Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Breech loading Gap (Read 3005 times)
577Nitro

Breech loading Gap
May 30th, 2021 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Could not find answer to my question, so here goes...IS there a gap required/common between the bullet base and the cartridge mouth when breech loading, or do you go let the bullet and the mouth "seat" as is a normal loaded round?

Pro Deo et Pro Patria

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Breech loading Gap
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2021 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
The old standard for breech seating is to place the bullet in the barrel, with the base 1/16" (approximately) ahead of case mouth. This is a good place to start. Your rifle may perform best with slightly shallower or deeper seating. You want to ensure your bullet base bearing band completely fills groove diameter of your barrel. It's best if your bullet base band is approximately .001" greater than the groove diameter of your barrel.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

577Nitro

Reply #2 - May 30th, 2021 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Thank you Randy, that clears that up as I have read several differing pieces of information. So on my first few attempts I give your suggestion a go. I'll load conventual rounds and then breech and so on...Enjoying your book when I can read it..about halfway there.
Thank you
Fred

Pro Deo et Pro Patria

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #3 - May 30th, 2021 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
577Nitro wrote on May 30th, 2021 at 3:34pm:
Could not find answer to my question, so here goes...IS there a gap required/common between the bullet base and the cartridge mouth when breech loading, or do you go let the bullet and the mouth "seat" as is a normal loaded round?

Are you talking about breech seating bullets or breachloading?  Two different things.  Your header says "breechloading gap". 

Are you using Grammarly?

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

577Nitro

Reply #4 - May 30th, 2021 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
Breech seating per Randy's book, Breech loading there better not be a gap between the bullet and case...and at my age graaahmerlii doesn't sink much all the time.. Wink

Pro Deo et Pro Patria

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 30th, 2021 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Actually it all depends on how much Freebore one's Rifle has to be able establish the correct seating depth and of course having the proper bullet fit. I have found based on my own personal experience that the bullet needs to be engraving completely through the base of the bullet or just shy of.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

577Nitro

Reply #6 - May 30th, 2021 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
In that case the potential space could/would be dependent of the free bore and the shape of the bullet nose  plus overall length of course is that correct?

Pro Deo et Pro Patria

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - May 30th, 2021 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
I would have to say yes. The 28-35 Reamer that borrowed from a very close friend had 220 thousandths of freebore ground into it. That rifle provided me with quite a few competitive honors and if I used the 1/16 ahead of the case rule of thumb it would not have engraved much beyond just the nose itself if that. I personally engraved my bullet of choice just beyond the base and I had extreme success doing just that. I have also done the same with every extremely competitive Schuetzen rifle that I have owned over the past 23 years.

IP Logged

577Nitro

Reply #8 - May 30th, 2021 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Ok, I need to make a cast of the chamber and first inch or so of the throat/rifling to see how much I have...This is a new rifle to me, and need to get the bore right anyway....Thank you sir!
I really am determined to try this method instead of fixed case loading

Pro Deo et Pro Patria

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #9 - May 30th, 2021 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
I agree with JLouis. My rifles shoot best with the bullet fully engraved in the rifling. Other rifles may prefer something different.

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

577Nitro

Reply #10 - May 31st, 2021 at 9:04am
Print Post  
What you think/know is the distance from the case mouth to the base of your bullet? It has been suggested as you've read possibly as much as a 1/16 of an inch. Do you think that the neck area of the bullet still swells to prevent gases going back along the cartridge.

Pro Deo et Pro Patria

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - May 31st, 2021 at 10:11am
Print Post  
Yes the neck of the case will keep any gases from getting past the case. And it also helps to flair the mouth of the case until you can feel it starting to scrap the sides of the chamber when going in. 
I believe that is what you were asking.
« Last Edit: May 31st, 2021 at 10:20am by JLouis »  

IP Logged

577Nitro

Reply #12 - May 31st, 2021 at 10:26am
Print Post  
ok, that makes sense. Also I have several kinds of wads that I have used, 1) a very thin cork,2) thin pure bees wax,3)milk carton, and different Ballistics product wads per the caliber or gauge. Will these still be appropriate for the particular load and depth?

Pro Deo et Pro Patria

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - May 31st, 2021 at 10:46am
Print Post  
When breech seating if can insert the case behind the seated bullet without spilling any powder you do not need to a use any type of wad nor would I use any of those you mentioned. On the other hand if you cannot get the case into the chamber without spilling powder then use floral foam at the mouth of the case as a wad. You can get it at places like Hobby Lobby or floral supply stores. It comes in blocks and I like the dry over the wet. You then slice it into 1/4 thick slices to be able to use it. How you just push the mouth of the case through the foam. You now have a wad at the mouth of the case and its all ready to use. 
I hope that makes sense.

IP Logged

577Nitro

Reply #14 - May 31st, 2021 at 10:56am
Print Post  
yes it does make sense, but why the florist foam over any other Not having a method of absolutely retaining the powder is a bit daunting as with my double rifles I have extracted a round where the bullet loosen under recoil from the other chamber...spent probably a half hour cleaning the action of powder in order to close lock and operate correctly.
I just did a quick search and fine that Flora foam comes in two varieties Wet and Dry, which to use?
« Last Edit: May 31st, 2021 at 11:08am by 577Nitro »  

Pro Deo et Pro Patria

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint