Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) DZ Hepburn teaser (Read 3026 times)
Gard72977

DZ Hepburn teaser
Jan 9th, 2022 at 1:06am
Print Post  
Got a couple of pics from Dan. I cant wait to see it after checkering and the finish added. I really like the heavy ink lines going through the panels into the reciever.

« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2022 at 1:25am by Gard72977 »  

IP Logged

Gard72977

Re: DZ Hepburn teaser
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2022 at 1:07am
Print Post  
Next

IP Logged

4570mike
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2022 at 8:33am
Print Post  
Now that’s impressive wood!  Is it English Walnut?  Those photos are really teasers.  What caliber?
Dan completed two Hepburns for me.  The first in 40-65 was so nice, I went back a few years later and had a twin made up in 38-55.  I don’t know who does their checkering, but it’s outstanding, like the rest of the rifle.
If I recall, his wait time is about five months so hopefully yours will be ready for spring.
Post some photos when completed.
Enjoy!
Mike.

IP Logged

Gard72977

Reply #3 - Jan 9th, 2022 at 9:11am
Print Post  
This will be a 22lr sillhouette rifle with DZ scope

IP Logged

4570mike
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Jan 9th, 2022 at 10:48am
Print Post  
I have a DZ Arms scope as well. Very good quality. I shoot the Hepburn's with peeps; the scope goes on a .22 RF, CPA Stevens for silhouettes.

IP Logged

Gard72977

Reply #5 - Jan 9th, 2022 at 10:57am
Print Post  
I have an original single trigger that im going to have rebarrelled to 22lr for sights.

I love Hepburns!

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jan 11th, 2022 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
The thing I liked the best about my DZ Arms 22LR Hepburn is Dan cleverly designed the block so it "springs" back to a position after extraction that the top of the block is exactly where it needs to be to act as a 'loading ramp' for the next round. Just lay the round on the top of the block, which is machined just the right amount for the round to roll to the center and push into the chamber. The top/front edge of the block is also beveled to give just enough camming action on closing to force the bullet into match chamber. Hope you went with a Shilen 'ratchet-rifled' barrel. They are great shooters.

Another hint.............. get a small hand-held case ejector. I do not have large hands and getting the spent case out of the tight match chamber with my fingers was difficult. Here is a pic of what I use.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels

IP Logged

Lead Pot

Reply #7 - Jan 11th, 2022 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
I just picked up my Hep a week ago and I saw that wood hanging on the wall. Very nice!! I almost asked Dan if he would swap Cheesy

The checkering is top notch as well as the Case.
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2022 at 7:05pm by Lead Pot »  

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jan 12th, 2022 at 7:48am
Print Post  
Nice looking Hepburns. Does DZ do their own case color. I really like it.

IP Logged

Lead Pot

Reply #9 - Jan 12th, 2022 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Old Win.

I don't know. Dan said but my hearing is so bad I didn't catch all what he said.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jan 12th, 2022 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Beautiful Rifle!
Here is another nice tool for removing Rimfire cases. And almost an impossible task when shooting my HiWall.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Gard72977

Reply #11 - Jan 12th, 2022 at 11:58am
Print Post  
Lead Pot- Thats a beatiful rifle. Post a pic of the whole gun and give some details.

Wyoming Armory is doing the color case hardening. 

My 22lr barrel will be Bartlein.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jan 12th, 2022 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
Gard72977 wrote on Jan 12th, 2022 at 11:58am:

Nice. Which profile did you go with?
My new 22LR barrel is also a Bartlein with 5R rifling. Is a full round Heavy Varmint. Hope to be shooting it by the Fall.

Don Faulkenberry used to do the wood on Dan's rifles. About 6 or 7yr ago he started having some eye problems and stopped doing checkering. I wonder if that isn't all behind him as he won the Stillwater, OK Thxgvg 22BPCR match shooting iron sights. 

The picture of the action from above does a good job of showing the bevel DanZ puts in the top of the block and on the front edge. Works very well and really speeds things along under the time constraints of a 22BPCR match.
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2022 at 12:55pm by SSShooter »  

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels

IP Logged

Lead Pot

Reply #13 - Jan 12th, 2022 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Gard72977 wrote on Jan 12th, 2022 at 11:58am:
Lead Pot- Thats a beatiful rifle. Post a pic of the whole gun and give some details.

Gard

It's hard to get the whole rifle in the frame.
This rifle has a 30" 1/2 round I think a GM #3 and the rifle came in at 10#4oz.
I had it chambered in the .38-50 Rem Hepburn.
I'm not too keen on the dark finish on the wood, I like the lighter wood but I like the rifle. 
The temperature was 30º so I took 53 rounds and shot them on my range that is only 135 yards but the cases loaded were just shot once with cornmeal blanks blowing the neck and shoulders out and reloaded with the old Goex Express 60 grains of 3F black powder with a PP bullet. 

After getting the scope on paper at 135 yards I shot the two paster. 8 on the small and around 30-33 on the large paster. It really shot very well for just blowing the cases out and trimmed and reloaded. If I would rate this rifle between 1 and 10 I would give it a 10 plus for it's first showing.

The cases were a tight fit, I sure could have used Glenns case seater I ordered from him Cheesy to get the breach closed on most of the rounds. I had to use a hand pusher for all but a couple. The head space for this Winchester brass might be a little snug but extracting the fired cases did not stick. I will measure the heads when I get the cases cleaned.

Gard, I will have Dan build a .22 when my coffee can gets resupplied with change Cheesy I like your wood when I saw it.

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Jan 12th, 2022 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Gard & Lead Pot,
Both of you have gorgeous rifles, different wood, but equally nice with their respective wood! I have used Wyoming Armory for color casing a number of Hepburn’s, Ballards and Marlins and all  were well done. I’m working on a Hepburn casting now (Upper Missouri Trading co.) and hope to have it done by spring and send it to Wyoming Armory. I am thinking DZ uses Turnbull for his color casing, seems like I had read that on his website.

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint