Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ballard Rifle Co. Highwall in 30-40 Krag (Read 7297 times)
Gunfunpow

Ballard Rifle Co. Highwall in 30-40 Krag
Nov 27th, 2020 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
I came across one in a LGS recently. Since I traded off my trapdoor for a BRC in 40-65, I've really enjoyed everything about it. I didn't exactly jump all over this Krag chambering for a few reasons. Which brings us to the reason for this post. 
Does anyone have any information about the chambering in this rifle, ie: twist rate, designed for cast or jacketed bullets? 
Additionally, the rifle has scope blocks mounted, a rear tang sight base is installed, but no staff. Is there a way to determine scope choice based off of block spacing? I kind of like the idea of a .30 cal. in a highwall especially since it matches the original era of rifle/cartridge, so that's the pea what's been rattling around the tin pan I call my brain for the past week or so.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Ballard Rifle Co. Highwall in 30-40 Krag
Reply #1 - Nov 27th, 2020 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
If in good shape at a decent price you should get it. They are high quality and fairly rare.
Am sure if you post a pic of the sight base and the blocks, with spacing info, they can be identified.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Hiwall55
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2020 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
I've got a Shiloh that I picked up years ago at a LGS thinking of rebarrel  to 38/50 , but its so fun to shoot with smokless and  cast that its still stock except  that I cut the barrel down to 30 from 34" . I'm  sure its 10 twist and will handle all loads. Mine likes 311284, 210 grain lyman.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Nov 27th, 2020 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
I would contact Wyoming Armory, it might be possible to find answers to your questions there. I too would assume 1-10 twist, but one never knows! The tang sight and scope may have been added at a later time. If target bases, the spacing would only indicate length. Tang sight were usually one of Ron Long's design, somewhat like the windage adjustable Remington Walker. The customer could of course chose what he (or she) wanted.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Old Soldier
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Nov 28th, 2020 at 12:00am
Print Post  
Whelen carried a HW in 30-40 He loved it. I've wanted one since reading his book Mr. Rifleman.

"White man have very strong Medicine. Shoot today maybeso kill you tomorrow." Esa-Tai Commanche warrior

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Nov 28th, 2020 at 11:16am
Print Post  
I have a Winchester HW that has been rebarreled to 30-40 with a 12 twist barrel.  It is very accurate and fun to shoot with jacketed bullets.  I packed it on a cow elk hunt one day this past fall but never got within range of my tang sight.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Nov 28th, 2020 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
Back about 1984 or so I had a long discussion with Wolf Droege at the Virginia City Buffalo Runners shoot  about the possibilities of building the Sharps in 30-40 Krag.   At that time he said if I could show him an original in 30-40 Krag he would consider it.   Turned out on there was one, Freund modified, at the Roosevelt museum in Medora SD.  Next year at the shoot I told him all about it.  Three or four months later I had a call from him saying he would build a couple and see if they would sell.   My  Montana Rough rider in 30-40 Krag , half round/octagonal,  arrived the tail end of January 1986.   The price was $542.00 plus $11.00 for COD shipping!   Were those the "good old days?;"   and, only 3 or 4 months for delivery.   Obviously  the results of "testing the waters" turned out very well as the 30-40 Krag was listed in the next catalog as a standard caliber.   It is a tack driver with 180 grain jacketed bullets, but mostly I shoot a 190 grain gas check lead bullet.   I  doubt I'd ever part with it.

Having said all that,  I've always wanted a 30-40 original Highwall too as it could probably be built a pound lighter with a #3 barrel. 

George

IP Logged

830singleshot
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Nov 28th, 2020 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
If I had stumbled onto a fairly priced Ballard Rifle Co 1885 30-40 krag, I would be posting pictures of my new rifle!

J. Scott McCash&&New Braunfels, TX&&830-237-2376&&jsmccash@yahoo.com

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Nov 28th, 2020 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
It would make for a very nice hunting rifle all the way up to elk, moose and bear. But unfortunately my hunting days are over or I would be showing pictures of it as well.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Nov 28th, 2020 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
Gunfunpow wrote on Nov 27th, 2020 at 4:24pm:
I came across one in a LGS recently. Since I traded off my trapdoor for a BRC in 40-65, I've really enjoyed everything about it. I didn't exactly jump all over this Krag chambering for a few reasons. Which brings us to the reason for this post. 
Does anyone have any information about the chambering in this rifle, ie: twist rate, designed for cast or jacketed bullets? 
Additionally, the rifle has scope blocks mounted, a rear tang sight base is installed, but no staff. Is there a way to determine scope choice based off of block spacing? I kind of like the idea of a .30 cal. in a highwall especially since it matches the original era of rifle/cartridge, so that's the pea what's been rattling around the tin pan I call my brain for the past week or so.

What are they asking for the rifle?

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Nov 28th, 2020 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Not being a "texter," would someone please clue me in to what the heck is an LGS?   Sounds like a good place to find nice rifles.

Thanks,
George

IP Logged

sureshot
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Nov 28th, 2020 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
Local Gun Shop

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Nov 29th, 2020 at 12:13am
Print Post  
Yes, the LGSs were where the ODGs used to hang out.

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Nov 29th, 2020 at 9:29am
Print Post  
geeze - - -whatever happened to un-abbreviated english?

George

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #14 - Nov 29th, 2020 at 10:23am
Print Post  
A couple of things; I'd be willing bro bet good money it is a cast bullet gun. When Pope wanted a gun for hunting he ordered a High Wall in 30-40 from Winchester. In Pope's words you dont need a Pope barrel to kill a deer. Lastly if the blocks are 7.2" center to center virtually any externally adjustable scope will work. Again if I were a betting man i'd bet they were unertl blocks.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint