Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) New Mexico Antelope (Read 4684 times)
oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: New Mexico Antelope
Reply #15 - Jan 18th, 2022 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
Just hide behind the rattlesnakes.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #16 - Jan 18th, 2022 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
The cactus in New Mexico are higher than the stubble in Saskatchewan.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jan 18th, 2022 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
That is why they can see for miles and run like the wind for a looong time.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jan 19th, 2022 at 12:43am
Print Post  
Actually, it is because back in the Pleistocene there was an American Cheetah. Here's what Wikipedia says: M. trumani was the animal morphologically most similar to true cheetahs. Living on the prairies and plains of western and central North America, it was probably a predator of hoofed plains animals, such as the pronghorn, an extant species. In fact, predation by Miracinonyx is thought to be the reason pronghorns evolved to run so swiftly, their 55 mph (89 km/h) top speed still being used to evade their extant American predators, such as cougars and gray wolves.[13][14] Fossils of M. trumani have been found in Arizona,[15] Florida, Wyoming,[16] Colorado,[17] Nebraska, Maryland and Pennsylvania.[18]

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jan 19th, 2022 at 12:50am
Print Post  
And I wasn't really kidding about the rattlesnakes. I was hunting in eastern NM with a friend and his son who had just returned from Army boot and was gung ho. We ran across a hefty rattler and he just had to launch his Ka-Bar at it. The old snake just coiled himself around the knife and said "come and get it".

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jan 19th, 2022 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
They can see for miles, and run like the wind for a long time to avoid the speedy critters you so thoughtfully made us aware of. They, Pronghorns, are still here, the others long gone. As Darwin pointed out, natural selection at work. Lack of cover perhaps enhanced the need? In my experience, only Wyoming surpasses New Mexico in rattlesnake population. Crawling around in either is no fun, but at times necessary to be successful.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Jan 19th, 2022 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
On another hunt in NM, the ranch owner and the game warden came around as my wife and I were going out and gave us a little tip. They said that when the herds were stirred up they would make a big circle in their territory and come back around. We found a spot on the point of a low bluff and it turned out to be a near intersection point of 3 circles - two out in front of us below the point and one behind us. Naturally the first herd to return was behind us but the curious buck spotted us and came by closest and I was able to drop him. While I was gutting him one of the other herds came by and the wife dropped one. I got them both back to the truck and skinned them on the spot because of the heat and bagged them and we headed home.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint