okay with my Berg Ballard but at 15 1/2 pounds it's a chore to hold with the thumb and fingers.

IP Logged

TRowe

Reply #38 - Feb 23rd, 2022 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Late Schalk rifles were designed to use clamp on palm rests. When I get some time I will post some photos of them. The clamp on palm rest was the final style used on NY City Schuetzens.

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Mar 6th, 2022 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
news paper Ad I had

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #40 - Mar 6th, 2022 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Pictured here is Emil Berg, son of Henry Berg. At the time this photograph was taken, gunsmith Henry Berg was a firearms dealer with a store located on the northeast corner of Third and Harrison streets. In 1888, Emil was taken on as a partner and the name of the business changed to H. Berg & Son.

Many considered Emil Berg to be one of the top two marksmen at 200 yards in the entire country. It was stated that when Emil was but ten years old, he could snap a candle at ten paces with the best of them!

In this photograph, Emil is wearing his shooting medals and standing next to the target showing the results of his recent match. On Sunday, February 26, 1882, Emil competed against M. Grau of Chicago, considered the best in the country, if not the world. The rifle match was held in Dubuque - the target was a 12 inch bull's eye, with 3/4 inch rings. The grounds were crowded with spectators and the excitement ran high. The only calm ones were the contestants themselves. The match commenced on Sunday forenoon, but was adjourned in the afternoon on account of fog! At that time, Berg was 35 points ahead, and the betting odds were largely in his favor. The contest consisted of 50 shots each, at 200 yards, off hand. Grau and Berg each put up $100. Unfortunately, the tables were turned on Monday when the match resumed and Grau came out the victor by six points. The total score was Grau 1,070; Berg 1,064, and Grau retained his title of "Champion of the West."
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2022 at 7:51pm by Schutzenbob »  

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - Mar 7th, 2022 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Very Nice Medal and Picture. Thanks for sharing

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #42 - Mar 7th, 2022 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Yes indeed and thank you so very much for taking the time to share it with all of us!

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #43 - Mar 9th, 2022 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
Don't believe I've ever seen a Berg mark on a rifle. I wonder what it looked like.

IP Logged

wcf3840
Senior Forum Member

ASSRA Life #299

Reply #44 - Mar 11th, 2022 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Here's a picture of the barrel markings on my 38-50 Berg.

GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint