Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Very early #2 Remington rolling block (Read 9777 times)
ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Very early #2 Remington rolling block
Jun 29th, 2021 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
I'm excited to share this gem with you guys. In fact it could be a Gem, which was the original name of what became the #2 rolling block rifle.  

Some of you know that I'm quite a fan of the #2 rifles. I've not seen one this early, other than in Roy Marcot's wonderful book. While well used over its near 150 year life, it is all complete and original.  It has a late 3 digit serial number and the rotary knife blade extractor. This extractor was only used on the very early #2 rifles. It was considered weak and soon replaced with the sliding bar extractor.  It is chambered in .32 Extra Long rimfire. The bore is well used and pitted, but bright.  

I removed the block and hammer for cleaning, it clearly had not been apart in many, many years. But after a careful cleaning and oiling, the action works great and is very smooth.  Of course there are no records to date it, but I'd estimate that it dates to early-mid 1873.  

I now have five #2 rifles, this being the earliest by far  Smiley

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Very early #2 Remington rolling block
Reply #1 - Jun 29th, 2021 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Not sure if I've seen that extractor style or not, as haven't paid much attention. Congrats on #5!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2021 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Very nice Steve!

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 29th, 2021 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Looking through Marcot's book, he only shows four Gem/#2 rifles with lower serial numbers.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 29th, 2021 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
I have never researched the number 2 and was not aware of the name Gem.  You have me curious about a gun I have.  It has the rotary extractor.  Mine has 206 on the outside bottom of the lower tang, like you would expect, but also has 396 stamped on the side of both upper and lower tang which I thought was strange.  Why wouldn’t they use the same number in both places?  I always assumed the 206 was the SN because it has 206 also stamped on the barrel.  So does this put my gun in approximately the same build time as yours?
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #5 - Jun 29th, 2021 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
bobw wrote on Jun 29th, 2021 at 10:25pm:
I have never researched the number 2 and was not aware of the name Gem.  You have me curious about a gun I have.  It has the rotary extractor.  Mine has 206 on the outside bottom of the lower tang, like you would expect, but also has 396 stamped on the side of both upper and lower tang which I thought was strange.  Why wouldn’t they use the same number in both places?  I always assumed the 206 was the SN because it has 206 also stamped on the barrel.  So does this put my gun in approximately the same build time as yours?
Bob

Number on the lower tang is the serial number. Numbers on the left side of the tang are assembly or special order numbers. Nothing to do with the serial number.
It depends if it's a #2 or not with the serial number. If it's a #2 than it too is a very low early number. But if it's another model like a 1 1/2, or 4 then they had their own serial number range.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 29th, 2021 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
Vall, I just assumed everyone would understand mine is a #2.  You know what they say about assuming anything!  Cheesy

Robert Warren

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 5:22am
Print Post  
bobw wrote on Jun 29th, 2021 at 10:25pm:
Bob

I agree with Vall. Yours is indeed a very low serial numbered #2. Yours is earlier than mine and almost surely falls into the "Gem" period. According to Marcot, this would be from the start of production in late 1872 until early 1873.  Please share photos of yours  Smiley

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 8:23am
Print Post  
I've got serial #842. I never knew about the knife blade extractor. This one has one. It is just marked 32 on the bottom of the barrel. The bore has a little rifling left but I doubt it would be very accurate. It is in typical condition for a 150 year old well used tool.

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 8:41am
Print Post  
Deadeye Bly wrote on Jun 30th, 2021 at 8:23am:
I've got serial #842. I never knew about the knife blade extractor. This one has one. It is just marked 32 on the bottom of the barrel. The bore has a little rifling left but I doubt it would be very accurate. It is in typical condition for a 150 year old well used tool.

Yours was likely made within a few days of mine  Smiley
Please post some photos!

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 10:28am
Print Post  
Steve, I can post pictures of my rifle but this is your thread.  Do you want me to post them here or start a new thread?
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 10:33am
Print Post  
bobw wrote on Jun 30th, 2021 at 10:28am:
Steve, I can post pictures of my rifle but this is your thread.  Do you want me to post them here or start a new thread?
Bob

Either way, but I dont mind seeing them here.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 11:13am
Print Post  
Here are several photos of my gun serial number 206.  Unfortunately the gun is totally disassembled currently so I do not have full length photos of it but hopefully these will show what condition it is in.  It is generally a nice rifle but does have a cracked frame at each corner just behind the rear of the hammer. Caliber is 38 rimfire.  It is not currently being restored but only used as an example for another gun that is in process.  But, my intent was to restore it but now I'm questioning that thought!

Robert Warren

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 11:14am
Print Post  
More photos

Robert Warren

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 11:16am
Print Post  
More photos including the disassembled rotary extractor details.

Robert Warren

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #15 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 11:18am
Print Post  
One more just for the record and fun!  #2 frame compared to a #7 casting from Rodney Storie.  The #7 is what I have in process.

Robert Warren

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 11:31am
Print Post  
Second "one more"!  This shows a pin set in the side of the frame that is a stop for the rotary extractor.  It is only visible from the inside.

Robert Warren

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 11:38am
Print Post  
Those are great, thanks for sharing.  The cracked frame is surprising. Is it chambered for .38 Extra Long?  If so, I wonder if the extra power of an XL length cartridge contributed to the cracks.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 11:56am
Print Post  
Steve, Yes it is 38 extra long, (correction 38 long not extra long), at least that fits the chamber.  The crack was discuses a while back in this thread. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
My opinion is that the cartridge had nothing to do with the cracks.  The pins, hammer and breech block are still tight and do not contact the frame.  It doesn’t appear to have been abused so I think over 150 years of handling, use, wood expansion and contraction it has worked on the frame and cracked it.  When I discussed it with Peter at Restorative Welding he said he has seen this on many different makes not just the #2 Rolling blocks.
Bob
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2021 at 1:40pm by bobw »  

Robert Warren

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Steve, I am curious about your gun.  The picture is not real clear so I am probably seeing thing that aren’t there but looking at it it looks like there may be a small crack starting on the right side outside corner.  Do you see anything there on the gun?

Robert Warren

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #20 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Had to dig mine out of the safe, as I was uncertain what serial number range it was in? But mine appears to be from decades later than these #2's. It's in the 20,000 range, so a lot newer.
Mine is a .32-20, and in pretty nice shape. I've used it out to 500 yds. and it's amazingly accurate even at the mid range distance. Bore looks like new, and it has all the original finish on wood, and maybe 95% barrel blue. It has no steel tip, and just the ebony V in the forearm tip. 26" barrel.
It does have a very strange breech block, as it appears to have a sight notch in the center, even though it has a rear Rocky Mountain style barrel sight?

I have changed the sights for long range shooting, so it has a mid range vernier, and a globe front. The vernier is a modern repro.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Nice looking gun Vall.  And that is an interesting breech block.  Have any clearer pictures from different angles?

Robert Warren

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
That V-notch is interesting.  I have a .32-20 #2 in the 42,000 range, very late production. But no V-notch.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
I just corrected myself, after getting out to my shop and rechecking.  It was a 38 long rimfire that fit not the 38 extra long.   
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Oh yes, I recall that discussion now - thanks.

I took a good look at mine with a magnifier, but didnt see any cracks. Here is a better pic of that area. 

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
A few photos of the bore. Pretty ugly in there  Cry

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #26 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
bobw wrote on Jun 30th, 2021 at 12:10pm:
Nice looking gun Vall.  And that is an interesting breech block.  Have any clearer pictures from different angles?

Have to take a couple Bob. I set the camera on Macro to try to get a clear closeup of it, but maybe I need to just leave it on auto and let the camera figure it out.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Steve, must just be seeing thing.  Yours looks good.
Thanks Vall.  I can imagine how they shaped it but be nice to actually see it.
This discussion really has me questioning what I should do with my gun!  My intent was to have the frame welded, polish and have recase hardened, possibly new wood even though the wood on it is good.  Line the barrel to a suitable caliber and convert the breech block to the centerfire.  But really wasn’t liking the rotary extractor and dealing with it.  Now I’m thinking about leaving it asis, I’ll just get it back together and maybe look for another in need of restoration.

Robert Warren

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Bob - do you think the rotary extractor would be a problem with modern brass and a cleanly cut new chamber? I would think it would be ok for something like .32-20.

IP Logged

jimmy
Senior Forum Member

Now available in Oklahoma.

Reply #29 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 7:34am
Print Post  
Rough and ready rear sight on Bob's #2 has to be rare. Great thread! I miss having a #2.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #30 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 9:01am
Print Post  
ndnchf wrote on Jun 30th, 2021 at 7:43pm:
Bob - do you think the rotary extractor would be a problem with modern brass and a cleanly cut new chamber? I would think it would be ok for something like .32-20.

I'm not sure one type of rotary extractor would really work that much better than the other myself? Seems they're very similar, other than one being thinner than the other?
I've not had a bunch of #2's, but of the 5 or 6 I've had in everything from .22RF to my .32-20, none have had extraction issues. Actually, none of them had any issues. The design seems to be one of the neatest of the various Rolling Block models to my thinking.

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 9:20am
Print Post  
I've was thinking about the extractor question this morning.  The #2 rotary extractor is pretty thin, almost knife blade like.  In the 1870s all the rimfire cases were soft copper. After firing multiple rounds, black powder fouling could accumulate in the chamber contributing to the case sticking. I can imagine how that, along with the thin knife blade extractor could result the the extractor tearing through the soft copper rim. The damaged case then being stuck in the chamber. Similar to what we've heard about happening at Custer's 1876 debacle.  The sliding bar extractor has a wider rim contact area, which reduces the chance of it tearing through the soft copper rim.

Today, with modern brass cases and clean burning powder (or regular chamber/bore swabbing), I think the difference becomes moot. Both will work equally well. 

Steve

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 10:26am
Print Post  
jimmy, that rear sight has been one that has interested me.  I’d like to hear more about it from anyone that can enlighten me.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

kensmachine
Oldtimer

Reply #33 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Dave at Lone Star told me he used a rotary extractor on his #7's he did. Ken

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Steve, I feel your thread has been hijacked!  We can continue this discussion here or I can start a new thread if you like.  I would like to discuss more about my rifle and a restoration.  I think this thread is appropriate but only if you don’t mind.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 10:36am
Print Post  
ken, the #7 I’m in the process of building I had the option of the rotary but choose to go with the sliding.  The rotary came with Rodney’s castings.  With a bit of advice from Greg (GT) I got it made and installed and works great.

Robert Warren

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 10:40am
Print Post  
bobw wrote on Jul 1st, 2021 at 10:31am:
Steve, I feel your thread has been hijacked!  We can continue this discussion here or I can start a new thread if you like.  I would like to discuss more about my rifle and a restoration.  I think this thread is appropriate but only if you don’t mind.
Bob

I'm fine with discussing the early #2s here. It goes along with and builds on my original post.  I think its good to keep all the early #2 info in one location.  Thanks for asking.
Steve

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Thanks Steve,
I would like start by asking everyone’s opinion of the pros and cons of actually doing a restoration on my gun.  The photos show the current condition being cracked at the front of the top tang and being a 38 rimfire with a somewhat poor bore.  I see how happy Steve is with finding a similar gun in original condition and I question if I should do anything to it since it is a very early #2.  I would like to here opinions on this subject before getting into actual discussion on the how to’s of a restoration.  I know what I would like to see but really want others to comment.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #38 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 11:02am
Print Post  
ndnchf wrote on Jul 1st, 2021 at 9:20am:
I've was thinking about the extractor question this morning.  The #2 rotary extractor is pretty thin, almost knife blade like.  In the 1870s all the rimfire cases were soft copper. After firing multiple rounds, black powder fouling could accumulate in the chamber contributing to the case sticking. I can imagine how that, along with the thin knife blade extractor could result the the extractor tearing through the soft copper rim. The damaged case then being stuck in the chamber. Similar to what we've heard about happening at Custer's 1876 debacle.  The sliding bar extractor has a wider rim contact area, which reduces the chance of it tearing through the soft copper rim.

Today, with modern brass cases and clean burning powder (or regular chamber/bore swabbing), I think the difference becomes moot. Both will work equally well. 

Steve

But the real issue is indeed stuck cases and a sliding bar extractor. The end that's larger catches the rim better, but that's usually the weak point also on a sliding extractor, as the ends break off fairly easy since the bar itself is quite thin.
I've purchased a number of early #1 Rollers with the sliding extractor missing the end, and the rest of the bar still there. I think the rotary (even small thin rotary) is less likely to break than the sliding bar is.

IP Logged

jimmy
Senior Forum Member

Now available in Oklahoma.

Reply #39 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
bobw wrote on Jul 1st, 2021 at 10:26am:
jimmy, that rear sight has been one that has interested me.  I’d like to hear more about it from anyone that can enlighten me.
Bob

I don't know much more than they were available as an option from Remington. Yours is the first I've seen on a #2.

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #40 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
Just out of interest, I photographed this rifle's extractor and that of another #2, also chambered in .32 extra long, but converted to CF. The second rifle has a sliding bar extractor. I also measured the thickness of each extractor where it engages the case rim to see how much bite each has. The rotary knife blade extractor  thickness is .050". The sliding bar extractor is .187".

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
I loaded up 5 rounds of .32 extra long rimfire. I was already planning to stop at the range after work tomorrow to chronograph .44 long rimfires in the Ballard and .56-50 rimfires in the Remington split breech. With the rough bore condition, I'm under no illusions that it will be a tack driver. But I like to shoot all my rifles, so now is as good a time as any to try this one out  Smiley 

BTW, I noticed that it is very easy to slip a cartridge past the rotary knife blade extractor.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #42 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Steve, on the converted gun, was it originally a rotary extractor and converted to sliding or always a sliding.
Yes, the extractor width was some concern for me but maybe will work ok.

Robert Warren

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #43 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
bobw wrote on Jul 1st, 2021 at 7:46pm:
Steve, on the converted gun, was it originally a rotary extractor and converted to sliding or always a sliding.
Yes, the extractor width was some concern for me but maybe will work ok.

The rifle converted to centerfire came new with the sliding bar extractor.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Thanks, I asked that because I think the rotary might be converted to the sliding which I would not be interested in.  Doing one on a new build was time consuming and stressful enough. Grin
I was warned about the shell slipping past the rotary extractor so doesn’t surprise me you need to be careful.

Robert Warren

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #45 - Jul 2nd, 2021 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
I went to the range today to chrono some other loads. I brought along the old #2 and the five rounds pictured above. They all shot fine. But as expected with the badly worn bore, they scattered. Extraction was problematic. None could be extracted by the knife blade extractor. There is little leverage and the pitted chamber made it worse. So each was knocked out with a cleaning rod.

Being such a low numbered and all original example, I wouldn't want to rebore or reline it. The old boy will be relegated to retired collector status. It has earned it. I have other #2s to play with. But at least I can say that I fired it  Smiley

Oh, BTW. Since I was test firing it, I shot it across the chrono. With a full case of Blackhorn 209 (9.0gr), a starter pistol acorn blank primer and 87gr heel bullet, it averaged 1029fps.
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2021 at 8:01am by ndnchf »  

IP Logged

Bigskybob

Reply #46 - Sep 26th, 2021 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Just saw this discussion last evening---down to the safe and found that I have SN 46.  32 RF.  From what I see here---probably from 1872.
Bob

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #47 - Sep 26th, 2021 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
That IS early! Please share some clear, close up photos.

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #48 - Dec 21st, 2021 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
Bigskybob wrote on Sep 26th, 2021 at 2:40pm:
Just saw this discussion last evening---down to the safe and found that I have SN 46.  32 RF.  From what I see here---probably from 1872.
Bob

Bob - can you please post some clear, well lit close up photos of your #46 rifle.  I'm starting a research project on #2 rifles. Yours is the earliest I've seen.  Thanks.
Steve

IP Logged

Bigskybob

Reply #49 - Dec 24th, 2021 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Here are photos of the #2  serial # 46
Bob

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #50 - Dec 24th, 2021 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Thanks Bob.  Am I correct in assuming it has the knife blade extractor and Remington address on the tang?

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #51 - Dec 28th, 2021 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Interesting to see the "knife" extractor on an early #2.   That clearly shows the evolution from the 1870 Army pistol into the #2 Remington.    I have been shooting my 50 caliber 1870 army pistol and those extracrors are kind of puny.  I'm pretty sure that the one that came on the pistol when I got it was a replacement.  It wasn't quite correct and never did work.   A few years ago I borrowed a friend's 1870 Atmy pistol and used his extractor as a pattern to mate a new one for my pistor.    Now it works as it should but I'm not sure how long it will last.

I have a pair of #2 rifles; a 22 and a 32-20.  The 32-20 was sleeved from 32 RF.  The serial number on the 30 inch barrel doesn't match that of the receiver although they are close differing by about 300.  Both my #2s have the sliding extractor.

George

George

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint