Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Freund Ballard (Read 2488 times)
oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Freund Ballard
May 16th, 2021 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Was looking at a Freund catalog and saw the Freund Ballard with "strengthening" in hammer and hammerless versions. Anyone have one and can show us pics?

IP Logged

kensmachine
Oldtimer

Re: Freund Ballard
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2021 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
the Freund ballard is just as hard to find as a Freund 1878 sharps or harder I have herd of 1 Freund 1878 sharps. never seen one I have seen one I think was a Freund 1878 but it dint have the Freund breach block the one that was in the gun had a different Finnish then the rest of the gun Ken

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - May 18th, 2021 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
On a related topic, after reading all the old reports on the Freund Sharps modifications in Kelver's Single Shot Notes, it is a wonder no company has currently mass produced them or even offered them as an upgrade to their regular 1874s. I believe there was one gunsmith in Colorado that was offering the modification on a custom basis.

IP Logged

John Rigby

Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2021 at 9:35am
Print Post  
My friend, Shon Eychaner, is making me one with the double extractor and camming breach-block with altered hammer shape.  He made one for himself and had it engraved ala Freund. Had mine chambered in 40-65 RL chamber.  Should be finished in a couple weeks.

John Rigby

IP Logged

TRowe

Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2021 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
I have seen a 78 Frund Sharps. It was in a collection near Miami and is now in a collection in California. It is the only one I have seen or heard of. Caliber was .45-70.

IP Logged

Longdistance1
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Jun 2nd, 2021 at 2:03am
Print Post  
Did you happen to get any pic's?
LD1

IP Logged

kensmachine
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Jun 2nd, 2021 at 9:13am
Print Post  
The guy  in Miami was going to send me pictures but never did. He got in touch with me to buy some screws for the rifle. We talked on the phone a number of times. He told me someone told him a welding shop had got a number of guns and was going to weld them into a gate and went to see what they had and found the Frund 78 sharps. Ken

IP Logged

Tom_Trevor assra life no.71
Oldtimer

Tom Trevor

Reply #7 - Jun 3rd, 2021 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
The Freund Ballard can be found in Pablo Balentines book Freund and Bro. 1997 Graphic Publishers.  Pages 178-181 and 215. Also the patents and patent drawings are shown.
There is also a reprint of the 1878 Cheyenne Wyoming catalog Showing the Sharps Ballard and 1878 rifles. No information on who printed it.

IP Logged

TRowe

Reply #8 - Jun 7th, 2021 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
I just looked at my photo data base and I guess I never took photos of it. I probably can contact the owner if you need photos, or better yet give him your name. It had a really strange looking breech block.

IP Logged

CW
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Jun 8th, 2021 at 9:20am
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on May 18th, 2021 at 5:17pm:
On a related topic, after reading all the old reports on the Freund Sharps modifications in Kelver's Single Shot Notes, it is a wonder no company has currently mass produced them or even offered them as an upgrade to their regular 1874s. I believe there was one gunsmith in Colorado that was offering the modification on a custom basis.

I was told, that "one gunsmith" was told by someone's  lawyers to stop making them or there would be trouble. 

IP Logged

Tom_Trevor assra life no.71
Oldtimer

Tom Trevor

Reply #10 - Jun 8th, 2021 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
CW, Schuetzen gun company in Loveland Colorado. Claims to hold the Freund trademark and are the only company making Freund patent Sharps rifles and J.P. Gemmer conversions. No idea if they are the company told to stop making them and by who?. They still run an add in the BPCR news.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint