Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hairtrigger#22. Rem.Hep. .22 L.R. Schuetzen (Read 1194 times)
hairtrigger
Participating Member

Hairtrigger#22. Rem.Hep. .22 L.R. Schuetzen
Feb 7th, 2022 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
   I’ve been told by a couple of my associates that they thought this rifle is the best one I’ve ever done (& they both offered to buy it too!). Maybe they are right.
    The idea of doing a Rem.- Hep. Schuetzen must have first occurred to me around 1980 but didn’t get it completed until circa 2003-5 . Accumulating all the components was a slow process! I first laid back a nice clean D.S. Trigger Action w/about 75% faded orig. case colors which is my preference! By 1990 I had mocked up a “pattern” buttstock to be duplicated when I found the right stock blank. After a few more years searching I finally settled on this wood. It was a medium grade of very old Bastogne walnut that had what I wanted in the grain layout that looked like it was grown w/a Rem.-Hep. in mind!
    Next the decision was made for a .22 l.r. When I found a sound orig. (but shot out bore) Rem. Bbl.28” full oct. that would host the liner that I turned down from a 28”+Czech CZ pull-off bbl., that w/a match chamber that was then fitted up to my action.
     I nearly required a blood transfusion after finding and purchasing a never used Lyman No 47 windage adjustable tang sight w/a Rem. base, which was the “right” sight for this rifle.
     The woodwork all went well, w/the inletting probably the best I ever achieved & the checkering by Doug Mann complimented this one nicely too. 
     High Praise? I’ve yet to bring this rifle out to a match where @ least one guy who had never seen it before didn’t find a quiet moment to corner me & ask me if it might be for sale!
     How does it shoot? Well if I can shoot .040 groups @ 50’ off the bench shouldn’t I be able to interpolate that to 5 shot 1/4” groups @ 100 yds. ? Some one explain that to me. After all we know it can’t be me.

IP Logged

fallingblock
ASSRA Board Member

Re: Hairtrigger#22. Rem.Hep. .22 L.R. Schuetzen
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2022 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
Dennis,
This rile is just gorgeous! 
Cheers,
Laurie

Cheers,
Laurie
ASSRA Secretary & Archivist

IP Logged

Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2022 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
The stockwork on this rifle is exceptional. I especially like the quarter moon panels in front of the action and the elongated half moon panels behind the action. Doug Mann's checkering completes the stocks. I like that you can clearly see the mineral lines of the wood through the checkering.

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2022 at 7:43am
Print Post  
Absolutely beautiful!

IP Logged

r3727
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2022 at 8:16am
Print Post  
Very Nice

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2022 at 10:31am
Print Post  
that's a doozy. thanks for letting us take a peek at all of these rifles.

IP Logged

watchthewind
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2022 at 11:42am
Print Post  
hairtrigger wrote on Feb 7th, 2022 at 6:10pm:

How does it shoot? Well if I can shoot .040 groups @ 50’ off the bench shouldn’t I be able to interpolate that to 5 shot 1/4” groups @ 100 yds. ? Some one explain that to me. After all we know it can’t be me.

The first thing that comes to mind is that the bullet is exposed to more variables such as condition/wind changes.   

ASSRA Member # 11408

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 8th, 2022 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
I do like that rifle, especially since it can be shot right handed!! Thanks for sharing, Missed you Sunday.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Feb 8th, 2022 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
For those who might not know Dennis is an Icon when it comes to single shots rifles.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint