Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Lyman 438 field scope (Read 1765 times)
Retreever

Lyman 438 field scope
May 19th, 2021 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Recently acquired a vintage Lyman 438 field scope , it came with the original rear mount and has the Pope rib and stop ring but is missing the front mount. Does anyone know where I might be able to find one?

TIA Retreever

IP Logged

jimmy
Senior Forum Member

Now available in Oklahoma.

Re: Lyman 438 field scope
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2021 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Ebay probably. Though I don't think that's very common.

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #2 - May 19th, 2021 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
I'm afraid jimmy is right.  Judging by what you see for sale noadays, most 438 scopes seem to have been fitted with receiver side mounts.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 19th, 2021 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
I have several on rifles that I bought several years back. An option is to find a poor condition scope that has the mount or mount you need for a good price. Never had a problem finding them with the correct mounts back then.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - May 20th, 2021 at 9:24am
Print Post  
Yes, either finding a used 438, or a pair of mounts will likely be the only way to find the front mount. The 438 was offered with two different rear mounts. The basic locking screw type, or 1/4 minute click. Front mounts from other Lyman scopes using the same rib will work also.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - May 20th, 2021 at 10:44am
Print Post  
And be advised that the mounts were made of an inferior metal, at least the couple that I crossed paths with did. Pot metal, methinks, or at best a cheap grade of soft aluminum. The female locking screw threads can easily strip if the screws are energetically tightened. In both instances when they were brought to me I had to drill and tap new holes on the LH side of the mounts, epoxied the Original screws into the RH side as dummies, and reversed the scope blocks on the rifles to accept the new screws - and pleaded with the guy to not over tighten them in future.

I don't know if it's a problem indigenous to the 438 scopes as my experience is with a total of two examples, but ever since then I've kind of shied away from them. When I've needed small straight tubed scopes of that ilk I've gone straight to the Fecker and Unertl Small Game scopes (and one Lyman5A) and have enjoyed their excellent utility.

IP Logged

TDW

Reply #6 - May 20th, 2021 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
I had MVA make a replacement for the ruined pot metal original on my 438 Field. It is very similar in shape and styling to the Lyman 5A front mount. The replacement is blued to match the rear mount, made of good steel, and functions perfectly. I don't remember what I paid, as it was more than 10 years ago, but it was close to $100.
Tom

"The farther North you go, the more things you will run into that will eat your horse."
S.P. Garbe, Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness, 1980

IP Logged

Retreever

Reply #7 - May 21st, 2021 at 8:57am
Print Post  
Thanks to everyone who replied and pm'ed me. I probably should have said I am in Canada and US export regulations makes it difficult to import scope or scope components.

I have a HiLux 6x Scope and the mounts look very similar to the Lyman I need to check it out when I have a minute.

Retreever

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - May 28th, 2021 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
I put one of their front mounts on an old Lischert (sp?) 8x.  Seems more than sturdy enough, and works just fine.

Price was pretty good too as I recall.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint