Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Larry Thompson (Read 2188 times)
4060may

Larry Thompson
Jul 19th, 2021 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
past Secretary of the ASSRA
passed Sat. July 17, 2021
picture and a poem when I can figure out how, .pdf file size too large

IP Logged

4060may

Re: Larry Thompson
Reply #1 - Jul 19th, 2021 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
picture

IP Logged

4060may

Reply #2 - Jul 19th, 2021 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
picture taken by Gary Marks in Larry's basement

IP Logged

Myers
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Jul 19th, 2021 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
Thank you for sharing. My Father shot with Larry back in the 1970's

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jul 19th, 2021 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Chuck, I didn’t know Larry but I have heard his name mentioned many, many times, he was a great asset to the ASSRA- he will be missed.  Ledball

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 19th, 2021 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Hey my friends with everyone continuing to pass away one might want to start thinking about life after Death? I know exactly where I will be going and only by the Grace of God and his Son and I would like to see you all there to be with me.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #6 - Jul 19th, 2021 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jul 19th, 2021 at 7:40pm:
Hey my friends with everyone continuing to pass away one might want to start thinking about life after Death? I know exactly where I will be going and only by the Grace of God and his Son and I would like to see you all there to be with me. 

Well said, DRIVE ON, John!

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

cleanprone
Participating Member

Reply #7 - Jul 20th, 2021 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
Thanks for posting that great picture of Larry with one of his poems.  Thanks to Larrys tool making abilities many an old slug gun was able to get back out to the range and a "fountain of knowledge" in all matters of historical target shooting.

IP Logged

cleanprone
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Jul 20th, 2021 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Calling hours 2:00-3:00 Saturday, July 21.  Stack Funeral Home, Salem, Ohio, across from St. Pauls.

IP Logged

John Rigby

Reply #9 - Jul 21st, 2021 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
JLouis, I'll help set up the range when we reach the other side!

John Rigby

IP Logged

mikeyfirelock
Participating Member

Reply #10 - Jul 23rd, 2021 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
I have good memories of Larry Thompson……..he was one of the members back in the 1970’s ( there were several) who was always willing to help, give advice, and encouragement to a neophyte shooter.   His friendly style of correcting, and educating, and encouraging will stay with me always.   A privilege to have known him.  We are diminished.
Mike Mullins

Too many rifles.....not enough money

IP Logged

burntwater
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Jul 24th, 2021 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
Though I never knew the man, his friends and fellow shooters have given us an account of how they knew him and how he left his tracks. Westerner has given a personal testament and I can only surmise this man was a true mentor and guide to many looking for directions in a sport that doesn’t easily or naturally reveal its secrets. In these days I feel sorry for those who cannot find or reach out to a mentor, such as this, close enough to show a neophyte the rules and path to this sport. This forum is full of mentors enough that only the blind cannot see them.  Those who are interested in the elegant art of single shot marksmanship but log lesser years on this planet need to jump aboard before this ship and its old crew sails off and dips below the horizon. Trust me ardent readers this is a game, a discipline and a walk down a path lined with truly historic characters and shooting accomplishments equal to any sport or discipline. In so many respects the Schuetzen game is like old wine, old cars etc. and worth the effort to enjoy and remain. 

Rick
« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2021 at 10:12pm by burntwater »  

IP Logged

Bull Schmitt
Participating Member

Reply #12 - Jul 25th, 2021 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Great guy!! He will be missed. Cry

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #13 - Jul 25th, 2021 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
While this thread is primarily a eulogy to Mr. Thompson, burntwater's post is also an eloquent appeal that I hope gets passed on, even as I'm sure Mr. Thompson would have approved of it.  Thank you!

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

22scope
Participating Member

Reply #14 - Jul 26th, 2021 at 9:54am
Print Post  
I had the pleasure of knowing Larry , and found him to be a fine man . I first met him when I took a rifle I had bought for $75 at a local farm auction to his home to find out more about it . It was a high wall Winchester . He told me some of the history of the gun , and as the barrel was bad offered to put on a new barrel that he had hanging on a rack in his basement shop . He charged me the grand sum of $100 to thread ,chamber it to 32 Thompson and fit it to the action . He also gave me a piece of tool steel with the part needed to make my trigger into a single set trigger traced onto it . Along with a piece of spring steel and loaned ,Me a 10-36 tap to thread the needed spring . I got it all made ,milled out the trigger and took the part back to Larry to get them heat treated . The trigger work perfect and I was simply amazed . A few years later he rebarreled a Ruger no3 for me ,and made me a mold . I told him over the phone one evening what dimensions I wanted in the mold . The next evening he called . He told me he didn't mine doing work for people , but he didn't like it to be laying around the shop after it was finished . He had made a cutting tool and finished the mold in one day . Like all of his work it was perfect . I won a pile of metals in the Coors matches back in the day with that gun and mold . One of my Nephews bought Larry's lathe,mill ,and tooling . I used the lathe this Spring to build a 3/4"tube scope . I Told MY nephew it would turn out great because Larry had made scopes with that lathe and it was well trained. It did indeed turn out well . Thank you Larry for all you did to help many of us . 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint