Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Berg Ballard (Read 7584 times)
TRowe

Berg Ballard
Feb 10th, 2022 at 10:43am
Print Post  
While this rifle is unmarked it probably is by Burg but there were several other Mid-West gunsmiths that were converting rifles to this pattern. Note how the bottom of the butt stock is cut away and the clamp on palm rest. The heavy up-swept butt plate is typical of these rifles. The forearm is cut in half to allow it to be removed. The action is nickel plated which is uncommon in Ballards. Caliber is .38-55 and never has been tapped for scope blocks.

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Re: Berg Ballard
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2022 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
Neat! I have never noticed, before seeing this photo, is the wood extension for about an inch following the pistol grip line of the frame. I assume that is what you are calling the cut away portion of the stock. I wonder if Berg did this often as I don’t recall seeing it before.

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

TRowe

Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2022 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
The whole underside of the butt stock has been cut away. I have seen about a small handful of Berg or similar Mid-west rifles so am not able to give an opinion. Somebody, Berg?, did a fair amount of work on this rifle. The attached photo shows a group of Davenport riflemen. I don't know if you can pick up the detail but you can in a hi-res photo but a lot of the rifles shown are similar to this one. It is surprising how little attention smiths such as Murnier, Berg, Bremer and others have received so little attention from collectors.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2022 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
what purpose does the cutaway serve? I wouldn't question it on a single rifle, since we all have our quirks and preferences. But, on a whole group there must be something that was apparent to them- why not others? Mystery waiting for somebody from this board to explain. Please Huh

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2022 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
I've always had trouble deciphering the ledger for that picture.  Sad

I may own the rifle that the man on the far right sitting is holding.  Looks exactly like my rifle and my rifle has compression marks on the edge of the forestock where a palm rest was attached. 
Pure conjecture on my part.

I don't see any rifles with cuttaway stocks in the photo.
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2022 at 5:32pm by westerner »  

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

TRowe

Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2022 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
I have not seen the stock cutaway before but it doesn't look like a basement gunsmith did it, it is well done. I wonder how many of these rifles in this photo survive. Target rifles, normally exhibiting quality, normally have a high survival rate. But then, how many made it to the next venue, position target rifles and the Schuetzen stocks were thrown away. We can easily see from this photo why we are finding so few original Ballards.

IP Logged

oodmoff
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Feb 11th, 2022 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
That photo currently resides in my office (present caretaker) along with a few other originals and facsimiles.  Btw the ones I have saved from the internet over the years are never given out or sold just repro'd one time put in a cheap frame for my enjoyment.  

I've seen the berg buttplates but have never seen the material taken from the buttstock like that before.  Tom, in regard to those 'upper midwest' style palm rests...were those more of a Meunier or Berg creation?

If you referring the gentlemen on the far right... appears to read B. L. Schmidt 

« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2022 at 9:31pm by oodmoff »  

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #7 - Feb 11th, 2022 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
I was referring to the man at far right, sitting.   
J M Killian?

IP Logged

oodmoff
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Feb 11th, 2022 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
Yep I overlooked the word 'sitting'.... and you are correct....btw thanks.. I get to spin my chair around at work and after a few minutes my stress level goes down a few notches..
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2022 at 8:57pm by oodmoff »  

IP Logged

TRowe

Reply #9 - Feb 12th, 2022 at 11:15am
Print Post  
The photos you have blow me away. I am now doing the final touch up and proof reader corrections to the Stevens Pope books. Incredible how many stupid mistakes I can make, and without even trying! Next I am going to be working on Jersey City. Due to lay-out constraints I run into blank pages that I like to fill with photos and other graphics. What are the possibilities of using some of yours? Could I get them on hi-res scans?

IP Logged

oodmoff
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Feb 12th, 2022 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
Appreciate it Tom, I think Ron Paxton has photographed several of them (i know they come from so many sources it hard to keep track of).   Maybe we see a few of those images in the upcoming Stevens and Pope books.  

BTW What is the eta for issue(s) to the general public?  

I like many of us wait with baited breath for there release.   

Have really appreciated your recent steady release of photos to this forum.   Have kept a towel at my computer just to wipe up the drool!

IP Logged

wcf3840
Senior Forum Member

ASSRA Life #299

Reply #11 - Feb 12th, 2022 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Here are pictures of the two Bergs I have. One is a 38-50 and the other is a 32-40 with a Stevens Pope barrel.

GTalk  
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #12 - Feb 12th, 2022 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
I only have one Berg Rifle but it's a nice one. Unsigned.  I bought it from a friend who got it from a collector in Idaho many years ago. One of Frank Bergs sons rifles? 
32-40 and very accurate. I won the Burch McCoy match with it at Etna Green about 2000. Throated for the Hudson bullet and I have the mold for it. 

The rifling profile is Schoyen / Peterson style.

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Feb 12th, 2022 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
That is a nice one Joe, thanks for sharing

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #14 - Feb 13th, 2022 at 12:45am
Print Post  
I know of two other Berg rifle owners.  Won't mention their names but maybe they'll see this thread and share theirs. Hoping.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint