Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic I think this BRC barrel is gonna work. (Read 1480 times)
oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

I think this BRC barrel is gonna work.
Jul 12th, 2021 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Friday I made the first trip to the range with my original 44 1/2 with its new 32-20 BRC choked barrel. Just loaded up a few each of various bullets and various powders (some of which would probably not normally be considered for a 32-20) to get the new brass formed and get some general sight settings on the kind of weird Smith Enterprises tang sight (that's another story). This group was with an Accurate bullet and 5744 powder. I think that when I get around to serious testing that this barrel is going to be just fine (and may make me wish I had asked my smith to D&T it for a scope). That's a .49 group at 100 yards, by the way.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: I think this BRC barrel is gonna work.
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2021 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Is it a 32-20 CPA or just a 32-20 and either way what is the twist rate. It does appear that does indeed want to shoot and you can always D&T it for a scope. And what type of bullet, length and weight.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2021 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
It's a 32-20 Winchester and the twist is 1 in 16. The bullet weighs 125 grains and has a slightly longer flat nose. See Accurate 31-125M.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2021 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Thank you oneatatime your rifle is showing allot of promise right out of the gate and it would be interesting to see how it might do at 200yds.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Fritz
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jul 12th, 2021 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
Really appears to be shooting well.Also looking forward to your results at 200yds.

YIM  
IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 28th, 2021 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Got out to the range again with my third box of new brass just messing around with different loads of several powders that I had some surplus of but probably wouldn't use for serious shooting like 1680 and 5744 just to fire form the brass. My eyes were giving me fits with my usual small post and bead on the front and even a fine aperture so finally switched to a coarse aperture (old Lyman one that comes with a 17) and that seemed to help. This batch of new brass I did no prep to except prime and M die to necks. I was using a Saeco 322 (that's the mould number) which is a pretty normal 32-20 bullet but slightly heavier at 117 grains. This group is with 7.5 grains of 2400 and shows possibilities. I'm definitely going to put a scope on it in the future for load development.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint