Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Very early #2 Remington rolling block (Read 9779 times)
ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Very early #2 Remington rolling block
Jun 29th, 2021 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
I'm excited to share this gem with you guys. In fact it could be a Gem, which was the original name of what became the #2 rolling block rifle.  

Some of you know that I'm quite a fan of the #2 rifles. I've not seen one this early, other than in Roy Marcot's wonderful book. While well used over its near 150 year life, it is all complete and original.  It has a late 3 digit serial number and the rotary knife blade extractor. This extractor was only used on the very early #2 rifles. It was considered weak and soon replaced with the sliding bar extractor.  It is chambered in .32 Extra Long rimfire. The bore is well used and pitted, but bright.  

I removed the block and hammer for cleaning, it clearly had not been apart in many, many years. But after a careful cleaning and oiling, the action works great and is very smooth.  Of course there are no records to date it, but I'd estimate that it dates to early-mid 1873.  

I now have five #2 rifles, this being the earliest by far  Smiley

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Very early #2 Remington rolling block
Reply #1 - Jun 29th, 2021 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Not sure if I've seen that extractor style or not, as haven't paid much attention. Congrats on #5!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2021 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Very nice Steve!

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 29th, 2021 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Looking through Marcot's book, he only shows four Gem/#2 rifles with lower serial numbers.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 29th, 2021 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
I have never researched the number 2 and was not aware of the name Gem.  You have me curious about a gun I have.  It has the rotary extractor.  Mine has 206 on the outside bottom of the lower tang, like you would expect, but also has 396 stamped on the side of both upper and lower tang which I thought was strange.  Why wouldn’t they use the same number in both places?  I always assumed the 206 was the SN because it has 206 also stamped on the barrel.  So does this put my gun in approximately the same build time as yours?
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Jun 29th, 2021 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
bobw wrote on Jun 29th, 2021 at 10:25pm:
I have never researched the number 2 and was not aware of the name Gem.  You have me curious about a gun I have.  It has the rotary extractor.  Mine has 206 on the outside bottom of the lower tang, like you would expect, but also has 396 stamped on the side of both upper and lower tang which I thought was strange.  Why wouldn’t they use the same number in both places?  I always assumed the 206 was the SN because it has 206 also stamped on the barrel.  So does this put my gun in approximately the same build time as yours?
Bob

Number on the lower tang is the serial number. Numbers on the left side of the tang are assembly or special order numbers. Nothing to do with the serial number.
It depends if it's a #2 or not with the serial number. If it's a #2 than it too is a very low early number. But if it's another model like a 1 1/2, or 4 then they had their own serial number range.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 29th, 2021 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
Vall, I just assumed everyone would understand mine is a #2.  You know what they say about assuming anything!  Cheesy

Robert Warren

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 5:22am
Print Post  
bobw wrote on Jun 29th, 2021 at 10:25pm:
Bob

I agree with Vall. Yours is indeed a very low serial numbered #2. Yours is earlier than mine and almost surely falls into the "Gem" period. According to Marcot, this would be from the start of production in late 1872 until early 1873.  Please share photos of yours  Smiley

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 8:23am
Print Post  
I've got serial #842. I never knew about the knife blade extractor. This one has one. It is just marked 32 on the bottom of the barrel. The bore has a little rifling left but I doubt it would be very accurate. It is in typical condition for a 150 year old well used tool.

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 8:41am
Print Post  
Deadeye Bly wrote on Jun 30th, 2021 at 8:23am:
I've got serial #842. I never knew about the knife blade extractor. This one has one. It is just marked 32 on the bottom of the barrel. The bore has a little rifling left but I doubt it would be very accurate. It is in typical condition for a 150 year old well used tool.

Yours was likely made within a few days of mine  Smiley
Please post some photos!

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 10:28am
Print Post  
Steve, I can post pictures of my rifle but this is your thread.  Do you want me to post them here or start a new thread?
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 10:33am
Print Post  
bobw wrote on Jun 30th, 2021 at 10:28am:
Steve, I can post pictures of my rifle but this is your thread.  Do you want me to post them here or start a new thread?
Bob

Either way, but I dont mind seeing them here.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 11:13am
Print Post  
Here are several photos of my gun serial number 206.  Unfortunately the gun is totally disassembled currently so I do not have full length photos of it but hopefully these will show what condition it is in.  It is generally a nice rifle but does have a cracked frame at each corner just behind the rear of the hammer. Caliber is 38 rimfire.  It is not currently being restored but only used as an example for another gun that is in process.  But, my intent was to restore it but now I'm questioning that thought!

Robert Warren

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 11:14am
Print Post  
More photos

Robert Warren

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 11:16am
Print Post  
More photos including the disassembled rotary extractor details.

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint