Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Breech loading Gap (Read 3018 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Breech loading Gap
Reply #15 - May 31st, 2021 at 11:22am
Print Post  
I like the dry. I used to use a vegetable fiber wad behind the bullet until I found one that was turned sideways half way down the bore. 1/16 cork is also ok if you have a wad cutting punch but the floral foam is actually easier to use. If you stick a piece of dry floral foam and or a piece of 1/16 cork on the end of a toothpick and then light both on fire they will both very quickly just simply turn into ashes and very safe to use.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - May 31st, 2021 at 11:47am
Print Post  
577Nitro
Please - don't overthink breech seating. As a relative newcomer to this form of loading, keep it simple until you get proficient at loading and shooting your rifle. Others have made valid and valuable suggestions but get the basics nailed down before you start chasing your tail with various wad materials and seating depth(s). You need to establish a baseline of your rifle's accuracy and your ability to shoot. The wad and seating suggestions may make slight accuracy improvements but first, you should have a starting point against which you can measure any changes you make to your loading procedure.
As JLouis suggested, "if can insert the case behind the seated bullet without spilling any powder you do not need to a use any type of wad". Once you can consistently shoot good groups - that is the time to start experimenting with various wads, seating depths, etc. 
Good luck and please keep us informed on your progress.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - May 31st, 2021 at 11:57am
Print Post  
What cartridge is your rifle chambered for and the reason I ask if using smokeless powder and I will use a 32-40 for example. A typical load being used lets say of AA-9 or 300MP and what I use is only 14.2 to 14.4 grains depending on the outside temp. This provides me with a 1474fps average velocity at my altitude and a 200 grain bullet. Going up from there one can start seeing pressure signs start to develop and should then be considered as being to hot of a load.

IP Logged

577Nitro

Reply #18 - May 31st, 2021 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
Point well taken...thats just my engineering background kicking in. I have done a great deal of working up loads for my doubles, so I am aware of some of the issues...biggest complaint right now is a suitable place to shoot, that I don't have to pack a lunch and napsack....its something I had not thought of when we left CO.

Pro Deo et Pro Patria

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - May 31st, 2021 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
When you left Co. where are you now at? Someone here might be close enough to you to help you out and to get you started. As RWS stated don't over think it as it is really not at all that difficult and it is actually quite easy to do. If you enjoy it buy or make what you need like a Harrel Schuetzen measure, breech seater and a re&decaper so you can spend a day out at a range and loading at the bench. Once you get the hang of it and find out what your rifle likes you might be amazed at how extremely accurate your rifle will actually shoot out to 200 yds. And then hopefully you can find some Schuetzen or CBA monthly matches in your area to shoot. Or to just go out and to enjoy a real nice day at the range all on your own. And keep the questions coming we might be able to get you where you would like your rifle to be accuracy wise. Allot quicker than just trying to have to figure it all out on your own.

IP Logged

577Nitro

Reply #20 - May 31st, 2021 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
I live in Southern MD  near Solomons island. My closest range is about 50 miles from me towards Wash. DC along with this Covid monster have not been able to shoot but twice this year, and that was with two other rifles, 45-70, 40-65 and a 577NE. So my critical sources are the internet Randy's book, and a lot of varying information doing searches. So I do appreciate all of the Comments towards my way, and will employ them accordingly.

Pro Deo et Pro Patria

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint