Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 1885 Hi Wall front trigger stuck (Read 1984 times)
577Nitro

1885 Hi Wall front trigger stuck
Jun 3rd, 2021 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
I just picked up my not new 1885 Hi wall in 32-40 and worked the action to see if all was function, well pushed the rear trigger into what I think is the set, pulled the front, it when forward into the proper location, but now I can lower the breech block, but the front trigger has stayed back, and the action won't lockup ready to fire. Have I done something wrong? or is there a problem with the gun?

Pro Deo et Pro Patria

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 1885 Hi Wall front trigger stuck
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2021 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
If this is a wide-spaced Helm double set trigger you pull the back trigger, to set it. Push it forward if it's a close coupled set trigger or a single set trigger. If it is jammed up, I suggest you pull the stock and spray some good gun cleaner into the trigger area and then check carefully to see if anything might be jammed up or broken..
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2021 at 2:36pm by Old-Win »  

IP Logged

577Nitro

Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2021 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
ok, sound like a first approach. How close do the triggers sit for the two you mentioned?, and doe the stock have a long bolt through it connecting to the action, or is it only attached at the forward portion where the stock meats up with the tangs?

Pro Deo et Pro Patria

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 3rd, 2021 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Not knowing which of the set triggers that where just mentioned it is hard for anyone to help you out.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

577Nitro

Reply #4 - Jun 3rd, 2021 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
ahhh, do you think putting some lube into the portion of the action where the triggers are is an option as above?, 
Old-Win I See two type of DST mine has them spaced approximately 
5/8 of an inch apart vs the ones that are 1/8...will disassemble tonight to assess what up.
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2021 at 4:53pm by 577Nitro »  

Pro Deo et Pro Patria

IP Logged

Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 3rd, 2021 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
Close coupled trigger picture 1.
Double set picture 2.

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 3rd, 2021 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
Not knowing exactly what is going on myself. I would flush out all of the triggers working parts with Lighter fluid / Naptha and I would not try to lube them after that. Naptha is also a lubricant and it doesn't attract dirt, dust, carbon fouling or anything else that is over time destructive to those parts. I would also consider looking into if you should be opening the breech block while the trigger is still set? I have an original HiWall with the close coupled set triggers so might want also check to see if the existing set trigger adjustments are still correct. My close coupled set triggers have worked flawlessly but I also do what is mentioned above.

IP Logged

577Nitro

Reply #7 - Jun 3rd, 2021 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Kurt et Al,
The second photo fits with what mine looks like. I just returned from taking the action apart, and found nothing obviously wrong except the trigger housing...the front trigger is locked and to what I have know idea. took flashlight and magnifying glass still nothing...so it is going to have to go to a Smith who knows these, and won't make a thesis out of, just fix and return.

Pro Deo et Pro Patria

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 3rd, 2021 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Not knowing where you live and if close enough I could try and to help you out. Myself I live in Modesto Ca. It is probably something simple they are not all that difficult and if you are closer to someone else here they too could probably help you out.

IP Logged

577Nitro

Reply #9 - Jun 3rd, 2021 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Modesto! I know it well...born in Santa Monica (1945) live in San Diego till Vietnam, then Palo Alto and Milpitas, Colorado, now People Republic of Maryland...So you might be a little far to go, but a nice trip...Im going to give Lee Shaver a call as I am sure it is not much, just something making the front trigger totally bound up tight..Weird

Pro Deo et Pro Patria

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jun 3rd, 2021 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
If the set triggers aren't dinged up, you should be able to solve this problem yourself. There is a screw on the bottom tang right behind the stock bolt screw.  Back that screw off a couple of turns and that will release the pressure on the rear trigger. Then turn the tiny screw between the two triggers clockwise so that it goes farther into the tang.  That should release the pressure between the two triggers and allow you to get the front trigger functioning again. Then retighten the screw in the bottom of the tang and then reset the two triggers by backing off the screw between the two triggers. Remember to pull the back trigger first with the action cocked or you can set the back trigger with the hammer completely down but not in the half cock notch . Once you get plenty of engagement you can start turning the little screw in clockwise until the hammer drops. Then back it off about a half turn to set it correctly.

IP Logged

577Nitro

Reply #11 - Jun 4th, 2021 at 7:59am
Print Post  
I ll give that a go. I did completely remove the tang mounted screw with h holds the short flat spring, but nothing happen then, but I did not screw in the small one that is between the two triggers. It is almost not accessible because the front trigger is resting on it. I did take some photos of it, and will try to figure out hw to get them posted..never done that

Pro Deo et Pro Patria

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jun 4th, 2021 at 8:29am
Print Post  
577Nitro wrote on Jun 4th, 2021 at 7:59am:
  It is almost not accessible because the front trigger is resting on it. I did take some photos of it, and will try to figure out hw to get them posted..never done that

That does not sound normal so either something is quite bent or you have some custom parts. Hopefully you can getvsome pictures posted

IP Logged

577Nitro

Reply #13 - Jun 4th, 2021 at 8:34am
Print Post  
I ll give that a go. I did completely remove the tang mounted screw with h holds the short flat spring, but nothing happen then, but I did not screw in the small one that is between the two triggers. It is almost not accessible because the front trigger is resting on it. I did take some photos of it, and will try to figure out hw to get them posted..never done that. 
Well, I was able to tighten the small screw completely down, but nothing loosened up. I also took the small flat spring off--same. What does the long wire spring do? its just sort of sitting there. 
How does the pin that holds that front trigger removed? from the left side or right of the housing?

Thanks all
I sent the mechanism off to the gunsmith this AM
« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2021 at 12:40pm by 577Nitro »  

Pro Deo et Pro Patria

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint