Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic A few random Cartridges (Read 1865 times)
CharleHunter
Senior Forum Member

A few random Cartridges
Apr 4th, 2021 at 2:54am
Print Post  
Doing some cleaning up in the gun room and I came across a shoe box with random loose rounds (which is odd as I have all of my reference ammo collection stored differently). The box had numerous things in it from rimfire rounds of different calibres, various brass shot shells, a number of .360 2 1/4 Eley. These ones however seemed to be even more random  Grin

Posted purely for interest!

IP Logged

Bnelson

Re: A few random Cartridges
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2021 at 8:02am
Print Post  
Hello Charlie,
    Interesting group of cartridges.  I am especially interested in the one thick head Maynard cartridge.  I believe it is a 50-70 version.  Maynard made them both in a 50-70 government and their own 50-70.  They were slightly different.  I have a 50-70 Maynard version rifle that I have made brass from 348 Winchester brass.  The Base is .557 and overall length is 1.88.  Yours sure looks like the same one.  If you ever decide you wouldn't mind parting with that one, I would love to get if from you.   
Thanks,
Bruce

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 4th, 2021 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Here's the rifle that goes with #1.

IP Logged

CharleHunter
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Apr 4th, 2021 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
Bnelson wrote on Apr 4th, 2021 at 8:02am:
Hello Charlie,
    Interesting group of cartridges.  I am especially interested in the one thick head Maynard cartridge.  I believe it is a 50-70 version.  Maynard made them both in a 50-70 government and their own 50-70.  They were slightly different.  I have a 50-70 Maynard version rifle that I have made brass from 348 Winchester brass.  The Base is .557 and overall length is 1.88.  Yours sure looks like the same one.  If you ever decide you wouldn't mind parting with that one, I would love to get if from you.  
Thanks,
Bruce 

Bruce here is another picture with dimensions. Unfortunately I am located out here is Australia and I don't think there is any easy or inexpensive way to send ammunition any more  Angry

Stephen

IP Logged

Bnelson

Reply #4 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 8:56am
Print Post  
Stephen,
     Looking at your dimensions, it appears your cartridge is the 55-100.  It is slightly larger than my 50-70 at the base, but very similar.  According to Layman, it was primarily sold as a shotgun, but there were some rifle cartridges made for is also.  It's a real neat piece.   
Bruce

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Apr 8th, 2021 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
Looking at that ring ahead of the rim might that actually be a means of attachment of the rim and the web to the rest of the case?

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint