Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Servicing and improving Lyman STS (Read 1286 times)
Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Servicing and improving Lyman STS
Jun 14th, 2021 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Since these scopes have come up in a couple of threads here recently, I’ll post this here and see what folks have to say.

I have a Super Targetspot in 20X that I’ve owned for over 20 years but haven’t used much in the last few years due to family issues and of course the WuFlu matter.  When I got it out yesterday I noticed there was a light tan ring around the edge of the objective lens.  Can I clean it myself or am I getting lens separation and in need of professional help?  If I do need to send it off, is it possible to have it fitted with a booster like they used to do with Unertls and others?  I’d love to have a 25 or 30X STS to use for BR. 

Is this a job for Joe Ruth?  Any other suggestions?

TIA~Froggie

IP Logged

burntwater
Senior Forum Member

Re: Servicing and improving Lyman STS
Reply #1 - Jun 14th, 2021 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
There are others doing this work but I’ve had my best service from Bill Ackerman’s shop aka Optical Services in NM. Shop is run by his daughter Cheryl who literally grew up in the business. They can completely service your scope but will not get into major damage repairs.  They can boost a 20x to max 32x or less but not more.  The big difference with Ackerman and his daughter is that they communicate with the customer something that most of these shops don’t do. I personally can’t tolerate sending out a high end scope, or anything for that matter and finding nobody home at the other end. In the same vein it’s poor form to tie up a craftsman with phone chatter that eats the clock alive.
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2021 at 7:25pm by burntwater »  

IP Logged

Grizz61
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Jun 14th, 2021 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
I will second what just said about Optical Services in NM.  I would not dream of letting anyone else work on one of these vintage scopes.  in all I have had 6 scoped worked on by Cheryl one boosted and recitals changed in the others.  Her prices are fair and her turn around time is good.

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jun 14th, 2021 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
burntwater wrote on Jun 14th, 2021 at 5:55pm:
There are others doing this work but I’ve had my best service from Bill Ackerman’s shop aka Optical Services in NM.

Contact info please?

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2021 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
Link to their website...................
    (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Regards,
Joe

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jun 16th, 2021 at 2:18am
Print Post  
Thanks Joe.

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 16th, 2021 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
Green_Frog wrote on Jun 14th, 2021 at 4:41pm:
Since these scopes have come up in a couple of threads here recently, I’ll post this here and see what folks have to say.

I have a Super Targetspot in 20X that I’ve owned for over 20 years but haven’t used much in the last few years due to family issues and of course the WuFlu matter.  When I got it out yesterday I noticed there was a light tan ring around the edge of the objective lens.  Can I clean it myself or am I getting lens separation and in need of professional help?  If I do need to send it off, is it possible to have it fitted with a booster like they used to do with Unertls and others?  I’d love to have a 25 or 30X STS to use for BR. 
Is this a job for Joe Ruth?  Any other suggestions?
TIA~Froggie

Froggie,

That’s apparently a common problem with the Lyman STS.  It's normally not the lens separating but caused by thread compound or oil migrating onto the inside of the lens over many years.  I had the same problem with a 25X I recently purchased.  When looking for the scope I ran across several listing of Lyman STS's with close up photos displaying the same issue.  I’ve disassembled and worked on Unertl, Fecker & Lyman scopes & only ran across the problem on the Lyman STS.  Since others are having the same problem it has to be something Lyman used during assembly.

I have somewhat of an optics background & figured it would be a piece of cake to remove the objective housing & clean the lens from the inside – not so.  Be warned, lens cleaning solutions would not touch it.  Using long Q-tips I tried alcohol, a couple of eyeglass lens solutions along with Zeiss lens wipes - no dice.  I took a chance of damaging the lens or coatings & out of desperation used Remington Shotgun Cleaner which worked great.  But using gun cleaner is not a recommendation as some may damage the lens coating.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jun 16th, 2021 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Wayne,
Funny thing.
I also recently purchased a Lyman STS /25X with extra-fine crosshairs and 1/8 min dot.
Same story. Haze on inside periphery of the objective lens.
I was able to remove it with Ethyl Alcohol and Q tips.
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 16th, 2021 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
beltfed wrote on Jun 16th, 2021 at 6:02pm:
Wayne,
Funny thing.
I also recently purchased a Lyman STS /25X with extra-fine crosshairs and 1/8 min dot.
Same story. Haze on inside periphery of the objective lens.
I was able to remove it with Ethyl Alcohol and Q tips.
beltfed/arnie

Hi Arnie,

It's good to know that ethyl alcohol works. I didn't have any & tried isopropyl alcohol which did not work. 
I don't know what's in the Zeiss lens wipes.  The eyeglass cleaning spray does says no alcohol.

BTW, I have yet to try the PP bullets.  Too many others things in the way.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint