Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Very early #2 Remington rolling block (Read 9776 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Very early #2 Remington rolling block
Reply #30 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 9:01am
Print Post  
ndnchf wrote on Jun 30th, 2021 at 7:43pm:
Bob - do you think the rotary extractor would be a problem with modern brass and a cleanly cut new chamber? I would think it would be ok for something like .32-20.

I'm not sure one type of rotary extractor would really work that much better than the other myself? Seems they're very similar, other than one being thinner than the other?
I've not had a bunch of #2's, but of the 5 or 6 I've had in everything from .22RF to my .32-20, none have had extraction issues. Actually, none of them had any issues. The design seems to be one of the neatest of the various Rolling Block models to my thinking.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 9:20am
Print Post  
I've was thinking about the extractor question this morning.  The #2 rotary extractor is pretty thin, almost knife blade like.  In the 1870s all the rimfire cases were soft copper. After firing multiple rounds, black powder fouling could accumulate in the chamber contributing to the case sticking. I can imagine how that, along with the thin knife blade extractor could result the the extractor tearing through the soft copper rim. The damaged case then being stuck in the chamber. Similar to what we've heard about happening at Custer's 1876 debacle.  The sliding bar extractor has a wider rim contact area, which reduces the chance of it tearing through the soft copper rim.

Today, with modern brass cases and clean burning powder (or regular chamber/bore swabbing), I think the difference becomes moot. Both will work equally well. 

Steve

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 10:26am
Print Post  
jimmy, that rear sight has been one that has interested me.  I’d like to hear more about it from anyone that can enlighten me.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

kensmachine
Oldtimer

Reply #33 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Dave at Lone Star told me he used a rotary extractor on his #7's he did. Ken

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Steve, I feel your thread has been hijacked!  We can continue this discussion here or I can start a new thread if you like.  I would like to discuss more about my rifle and a restoration.  I think this thread is appropriate but only if you don’t mind.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 10:36am
Print Post  
ken, the #7 I’m in the process of building I had the option of the rotary but choose to go with the sliding.  The rotary came with Rodney’s castings.  With a bit of advice from Greg (GT) I got it made and installed and works great.

Robert Warren

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 10:40am
Print Post  
bobw wrote on Jul 1st, 2021 at 10:31am:
Steve, I feel your thread has been hijacked!  We can continue this discussion here or I can start a new thread if you like.  I would like to discuss more about my rifle and a restoration.  I think this thread is appropriate but only if you don’t mind.
Bob

I'm fine with discussing the early #2s here. It goes along with and builds on my original post.  I think its good to keep all the early #2 info in one location.  Thanks for asking.
Steve

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Thanks Steve,
I would like start by asking everyone’s opinion of the pros and cons of actually doing a restoration on my gun.  The photos show the current condition being cracked at the front of the top tang and being a 38 rimfire with a somewhat poor bore.  I see how happy Steve is with finding a similar gun in original condition and I question if I should do anything to it since it is a very early #2.  I would like to here opinions on this subject before getting into actual discussion on the how to’s of a restoration.  I know what I would like to see but really want others to comment.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #38 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 11:02am
Print Post  
ndnchf wrote on Jul 1st, 2021 at 9:20am:
I've was thinking about the extractor question this morning.  The #2 rotary extractor is pretty thin, almost knife blade like.  In the 1870s all the rimfire cases were soft copper. After firing multiple rounds, black powder fouling could accumulate in the chamber contributing to the case sticking. I can imagine how that, along with the thin knife blade extractor could result the the extractor tearing through the soft copper rim. The damaged case then being stuck in the chamber. Similar to what we've heard about happening at Custer's 1876 debacle.  The sliding bar extractor has a wider rim contact area, which reduces the chance of it tearing through the soft copper rim.

Today, with modern brass cases and clean burning powder (or regular chamber/bore swabbing), I think the difference becomes moot. Both will work equally well. 

Steve

But the real issue is indeed stuck cases and a sliding bar extractor. The end that's larger catches the rim better, but that's usually the weak point also on a sliding extractor, as the ends break off fairly easy since the bar itself is quite thin.
I've purchased a number of early #1 Rollers with the sliding extractor missing the end, and the rest of the bar still there. I think the rotary (even small thin rotary) is less likely to break than the sliding bar is.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

jimmy
Senior Forum Member

Now available in Oklahoma.

Reply #39 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
bobw wrote on Jul 1st, 2021 at 10:26am:
jimmy, that rear sight has been one that has interested me.  I’d like to hear more about it from anyone that can enlighten me.
Bob

I don't know much more than they were available as an option from Remington. Yours is the first I've seen on a #2.

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #40 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
Just out of interest, I photographed this rifle's extractor and that of another #2, also chambered in .32 extra long, but converted to CF. The second rifle has a sliding bar extractor. I also measured the thickness of each extractor where it engages the case rim to see how much bite each has. The rotary knife blade extractor  thickness is .050". The sliding bar extractor is .187".

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
I loaded up 5 rounds of .32 extra long rimfire. I was already planning to stop at the range after work tomorrow to chronograph .44 long rimfires in the Ballard and .56-50 rimfires in the Remington split breech. With the rough bore condition, I'm under no illusions that it will be a tack driver. But I like to shoot all my rifles, so now is as good a time as any to try this one out  Smiley 

BTW, I noticed that it is very easy to slip a cartridge past the rotary knife blade extractor.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #42 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Steve, on the converted gun, was it originally a rotary extractor and converted to sliding or always a sliding.
Yes, the extractor width was some concern for me but maybe will work ok.

Robert Warren

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #43 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
bobw wrote on Jul 1st, 2021 at 7:46pm:
Steve, on the converted gun, was it originally a rotary extractor and converted to sliding or always a sliding.
Yes, the extractor width was some concern for me but maybe will work ok.

The rifle converted to centerfire came new with the sliding bar extractor.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Thanks, I asked that because I think the rotary might be converted to the sliding which I would not be interested in.  Doing one on a new build was time consuming and stressful enough. Grin
I was warned about the shell slipping past the rotary extractor so doesn’t surprise me you need to be careful.

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint