Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) An acorn found (Read 2377 times)
oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

An acorn found
Jun 30th, 2021 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
My wife tells me that if I'm looking for something I have to pick things up and not just look. At an antique mall with time to kill this week I was going up and down the cases and aisles carefully (well, guy carefully) looking hoping to run across an old Ideal tool in a rusty tool pile mislabeled goat hoof trimmer or something when I finally picked something up. In an interesting looking booth I picked up a box to see what was under it and found the acorn. It was a boxed Ohaus 5-0-5 balance with all pieces there and wrapped nicely and not a mark on any of them - just like new! The price was $13. Oink!

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: An acorn found
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Congratulations!

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

jimmy
Senior Forum Member

Now available in Oklahoma.

Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 6:12am
Print Post  
Awesome! 

Oink?  LOL

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 8:54am
Print Post  
Nice acorn to find, and a very nice price too!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

kensmachine
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 9:28am
Print Post  
local old boy died that had a machine shop no one bought the work benches in the basement. So on the last day of the sale the gal running the sale asks me if I would like the 4 benches with all the  vises and what's left under them. we make a deal most likley for a couple 100 $ moving the benches I find a rusty long old scope I show the gal the scope she tells me you bought whats under and on the benches.  The benches where nice well made 8' long 3/8" steel tops heavy steel legs one nice 4" Wilton vise a couple of lesser vises. Frist day of the sale I find a small box for 4.50 open it and there is a nice Winchester tang sight and a beat up Hart wind gauge front sight.more than one Acorn there. ken

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
Sounds like you found the oak forest, Ken!

IP Logged

ballardhepburnmich
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #6 - Jul 2nd, 2021 at 1:21am
Print Post  
Evidently I need to become a squirrel because I never find any acorns.
Lee Gibbs pres.ASSRA

IP Logged

Hayface

Reply #7 - Jul 2nd, 2021 at 8:37am
Print Post  
I tried that and now folks say I'm even squirrelier than usual.  But, it made no difference.  I can still fall into a pail of jewels and come out with a cat turd.

It's a talent!

Hayface

IP Logged

kensmachine
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Jul 2nd, 2021 at 10:53am
Print Post  
this was quit a acorn  I get a call from  the local hw  store I have a 1895 schuetzen . I show up and look on the rack no 1895 I hunt Tom down and he tells me it's in the office and he gose and gets it what it is is a nice 1885 special sporting rifle 30" #2  barrel DS triggers very nice wood lots of finsh 60-70% gun and the price was one of those you piss your pants and cant get the Check book fast enought for. storie is GP dies leaves the gun  to the GS. GS tells GM to sell it and send him the $$ . Ken

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jul 2nd, 2021 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Once bought a wrongly listed 0441/2 28-30 Stevens Pope wood chuck rifle for a $100.00 and a buy it now on Gun Broker. Rifle was easily a 98% rifle and CColors, Stock and Bluing were all in outstanding shape when I finally received it. A gentleman on this site ended up buying it and he did a write up on it sometime back and it also had an original Stevens tang sight on it and a combination Beach's on the front.
The selling price I will not share in order to protect his privacy. 

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #10 - Jul 2nd, 2021 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
On one hand, timing is often everything.  On the other, even when I've not been a day late, I've still been a dollar short.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Jul 2nd, 2021 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
While stumbling around an old Mom&Pop hardware store a few years ago I noticed some dusty old ammo boxes at floor level, tucked back in behind some other stuff. Upon investigation I discovered maybe 20 old (really old) boxes of Winchester ammo, with their old price tags intact - stuff like .30-40, .30-30, .30-06, etc. I wiped the dust off and schlepped them up to the counter, and advised the checkout girl that maybe the prices weren't valid. She phoned "the boss" and was told to sell them for sticker price, that his stickers are Holy Writ. Ok. I got the stuff for around $60, at $3/box. I didn't bother asking if there was any more - I just got the heck out of there.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jul 2nd, 2021 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
While we are on a roll here: One time a downtown drugstore had a sporting goods section with a full selection of cleaning gear and shotgun shells. Walked in one day at lunch and there was a sign "All sporting goods .10. I questioned what that meant with the manager - was it 10 cents or 10% off or just 10% of the marked price? He said they were closing out that section and it was 10 cents. Well, I wasn't too greedy since I had to carry it back to the office;-) OK, another one: There was a general merchandise store like Value House if you remember those. Looking around I saw that they had CVA muzzleloading kits. I picked up a squirrel rifle marked down to $10. They had another and I called a friend and he came and took the other one. Oh, and a muzzleloader kit with short starter, capper, powder flask etc. for $2. Still have it.

IP Logged

n.r.davis
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Jul 2nd, 2021 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Bought some Empty Shot Bags on an Auction for a buck cause I had won the items I bid on, so why not..
One bag wasn't quite empty.  19 Remington UMC Factory Rounds of 218 Bee.
Pay it forward is a Thread on Rimfire Central.
Yours for the shipping.
P.M. me, David

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jul 2nd, 2021 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
I once was offered a blue, 7 1/2 inch barreled, 1878 Colt in .45 cal. for seventy five bucks. Sold.
But, best of all was a single action Colt in .38 spl. for twenty five bucks. Yep, sold again! Sadly, the rest came more dearly Cry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint